NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Seeking infomation.....BARTON Irish Whiskey.

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Seeking infomation.....BARTON Irish Whiskey.

Postby SixCats! » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi all,

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all IWS members! Yesterday, I visited my local Liquor Store here in Maine.
I spied something new on the shelf, a one liter bottle of BARTON Irish Whiskey. Ummmm....
This is a brand I've never heard of before. I suspect BARTON is going to be.....(how shall I say).....
"Entry level" at best considering it's one liter size and twenty dollar (on sale) price. Then again, one never knows how good (or bad) it might be until one gives it a try. A Google search provided no information on Barton Irish Whiskey.
So, might any IWS member have any information about BARTON Irish Whiskey ? Thanks.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Re: Seeking infomation.....BARTON Irish Whiskey.

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:14 pm

Sorry SixCats can't say I've ever heard of it ... let us know if you find anything out about it.

More than lightly a cooley blend
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:35 pm

There is a Barton brand out there though. According to the website it already covers American and Canadian whiskeys, as well as rum, brandy... So an Irish whiskey wouldn't be a stretch.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby SixCats! » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:29 am

Hi guys,

Ummmm.....yea, I did see that one site with the name Barton. I'll let you know if I find any other information on this MYSTERY "Irish Whiskey".

HAPPY NEW YEAR,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi there sixcats,

It is most likely a Cooley blend of single malt and grain, however we cannot confirm that yet.. http://www.shopmerwins.com/3193so.html

Be the first to review it, if it is a Cooley Blend it will be soft, citrus, honey & easy drinking.

A softer version of the Kilbeggan I would imagine.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:40 pm

From Cooley's 2009 Annual Report:

In partnership with our US Importer Sazerac, we launched a new Irish whiskey under the "Barton's" brand. This is aimed solely at the on-trade as a "well" Irish whiskey rather than a branded call. Most Barton expressions, be it vodka, Scotch whisky or gin, sell in very high volume.

So it's unexpected, perhaps, for SixCats to find it in a liquor store. It's just meant to be the default "Irish whiskey" in a bar when no brand is specified. At least that's how I read the above quote.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:52 pm

They mentioned it on whiskycast a few months ago, I seem to remember. It's a Cooley, as already said.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby SixCats! » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:42 am

Hello Gentleman and Happy New Year!

Thank you very much John, Dave and WBro. Ahhhh, that link does show the same Barton that is available in Maine.
I will take a chance and buy a bottle of Barton Irish Whiskey soon. I didn't realize Kilbeggan was a Cooley Whiskey.
Heck, at the cost of about $20.00 U.S. for a one liter bottle, even if it's halfway decent Whiskey, I would think it would be a good buy! My current LEAST expensive favorite Whiskey (available in Maine) is in fact Kilbeggan (old label). It will be fun to compare Barton vs. Kilbeggan. A New Years project!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby SixCats! » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:52 am

Hi all,

Today I received a reply to an inquiry I made regarding BARTON Irish Whiskey.
According to a Consumer Affairs Associate of BUFFALO TRACE Distillery, BARTON is indeed a COOLEY four year old Irish Whiskey and it is bottled in the U.S.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby DavidH » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:18 am

Bottled in the US? Very interesting. I haven't heard of another Irish whiskey being bottled outside Ireland. I'm a fan of bottling near to market because it seems like a waste shipping glass and air around the world.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:42 am

DavidH wrote:Bottled in the US? Very interesting. I haven't heard of another Irish whiskey being bottled outside Ireland. I'm a fan of bottling near to market because it seems like a waste shipping glass and air around the world.

They say this on whiskycast too. Also, whiskycast cites the Irish Whiskey Society Twitter for its info... Or at least news of its release.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:13 pm

I yes I forgot about that, I tweeted way back in October about Barton's, the info came from Cooley's annual report which is usually published around September. Mark Gillespie from Whisky Cast contacted me to confirm the info and he in turn confirmed with Barton's as nothing had been heard the other side of the atlantic. (Mystery solved I hope).

See you should follow the IrishWhiskeySociety on twitter for the breaking news, events and latest deals !!!! http://twitter.com/IrishWhiskeySoc
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:39 pm

DavidH wrote:Bottled in the US? Very interesting. I haven't heard of another Irish whiskey being bottled outside Ireland. I'm a fan of bottling near to market because it seems like a waste shipping glass and air around the world.

More than you realise David ...

Off the top of my head Cadenheads, Signatory, James McArthur, Murray McDavid and SMWS all have independently bottled Cooley whiskey themselves. I suppose that is why they are called independent bottlers ;)

Also I have a feeling that the mysterious "Erin Go Bragh" was bottled outside of IDL control but I can't be sure.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:00 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:More than you realise David ...

Off the top of my head Cadenheads, Signatory, James McArthur, Murray McDavid and SMWS all have independently bottled Cooley whiskey themselves. I suppose that is why they are called independent bottlers ;)

Of course I meant branded, bulk whiskeys, not IBs doing a single cask here and there. It doesn't even have to be a private label. There is no reason Jameson, say, could not be bottled in the US (it isn't though).
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Return to Collectors Corner