NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Conventions for Society Meetings.

Everything Irish Whiskey Society related.

Conventions for Society Meetings.

Postby John » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi All,

I would like to open up the following topic for general debate. The aim here is to create a more enjoyable experience for everyone; general members, committee members; guests and particularly guest speakers.

Given the numbers that are now consistently attending the monthly tasting events I believe that we should now have some form of convention that we can all follow where we all get as much as we can from the presentations and the fantastic whiskeys that are on offer.

I have noticed that while in the course of their presentations, speakers usually have to shout over the conversational noise generated from the floor and usually have to rely on the entrpreneurial spirit of some person in the room to almost shatter a glass to restore general quiet and attention. This is hardly an ideal situation and no-one wins if it is allowed to prevail; the speakers efforts in preparing for the talk are wasted and we hear potentially only a fraction of the information available.

Now, before anyone accuses me of supressing free speech - I'm certainly not advocating a situation whereby no-one is allowed to talk from when they enter the tasting room until they leave - I'm just suggesting that we need to do everything we can to ensure a happy medium. That must come both from members showing their respect to whoever is providing the presentation, etc. as well as from the Committee in providing a more formal Convention for those attending re. general chat, questions, etc.

Views, comments, suggestions all welcome! :thumbsup:
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Re: Conventions for Society Meetings.

Postby DavidH » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:16 am

What would be a big help is a venue where every seat is forward-facing. Chatting while tasting is important but half the room is missing the cue that the presentation is about to move on. If you know of a venue that has a spirits licence, can hold 80+ people (we need to expand) and is available at a low cost, please let the committee know.

In the current room, I can only suggest getting the setup finished by 7:30pm so people can get plenty of chat in beforehand.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Re: Conventions for Society Meetings.

Postby Dec » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:13 pm

Yeah I'd have to agree, I felt very sorry for the "Chocolate Guy" last month who could only be heard at the front table, most of the time.
However "some" chat is necessary and there should be time for that too. Perhaps it became so obvious last month due to the amount of new people there ?
If so then maybe just remind people attending when you do the intro of exit doors, mobile phones, etc . ?
Dec
New Spirit

Return to Society