NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

I need to ask this again

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

I need to ask this again

Postby scotty » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:14 pm

i just read a chapter in the book 1000 years of irish whiskey and i thought it said smirnoff vodka was produced in dublin-- ill have to go back and check that.

It says what i thought on page 108.
" The only distillation and bottling of potable spirits now carried on in Dublin continues in the Naas road premised of Gibleys of Ireland ltd. where they produce their well known gin and Smirnoff vodka"

i did a search on the web and found nothing.

can anyone shed some light on this subject please??? :D
still searching for the knowledge
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Re: I need to ask this again

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:40 pm

Hi Scotty,

No idea if it is originally an Irish product or not but it has long been produced in Ireland and it has been on the market since at least the early 80's, unfortunately my memory does not go much further than that :roll: . Of course it may have been produced under licence which would not be unusual but I could not say for sure.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:46 pm

I think it's made in Midleton now. I could, of course, be wrong.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby scotty » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:51 pm

JohnM wrote:I think it's made in Midleton now. I could, of course, be wrong.

Thanks for the reply John. The google search said the brand was invented by some Russian and itis made in russia.

Perhaps its that old russian claim that "WE DID IT FIRST". In the 19fiftys i remember getting sick of hearing that said. ;p;
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:58 pm

Actually, I think I'm totally wrong. It's Huzzar vodka I'm thinking of...
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby scotty » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:59 pm

JohnM wrote:Actually, I think I'm totally wrong. It's Huzzar vodka I'm thinking of...

John, I cant believe it is in the book and totally false especially the way Russia takes credit for inventing everything.

I sure would like to know.
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:27 pm

scotty wrote:
JohnM wrote:Actually, I think I'm totally wrong. It's Huzzar vodka I'm thinking of...

John, I cant believe it is in the book and totally false especially the way Russia takes credit for inventing everything.

I sure would like to know.

I've had to dig out my copy and have a quick read ... It really is inconclusive as to the origin of the Brand just that they distilled the brand in their premises in Dublin back in the late 70's early 80's. However I thionk we can say that Gilbeys owned the brand rights in Ireland at that time, but whether those rights extended further afield is very unclear or whether it was their brand in the first place. Further, I would be very slow to read too much into Wikipedia reporting unless there is corroboration else where which as you mention is few and far between.

Interesting question though and one I'd would like to know the answer to also.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby scotty » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:17 pm

we will just have to keep an eye and ear open for some possible clues John. :)
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby GSC » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:05 pm

Some people refer to vodka as "potato juice". If so, maybe there is an Irish angle to the spirits.
Whatever doesn't kill you will leave a scar.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:50 pm

GSC wrote:Some people refer to vodka as "potato juice". If so, maybe there is an Irish angle to the spirits.

True, Vodka can and has been made from potato but the humble potato is not just the preserve of Ireland and is just as prevelent in Russia as it is in other countries.

Seemingly It's quite simple ... skin then dice potatoes. Place in a pressure cooker cover with water and cook potatoes until they break down and basically disolve. Let cool and strain any bits from the potato juice and simply distill .... bobs your uncle.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby scotty » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:13 am

I still dont see why it was mentioned in the book as being a product of that distillery. Perhaps i read it incorrectly??
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby bredman » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:56 am

Isn't Gilbey's owned by Diageo?

During the 1990s one of Piotr Smirnov's descendants started producing Smirnov (Смирновъ in Ukraine) vodka in Russia, claiming to be "The Only Real Smirnov". After a number of lawsuits, Smirnoff successfully reclaimed its trademark, while in 2006 Diageo concluded a joint venture deal with the Smirnov company.
The Smirnoff company had the naming rights to the Smirnoff Music Centre, a concert amphitheater in Dallas, Texas from 2000-2008. They also sponsored the Smirnoff Underbelly, a major venue at the Edinburgh Fringe.

also
Smirnov (Russian: Смирнов) can be seen as the Russian version of Smirnoff vodka. It is made by the Smirnov Trading House, a company that is part of a joint venture by Russia’s Alfa Group and Diageo, the owner of the Smirnoff brand. The full title of the Smirnov Trading House is The Trading House of the Heirs of P.A. Smirnov.
Smirnov vodka was launched in 1991 by Boris Smirnov, a scion of Pyotr Smirnov, the original producer of the spirit. After many lawsuits, which resulted in Diageo’s brand being banned in the Commonwealth of Independent States, the Russian brand became a “sister product” of Smirnoff vodka.

Think of this as Smirnoff vs Smirnov ( apparently most Russians prefer Smirnoff ). Also -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vodkas

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Everything Else