NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

All-Ireland Hurling Final 2010.

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

All-Ireland Hurling Final 2010.

Postby John » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:11 pm

Once again the tension is building. Two of hurling's Titans will face each other on the sacred ground of Pairc Ui Chrocaigh to win the much coveted Liam MacCarthy. Special year for Kilkenny as they try for a fifth successive title in a row and it would prove an even more special year for Tipperary if they managed to stop them!

And where will I be? On the couch?; so close to the TV that I can count the pixels on the ref's face?; making complementary comments about the skill of the opposition? No, I'll be either in Slovenia or Croatia - neither one a hurling stronghold I hasten to add!!. I'm really hoping I can get some form of Setanta TV/Internet coverage for the game!! :(

I'll be hoping for the 5-in-a-row btw :D ;)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Re: All-Ireland Hurling Final 2010.

Postby JohnM » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Sorry, John, but I'll be cheering for Tipp. Think they "deserve" it after last year. Not sure they'll do it, though.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:31 pm

I'll have to plug for the Cats also and hope that Sheflin is brought on for 5mins to claim a medal if things are going Kilkenny's way.

Anybody got 2 premium seat going a begging :)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby John » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:47 pm

That hurts JohnM, it just cuts me to the bone :cry: ;)

I agree Adrian, it would be truly a real shame if Shef didn't collect a medal - but something tells me that he's just rolling into the 2nd of his nine lives as a 'Cat' and he'll manage a guest appearance!! (Hopefully :thumbsup: )
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby IainB » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:47 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:I'll have to plug for the Cats also and hope that Sheflin is brought on for 5mins to claim a medal if things are going Kilkenny's way.

Anybody got 2 premium seat going a begging :)

Did he not just have a miraculous recovery or something?

Besides, you're a kerryman - what do you know about hurling??
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:17 pm

IainB wrote:
Did he not just have a miraculous recovery or something?

Besides, you're a kerryman - what do you know about hurling??

Not sure on the miraculous recovery but he has a chance ;)

Yes being a Kerryman does not help in these matters but I am half Kilkenny & half Galway now by default so I picked one or two things on the way ... I wonder does that make me a man and a half so ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:50 pm

If I'm not mistakend Tipp borders both Galway and Kilkenny - do you think they're worried you might have them surrounded??
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:18 am

IainB wrote:If I'm not mistakend Tipp borders both Galway and Kilkenny - do you think they're worried you might have them surrounded??

You might have something there ... and especially if I start waving a Kerry flag around ... that would really throw them !!!

SHould be a good match though ... Kilkenny had a bad semi in preperation as Cork were muck ... probably one of the worst displays we've seen in a long time from Cork in a semi. Tipp on the other hand had a slightly more even contest but even so they always seemed Comfortable against Waterford.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby PureDrop » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:37 pm

If Tipp win, we'll relabel the remaining bottles of Locke's "Premier Crew" in honour of the Premier County!!! Now that would be a collectable whiskey!
/M (Tipp genes in the blood)
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby jcskinner » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:25 am

I don't care who wins as long as they all go home straight afterwards.
Which they won't, more's the pity.
Last hurling match at Croker, some drunks lobbed stones at my car. :(
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IainB » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Were they locals or from elsewhere?
IainB
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:39 pm

Certainly not locals.
Almost definitely hurling 'fans' up in the city for the match.
Every time there's a big GAA match, the area gets destroyed. Rubbish, puke and other bodily emanations all over the place, shouting their heads off till all hours, and of course the casual vandalism like with my car.
It never happens after concerts or indeed soccer or rugby games. It's only the GAA crowd cause the trouble.
Getting pretty sick of it at this stage. The car's been vandalised three times after big GAA matches in the past six months. It's ruined, covered in malicious scratches and now there's a cracked windscreen too. To be honest, I'm thinking of moving as a result.
I wish these people would learn to control themselves and not treat a match at Croke Park as an excuse to behave like drunken cavemen. I'm absolutely dreading Sunday. I'm actually praying there's a fifteen hour hailstorm or a fire at the stadium and the whole thing's cancelled on Saturday night.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby DavidH » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:45 pm

They serve alcohol there? Could the local councillors not put an end to that? Soft drinks and hot dogs should be plenty to fuel the fun.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:27 pm

