NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

good news

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

good news

Postby scotty » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:37 pm

varizoltan just sent me a note. He is on his way to miami and will try to visit. :D

PS I have the 50 pounds of malt for my next run but i've been getting both hips replaced so im out of comission. soon though. i cant wait. :)
still searching for the knowledge
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Re: good news

Postby Pudge72 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:14 pm

Sorry, being new here, I'm not sure what this refers to...is there another thread that this should be connected to? :?
The wishlist is always growing...
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby DavidH » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Pudge72 wrote:Sorry, being new here, I'm not sure what this refers to...is there another thread that this should be connected to? :?

Have a look at scotty's fascinating posts on home distillation.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Pudge72 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:18 pm

DavidH wrote:
Pudge72 wrote:Sorry, being new here, I'm not sure what this refers to...is there another thread that this should be connected to? :?

Have a look at scotty's fascinating posts on home distillation.

Thanks 'DavidH' for plugging me in to the various threads...very cool stuff! :geek: :thumbsup:
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby varizoltan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:27 am

in Louisiana, 830 miles away, getting close 8-)

so, may not be tomorrow night, but surely wednesday morning, i be there ;)
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby scotty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:45 am

We will be here. If you get here before 10 am, i will shoot you. I'm retired
:D
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby Pudge72 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:34 am

scotty wrote:We will be here. If you get here before 10 am, i will shoot you. I'm retired

:lol: my wife might feel the same way some days about an early morning visitor, though she's not close to being retired...she's just not a morning person! :)
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IainB » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:58 am

scotty wrote:We will be here. If you get here before 10 am, i will shoot you. I'm retired

Bear in mind Zoltan that you're in the Southern US now - when he says he'll shoot you he probably means it. Also it will probably be legal. ;)
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:49 am

IainB wrote:

Bear in mind Zoltan that you're in the Southern US now - when he says he'll shoot you he probably means it. Also it will probably be legal. ;)

A cartridge refilled with rock salt should pack a nice welcome if the "fatboy" arrives too early ;) :lol:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby scotty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:20 pm

Thanks. I was too lazy to write all that but those are my exact thoughts. :lol:
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:22 pm

it is a Harley Electra Glide Classic, and will be on the drive way in an hour or so :thumbsup:
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby scotty » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Zoltan gave me an education by letting me taste 3 styles of Irish whiskey. I couldnt believe that the taste was so diferent. Now i cant wait to run my single malt.
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby IainB » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:28 pm

varizoltan wrote:it is a Harley Electra Glide Classic, and will be on the drive way in an hour or so :thumbsup:

I've got to imagine it's both illegal and dangerous to post while driving a motorbike!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:55 pm

scotty wrote:Zoltan gave me an education by letting me taste 3 styles of Irish whiskey. I couldnt believe that the taste was so diferent. Now i cant wait to run my single malt.

I see Yellow Spot and, I assume, Zoltan's own Tyrconnell 17.5yo. Not sure what the other one was but you have tried two of the best Irish whiskeys there anyway, in my opinion.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby scotty » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:13 am

Dave, I always remember you commenting to me about there being a reason for single malt ((basicly the flavour) Truly i was shocked to find all 3 of the whiskeys so noticably diferent in taste. In all my 70 years i never even gave it much thought.
:D My visitor has renewed my entheuseasm to mash some of my barley malt and also to gain more knowledge. We discussed ageing and oaking for quite some time.

Unfortunately because of my health in the past 2 years, i didnt have a drop of any of my home made to let him evaluate.
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:44 am

the third whiskey was Tullamore Dew Black 43, (but i did not have the original bottle anymore)

it was great to meet Scotty today, and seen his home lab, and micro distillery

can't wait to taste the new stuff :thumbsup:

now i am stretching out on Miami beach for a day 8-) :lol:
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby scotty » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:35 pm

It was our pleasure and quite educational to have a visit from Zoltan.
I will try and forget that the #$%$# %$#@ is now suffering and basking in the sun on Miami beach. :lol:
My sparge tank will be done in a few days and then ill mash a single malt to tripple pot distill.

The great thing now is that for the first time in my life i will actually try the taste of the result. :D
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby scotty » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:58 pm

My hot liquor tank is getting finished.

