NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What whiskeys should they be releasing?

Let's talk whiskey.

What whiskeys should they be releasing?

Postby jcskinner » Wed May 06, 2009 8:50 pm

This is my wishlist, basically. In the hope that perhaps one day some high-ups in the various distillers might happen across this thread, here are the whiskeys I want to see you making and releasing:

Bushmills: A regular bottling of a rum finished Bush, preferably not chill-filtered. I'm prepared reluctantly to accept a commercial distribution of the blue liveried 'Select Cask' vatted version that was until recently available in duty-free.

IDL: A pure pot still whiskey older than 12, unblended, complete with age statement. A regular reprise of the Redbreast 15 yo in other words.

Cooley: Anything from those Kilbeggan stills!

If you were advising the various distillers in Ireland, what would you be telling them to release?
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Re: What whiskeys should they be releasing?

Postby JohnM » Wed May 06, 2009 11:04 pm

A pure pot still from Bushmills. I like Bushmills, but personally prefer the offerings from the other Irish distilleries. A pure pot still, however, would be a different story. For me, anyway.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Wed May 06, 2009 11:45 pm

A 15yo Tyrconnell Port finish, single cask. Wow. Some independent bottler has already done it in Belgium but we haven't had a sniff here. Ahem, the society could bottle this one for me :D

From IDL: lots more aged PPS, single cask Midletons, cask strengths at the same prices as comparable Scotches.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed May 06, 2009 11:46 pm

Strangely I have no preferred distillery as I have some favourites from all and there are also some that I can take or leave and it does not neccessaily mean the cheaper expressions.

So what do I want ....

IDL ... As previously expressed a quality 15yo PPS but at a reasonable price point. Redbreast 15yo may have legendary status but had an original reasonable price point which made it attractive ... please have a look at what your scottish cousins charge for a 15 year old ... and at the end of the day it is all whiskey and pretty much on a par for effor and skill to create so don't take the preverbials in your costings :evil:

Bushmills ... please, please, please more of those wonderful single casks again please take heed of your pricing.

Cooley: a constant supply of a more robust peated expression like the cadenheads releases would be appreciated.

Irishman: more releases of the rare cask series but again more realistic pricing as I won't be buying other wise. The original price point was even over the top for a one off non aged cask strength expression. However to continue this wuld be to flog a dead horse.

I really have to jump on the soap box here in relation to the pricing issue ... I feel the Irish Whiskey industry is really being very disingenuous towards its Irish customers ... with tax and duty issues aside they are still marking up the price far in excess to other markets.

If the industry wants to try and grow their market in these trying times they really need to get a grip on the pricing structures of their products. I cannot understand that they fail to take into account how scotch is sold at certain price levels. Look around you and forget the Celtic tiger which is dead and gone ..................
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby cathach » Fri May 08, 2009 11:13 pm

I would agree with the above along the lines of pricing, but genuine enthusiasts are such a rarity that I think often enough the industry doesn't care. Even though we go out of our way to promote their product!!!

A Powers Pure Pot Still, If I could get it, then with the old label too (the current one looks like it's photocopied) but I'd settle for the whiskey. The current 12yo at its' price point should be a PPS.

A Cooley PPS, they have the technology, they can rebuild it, stronger, harder, faster than before. (opening words to the million dollar man by the way). Even the stills in Louth could produce one as they were originally from Dunvilles' in Belfast I think or maybe the Royal Irish Distillery, but someone would have to confirm this.

A Bushmills PPS or a non-chillfiltered non-coloured Black Bush. For the life of me I can't understand why they haven't done this already.
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Return to Whiskey