Just out of curiosity is it just hurling matches or gaelic football too? Does it depend on which counties are playing? I'm not suggesting that you've conducted an extensive survey but have you noticed any patterns? What if Dublin are playing?
IainB
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:14 pm

I think they serve alcohol at GAA matches, but you can't drink in your seat, only at the bars. And it's both codes. The worst I had till my car window got done was during the football earlier in the summer, when I had to eject one drunk from weeing in my front garden in front of my daughter (who was watching from the front room) in the middle of the afternoon while the game was actually on.
The real trouble occurs with people bringing their own drink, then getting tanked up further at certain bars in the area. And the Gardai won't do anything to restrict those few businesses from trading late into the night for some reason (GAA heads, I presume) so we're stuck with the endless late licenses and the trouble.
I tend to find less hassle if Dublin are playing, because the fans all head home afterwards. Sort of the same if nearby counties are playing, like Wicklow or Meath. Though Kildare fans hung around for ages last week despite being royally humiliated by Down.
If they're from down the country though, they hang about all day and into the night, which is when the hassle happens. Falling out of pubs at 3 in the morning, it seems like craic to them to destroy local residents' property. Of course, during the daytime, they merely pee all over the street and lash rubbish into the garden. My front garden is all weeds now, because there's no point trying to make it nice. Same with all my neighbours too.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IainB » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:23 pm

What you need to do is to lay a wire mesh down in the garden connected to a small, say 15 - 20 volt current. Switch it on at the relevant times. They won't pee in your garden again.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:26 pm

IainB wrote:What you need to do is to lay a wire mesh down in the garden connected to a small, say 15 - 20 volt current. Switch it on at the relevant times. They won't pee in your garden again.

No such thing as a 15 to 20 V current.

Sorry for being pedantic. Really, I'm sorry.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm from the North.
I find myself dreaming of planting booby traps around the neighbourhood during the game.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IainB » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:35 pm

JohnM wrote:
IainB wrote:What you need to do is to lay a wire mesh down in the garden connected to a small, say 15 - 20 volt current. Switch it on at the relevant times. They won't pee in your garden again.

I know there's a 9. And there's a 220. I picked something a little more than 9 and a lot less than 220. I thought it best that JC didn't hospitalise the culchies. What you you suggest. Mr Picky.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IainB » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:37 pm

jcskinner wrote:I'm from the North.
I find myself dreaming of planting booby traps around the neighbourhood during the game.

I know but these are new times for Norn Irn. Let's just stick to electrocuting people who are upsetting us rather than actually blowing them up! ;) ;)
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:40 pm

IainB wrote:
JohnM wrote:

I know there's a 9. And there's a 220. I picked something a little more than 9 and a lot less than 220. I thought it best that JC didn't hospitalise the culchies. What you you suggest. Mr Picky.

I was only joking, but dem's amps that represent current.

I suggest organising a major sporting event outside the peeing people's houses [Leviticus 24]
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:45 pm

Now I'm just confused. I know then I was in school i managed rig a 12v battery to one of my sisters thing which gave her a little shock whenever she touched it. That was funny.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:52 pm

That's because the potential difference the battery and your sister induced a current. If you set it up again I may be able to work out the current passing through your sister.

As you sister will have grown since then, we're going to need a larger voltage.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:58 pm

JohnM wrote:That's because the potential difference the battery and your sister induced a current. If you set it up again I may be able to work out the current passing through your sister.

As you sister will have grown since then, we're going to need a larger voltage.

See now I wouldn't bother. My wife's brother is an electrician. He does all our electrical stuff. I'd just get him to do it.

In fact I've noticed that when a light bulb goes if I ignore it for long enough he gets p****d off at my laziness on his visits and changes it for me. Well, it is an electrical matter.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:01 am

IainB wrote:
jcskinner wrote:I'm from the North.

I know but these are new times for Norn Irn. Let's just stick to electrocuting people who are upsetting us rather than actually blowing them up! ;) ;)

I hear what you're saying, and my other half also cautions tolerance, but yet, late in the night, as the cries of the drunks outside continue in the darkness, I find myself lying awake in my bed thinking of mercury tilt switches...
I just wish they'd go home after the games and not cause so much hassle in my neighbourhood is all. But I guess nothing's going to change anytime soon. I'll be looking to move.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Next

Return to Everything Else