NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

A new distillery in Tipperary?

Let's talk whiskey.

A new distillery in Tipperary?

Postby DavidH » Sun May 02, 2010 3:30 am

The Scotsman has big news today. They say that William Grant, who just bought Tullamore Dew, plans to build a distillery here to make it.

Wow! :D
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Re: A new distillery in Tipperary?

Postby JohnM » Sun May 02, 2010 8:22 am

That would be excellent.

The more Irish whiskey on the shelf, the more will be bought, I believe. Would force others to up their game even further.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Fionnán » Wed May 05, 2010 3:46 pm

Any word on what they plan to make at this new distillery? Will it just continue to be a pps/grain blend along similar lines to the current product? will it become a malt/grain blend? a single malt? or maybe even (gasp) a pps whiskey like the original stuff from Daly's of Tullamore? Any combination of the above?
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby jcskinner » Wed May 05, 2010 4:30 pm

Afaik, the deal doesn't go through until C+C shareholders approve it which won't be till June.
So there won't be many details emerging until after that, I guess.
But no harm in calling them to ask, I suppose. I'll give Grant a bell.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby John » Thu May 06, 2010 10:34 am

The biggest surprise for me in that article was that Tullamore Dew outsells Bushmills - which I presume takes third place in worlwide sales?
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby Fionnán » Thu May 06, 2010 1:00 pm

I was also surprised by that John. Although, here in the states at least, Tullamore Dew have crafted a niche among college kids and other cheap-end buyers looking to buy Irish whiskey because they're fractionally cheaper than either Jameson or Bushmills White.
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby jcskinner » Thu May 06, 2010 5:59 pm

Grant not that keen to talk about their plans at the moment. They want to wait a few weeks before making any announcement.
But unofficially, I'm led to believe the purchase of the brand is only the beginning of what they hope to do.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby cathach » Sun May 09, 2010 6:50 pm

This could be great news and really shake up the market. However I must say I;m very surprised at C&C off-loading the most profitable part of their business. But as we know different logic operates in the higher ends of business. :shock:
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Tue May 11, 2010 12:24 pm

it will be 10 years before we taste anything new if it is going, but will be interesting to see new whiskeys on the market
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Tue May 11, 2010 12:48 pm

You might not be too far off the mark with 10 years Zoltan; depending on the amount of development that they have to complete beforehand.
So we'll have Cork whiskey, Kerry whiskey and Tipperary whiskey? These Munstermen are trying to steal a march I reckon? :lol:
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Tue May 11, 2010 12:56 pm

yes,
i ment contract not finalised, planning can take a year, building another, 3 years before it is called whiskey so that is 5 years already, and 10 years time the whiskey be 7-8 years old, where whiskey really begin
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Return to Whiskey