NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

books

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

books

Postby scotty » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:41 pm

Someone posted a link to someplace on this website i think that had a list and a review of many books.I guess it's right in front of my face but i cant seem to find it again.

:D Any help please??
still searching for the knowledge
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Re: books

Postby DavidH » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:53 pm

There is a list of books here but it includes books that are not recommended at all so use with caution!
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:38 pm

If you follow the Amazon links on some and you might get luck and find some Amazon reviews.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby scotty » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:01 am

DavidH wrote:There is a list of books here but it includes books that are not recommended at all so use with caution!

thats what i was looking for. Thanks :D
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby scotty » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:21 pm

I sure would like to find a book that is only about the actual process of making Irish whiskey.

I am learning that the first problem that i am facing is emulating the water.

I have found a basic process which calls for distilled water and then adding burton water salts or doind the following treatment

1--BRING 6.6 GALLONS OF WATER TO A BOIL IN A POT. (This is for the standard 5 gallon batch )
2--ADD 2 HEAPING TEASPOONS 12grams OF CALCIUM SULPHATE AND 1/2 TSP OF SODIUM CHLORIDE
3-- BOIL VIGOROUSLY FOR 15 MINUTES TO 1/2 HOUR
4--SWITCH OFF HEAT AND WAIT FOR PRECIPITATION TO SETTLE OUT.
5-- THEN ADD ½ tsp/2 grams OF MAGNESIUM SULPHATE AFTER RACKING THE WATER OFF THE PRECIPITATION
Im not sure of this but its all i could find after reading many books.

Maybe i should just move to the ARAN ISLANDS where the revenuers cant find me :mrgreen:

At any rate im still very much in the dark about emulating the water.
The water is basicaly what helps make the whiskeys from everywhere unique.

still trying to learn :D
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby cathach » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Are you quite sure about the water making a difference Scotty? A lot of distillers would say that half the flavour comes from the 'new make' and the other hald comes from the maturation in wooden barrels.

Mineral water would be the same as water here I'm sure. Remember as well that almost all whiskey is watered down to 40% by the addition of regular water from the public water supply, although they must do something to remove the chlorine and flourine (which is included by law in most of the water in Ireland and the U.K.).
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Postby scotty » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:08 am

cathach wrote:Are you quite sure about the water making a difference Scotty? A lot of distillers would say that half the flavour comes from the 'new make' and the other hald comes from the maturation in wooden barrels.

Mineral water would be the same as water here I'm sure. Remember as well that almost all whiskey is watered down to 40% by the addition of regular water from the public water supply, although they must do something to remove the chlorine and flourine (which is included by law in most of the water in Ireland and the U.K.).

Aye--i believe i have a proper grain bill and the tripple distilling under control. Also the aging on charred oak. Yes the diluting is a consideration that i never thought of.

Just a note on aging. A few folks on a couple of whiskey websites tell how whiskey just about everywhere is aged and stored in warehouses that are very warm in summer and often freeze in winter.
A few of the fellas have tried
1--finding a suitable container
2--Abbing charred oak chips
3-- placing it in the freezer a day or 2
4-- Taking it out to let it complety return to room temperature
5--Repeat this cycle a few times

This possibly emulates a full year of aging.
testing said it seemed to work.

If i ever get to that stage, i will have to ship a few pints to members of this group for evaluation.
Well at any reate, the more input i get the grater the possibility that i may be able to produce a spirit that is acceptable at the least.

I see i would have to treat a sufficient amount of water for dilution as well.
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Return to Everything Else