We just mounted the digital hermostat. The heat element is 2KW and will draw 17 amps. The control realy is rated for 16 max. I will add a SSR rated at 40 amps. This will allow me to install a larger size heat element later

scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby scotty » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:55 pm

My first all barley malt mash went bad-- i got very lazy and didnt sanitize properly----you cant cheat when making a mash. :thumbsdown: :cry:
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:15 pm

scotty wrote:My first all barley malt mash went bad-- i got very lazy and didnt sanitize properly----you cant cheat when making a mash. :thumbsdown: :cry:

Bad luck Scotty, a good lesson for all though.

I Had Been thinking about doing some home brew (beer) myself for a long while but not sure if it is worth the hassle due to the that exact reason. My shed is very dusty :?
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby PureDrop » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:36 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:I Had Been thinking about doing some home brew (beer) myself for a long while ...

I have all the kit, boiler, fermenting jars, crowner, ... if you want a very very long term loan! empty bottles too ... and books and ...
I used to do a very good stout and a hoegaarden smell-a-like and indeed a decent cider.
/M
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby scotty » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:19 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
scotty wrote:My first all barley malt mash went bad-- i got very lazy and didnt sanitize properly----you cant cheat when making a mash. :thumbsdown: :cry:

Bad luck Scotty, a good lesson for all though.

I Had Been thinking about doing some home brew (beer) myself for a long while but not sure if it is worth the hassle due to the that exact reason. My shed is very dusty :?

I just finished re enforcing my brew table. I still have 35 pounds of barley malt left. I will have to deviate from my single malt idea and just do an irish whiskey recipe. I just purchased 50 usa pounds of flaked barley-unmalted 22.7 kilos

The recipe i will use is 75% unmalted barley and 25% malted barley. I'm not using the wheat, rye and oats in an attempt to try to get a single grain profile if there is such a thing.
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby scotty » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:23 pm

PureDrop wrote:
IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:I Had Been thinking about doing some home brew (beer) myself for a long while ...

I have all the kit, boiler, fermenting jars, crowner, ... if you want a very very long term loan! empty bottles too ... and books and ...
I used to do a very good stout and a hoegaarden smell-a-like and indeed a decent cider.
/M

Pure drop
can you give me a recipe for a beer that is typically Irish. Ihave all the equipment and a converted fridge. but never made beer.
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Re: good news (Stout recipe)

Postby PureDrop » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:06 am

can you give me a recipe for a beer that is typically Irish. Ihave all the equipment and a converted fridge. but never made beer.

Apologies for being off the radar for a while. Here's a stout receipe that works ... gave me a very close approximation to bottled Guinness which I quite like.

Volume: 2 gallons
1oz Northern Brewer hops (in boil 25 min)
1oz Fuggles hops (in boil 10 min)
2lb malt extract (liquid)
6oz crushed crystal malt
8oz black malt
1oz chololate malt
1oz roasted barley
1oz wheat malt
2oz brown rice
1tsp salt
2 tbsp+ strong brewed tea (for tannin)

4 tbsp lemon juice
1 sachet gervin ale yeast (or other ale yeast)

Don't crack the chocolate malt.
Simmer ~6 pints water and stir in the malt extract.
Add the grains and 1/2 the hops.
Cover & simmer for 15 mins (25 mins in my last batch)
Add remaining hops & simmer for another 10 minutes or so.
Stop heat & allow to cool.
Strain off the contents into a fermenter & add yeast ( plus cold tea & lemon juice).
Top up to 2 gallons, ferment and rack to secondary after 7 days. After further 7 days (or when finishing gravity is acheived) prime with corn sugar and bottle. The beer is ready to drink after 6 weeks, but peaked at about 15 months in my case!

Its been quite a while (March 2000) since I brewed this, but it was my favourite.
Adjust as you like (e.g. some oats/porridge for different mouth feel etc.).
Enjoy.
Michael
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby scotty » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:49 am

Thanks puredrop--

I'm almost done converting my mash tun to internal electric. I will first try to make irish style whiske as i have been wanting to do forever. Then ill do a beer.
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Return to Everything Else