NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Lost Distilleries of Ireland

Let's talk whiskey.

Lost Distilleries of Ireland

Postby DavidH » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:41 am

I noticed the Lost Distilleries of Ireland book in the Hodges Figgis sale for €6.99.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Re: Lost Distilleries of Ireland

Postby varizoltan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:17 pm

that is good :thumbsup: , i think i paid 20 for it a few years ago
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby PureDrop » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:17 pm

I thought I had this book but ...
Is there much there about the Dodder Bank Distillery in Dublin, aka Haig's Distillery?
I came across when reading about a plan to divert the Dodder - its there on modern day Herbert Road., near Landsdowne Rd., Dublin.
I have it on (repro) maps of 1816, 1821 and missing from the 1756 map.

from http://www.chaptersofdublin.com/books/Neighbourhood/chapter2.html
Up to about 1840 there was a famous concern known as Haig's Distillery on the banks of the Dodder immediately eastward of the present Herbert Bridge, but I believe it had ceased working for several years prior to that date. It was approached from Haig's Avenue and Watery Lane (now Lansdowne Road) by a stone weir across the river, and the buildings extended a considerable distance along the banks, surrounded by meadows and grass lands. This establishment had become notorious by reason of its frequent conflicts with the Revenue authorities, and the audacity with which its operations were conducted both by day and night. Many strange stories were told as to encounters with excise officers in its earlier years, and the rumour was current in the neighbourhood that several of these unpopular functionaries had mysteriously "disappeared" in the establishment. The proprietor undoubtedly fought the Revenue both physically and legally by every means that his ingenuity could devise, but being beaten, he had to succumb. in the end, and his concern was ultimately dismantled. A local builder purchased the old buildings some years afterwards, and it was understood that he had effected an excellent bargain, as the debris included a great quantity of copper tubing and machinery. The stones of the old building were utilised in laying down the foundations of the two roads constructed across the distillery fields - viz., Herbert Road and Newbridge Avenue.

and from http://www.mountherberthotel.ie/about-us
Mount Herbert Hotel is sited on the old Haig's Distillery. The Distillery was set on 21 acres, and operated from 1769 to 1860. The nearby river Dodder supplied power to the Distillery, through a sluice running wheel on the river.

The Distillery was founded by Robert Haig, who was descended from John Haig, Laird of Bemersyde, the first Distiller of the famous scotch whisky. The hotel consists of a terrace of interconnecting houses which were originally constructed in 1866, and were built with bricks from the old Distillery.

The map below is upside down (south is up) and the map is distorted by the proposed new channel for the Dodder running to the left.
DodderBankDistillery.jpg
DodderBankDistillery.jpg (96.55 KiB) Viewed 1767 times

and to update this post, here's one from the on-line OSI map (see this post)
Haigs4.jpg
Haigs4.jpg (119.03 KiB) Viewed 1747 times
Last edited by PureDrop on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby DavidH » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:30 pm

MichaelS wrote:Is there much there about the Dodder Bank Distillery in Dublin, aka Haig's Distillery?

Just a page. Would you like me to make you a copy?
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby PureDrop » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Thanks David.
Found it.
And the description in Townsend is essentially the same as in McGuire's book (p341) - namely two distilleries on the site, one owned by Robert Haig and the 2nd by Aeneas Coffey.
Michael
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Return to Whiskey