NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Whiskey rip off

Let's talk whiskey.

Whiskey rip off

Postby varizoltan » Fri May 08, 2009 10:03 pm

Please post where you were ripped off for a whiskey, so we can stay away from there ;)
Last edited by varizoltan on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Re: Dram rip off

Postby jcskinner » Mon May 11, 2009 2:34 am

Lavery's in Belfast.
Which is sad, because it's a great pub, which all but sustained Belfast nightlife on its own during the dark days, and they clearly love whiskey because they do stock enough of them (tons of limited edition JDs, full Bushmills range, all main Irish accounted for and a goodly selection of Scotches.)
I saw they had a bottle of the Millennium Malt half gone on Saturday evening, and being of a mind to drown my Irish Cup Final sorrows, I asked the price of a dram.
Bear in mind, bottles of this whiskey are freely available all over the place for under £100.
I was quoted £18.75 a dram!
On the plus side, they did balls up the price of the Sazerac Rye and I nabbed a nip for £3.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby cathach » Mon May 11, 2009 4:03 am

E4.90 for Black Bush in the Róisín Dubh in Galway. Arrgh, what was I thinking?
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby DavidH » Fri May 15, 2009 10:47 am

cathach wrote:E4.90 for Black Bush in the Róisín Dubh in Galway. Arrgh, what was I thinking?

Sounds like a bargain to me. Compare:

€6.40 for a Black Bush in The Fitzwilliam Hotel, Dublin.

Normally wouldn't be drinking there but I was early for the CWS tasting and ordered a drink. Ouch.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Re: Whiskey rip off

Postby stephen leddy » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:39 am

The Vat House Bar (Blooms) :cry: in Temple Bar, Dublin.

I was in there last week and was impressed with the selection of whiskey. However when I looked at the prices my body went into shock at the outrageous prices on show. 2 examples:

Redbreast 15yo €75 per shot
Jameson Vintage Reserve €55 per shot
Midelton very rare 2007 €25 per shot

My American friends were very disappointed with the prices! Not a good message for the promotion of Irish Whiskey.
stephen leddy
New Spirit

Postby IainB » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:17 pm

stephen leddy wrote:The Vat House Bar (Blooms) :cry: in Temple Bar, Dublin.

I was in there last week and was impressed with the selection of whiskey. However when I looked at the prices my body went into shock at the outrageous prices on show. 2 examples:

Redbreast 15yo €75 per shot
Jameson Vintage Reserve €55 per shot
Midelton very rare 2007 €25 per shot

My American friends were very disappointed with the prices! Not a good message for the promotion of Irish Whiskey.

€75 per shot for Redbreast 15????????? :shock: :shock: That's absolute madness. At it's most expensive it was €120 per bottle. It's always been cheaper than the other 2.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:22 pm

When the Midleton Suddeutche Zeitung 12 was available for 75 euro, they were selling it for 55 euro per shot.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:47 pm

Kaixo Chico´s,
Pricing Rip Off,,?? its relative... Stock thats sold as standard here in Spain i can and do sell cheaper than back in the "Aul Sod" with your "rip off" spirit taxes..as opposed to here, jameson 2.40 a shot or jameson 12yr 5.00 or Blackbush 3.00 and were talking Spanish measures free pour !!
But with special bottles i have to pay heavy transport prices or bottles i buy in Ireland and bring back i have to charge accordingly ie Redbreast 12yr,10.00 a shot etc..
Funny thing though,here in Spain the more you charge the more they respect it,guess its also a case of supply & demand etc
Same goes for bespoke tasting sesions,,
so think who´s ripping off who ,bars,governments, or culture itself,
Whiskey Pilgrim, "Cock o´Bizkaia"!!
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:02 am

You just reminded me of buying whiskey in Irish bars... I was away with the misses lately for a nice long week-end. We stayed in 2 different hotels both 4*.

In one I paid 5.50 for a Redbreast 12yo in the other 10.00 :evil: .

My local sells it for 4.50 8-)

I very rarely drink anything above the standard whiskey's in Irish pubs these as you never know if your going to be ripped off or not. There is no common standard which is just just crazy and then they wonder why people don't go to the pubs.

Further what is this thing about charging 3 times the price of the retail price per shot.

What I mean by retail price is if a bottle costs 25 quid in the shops and you take 20 shots per bottle (this is very rough so don't pull me up on the ) that works out at 1.25 per shot so the pub price is 3.75. That is fair enough we all can live with that.

Now take a 100Euro bottle / 20 shots = 5Euro per shot and that puts the pub price at 15Euro.

So for the same barman with the same glass and same work involved there is a grose profit of 2.50 for one pour but 10Euro for the other. Really annoys me that they do it like that. I usderstand that a pub need to probably cj=harge more for having more expensive stock on the premises but they still should have a fairer pricing system and they will sell more. I just can't understand the mentality. Maybe I'm just thick :roll:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Whiskey