NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Pictures of setting up to make a run

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

Pictures of setting up to make a run

Postby scotty » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:00 pm

lots of misc parts

7 us gallons of sugar wash

Im testing the boiler for leaks--its the first time ill be using this one

ill post more pics after the rig is set up and running.. hope i dont over stay my welcome.

i just read a chapter in the book 1000 years of irish whiskey and i thought it said smirnoff vodka originated in dublin-- ill have to go back and check that.
still searching for the knowledge
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Re: Pictures of setting up to make a run

Postby DavidH » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:47 pm

scotty wrote:ill post more pics after the rig is set up and running.. hope i dont over stay my welcome.

Not possible, scotty! This is unique content so please continue :thumbsup:

At a rough guess, how much would you say it costs to get started in distilling spirit?
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Really interesting to watch home distilling in action.... keep us posted thanks
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby scotty » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:23 am

DavidH wrote:
scotty wrote:ill post more pics after the rig is set up and running.. hope i dont over stay my welcome.

Not possible, scotty! This is unique content so please continue :thumbsup:

At a rough guess, how much would you say it costs to get started in distilling spirit?

if you make wine or beer then you have a lot of the stuff you already need. you must have stainless steel pots to mash with-- about 400 USD--a heat source-- about 25 to 100 USD. a still costs about 250 dollars-- with a pot still head.
ill give you a link that has most of the stuff so you can get an idea.

http://www.brewhaus.com/
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby scotty » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:30 am

TheWhiskeyBro wrote:Really interesting to watch home distilling in action.... keep us posted thanks

im running it today for vodka-- the best will be in a few weeks when i take another shot at FITZGERALS IRISH STYLE WHISKEY--

This device is called a parrot. the hydrometer is one made for alcohol. they come with the europen method of checking as well as usa proof

This is a better picture-- this is not a pot still head. the dripping is because we need a slow output for pure alcohol. Vodka in this case.whiskey is run diferently in order to keep flavor///flavoUr lol

The best photos are here on my photo bucket album

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/ ... y%20tools/
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby scotty » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:24 pm

DAVID H
If there is any specific questions you would like to ask just fire away-- if you need privacy, me email is slowpoke59ds at yahoo dot com.

here is a website of distilling folks--most of us use false locations-- i say im in west curacau.. but it is informative and the folks are willing to assist. :thumbsup:
everyone is welcome here http://www.brewhausforum.com/index.php

here is a website with so much good information http://homedistiller.org/forum/index.php :shock:

if i could gove one piece of advice to anyone it would be not to fool yourself about starting very small. a boiler of less than 3.5 to 4 gallons would be an injustice to yourself. :D
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby Mothrae » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:10 pm

Fascinating. Thanks for sharing this.

The only thing I ever brewed / distilled was hard cider. Letting apple cider go "hard", rather than go to vinegar. Not hard to do.

I'll post the recipe and method if you'd like.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby scotty » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:14 pm

Mothrae wrote:Fascinating. Thanks for sharing this.

The only thing I ever brewed / distilled was hard cider. Letting apple cider go "hard", rather than go to vinegar. Not hard to do.

I'll post the recipe and method if you'd like.

Yes please post the recipe-- :thumbsup:
myself, i would decide what amount of apple wine i wanted, take a S.G. reading and add sugar to boost the alcohol-- finally yeast to ferment.

running hard cider or apple wine through a still would give us apple brandy i believe. :D
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby bredman » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:26 am

scotty wrote:running hard cider or apple wine through a still would give us apple brandy i believe. :D

When made well, a stunning spirit.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby scotty » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:10 pm

This is the final stage in making the pure spirits for vodka, gin or other flavoured drinks.

The reasoni havent started the next batch of IRISH STYLE WHISKEY is that my partner in crime is on a mini vacation to destin beach in florida. He will return next week and then we will go to the city for grains. I hope he stays put for a few days lol

Meantime, i have found a website for vodka lovers. They had a list of simple infusions to make flavored vodka.

I hope to try the method as soon as my alcohol comes off the carbon filtering.

here is the list and method.

Flavored Vodka
Properly flavored vodkas are a treat either alone or to complement part of a meal: A cool vanilla vodka to accompany an after-dinner coffee ... apricot vodka with a fruit trifle ... cherry vodka with a piece of chocolate cake ... the opportunities are endless!

The following flavored vodkas are simple to prepare at home. After infusing, keep them in the freezer for best results. [These recipes are taken from A Taste of Russia, published by Russian Life.
((((( I DONT UNDERSTAND THIS PART ABOUT THE FREEZER?? ANY THOUGHTS))))
Anise Vodka/Anisovaya: Place 2 teaspoons whole anise seed in 1 pint of plain vodka and infuse at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain. [Note: Peter the Great's favorite drink was triple-filtered vodka, diluted with anise water, then redistilled.]

Apricot Vodka/Abrikosovaya: Place one dozen apricot kernels in 1 pint of plain vodka and infuse at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain.

Black-Currant-Bud Vodka/Smorodinovka: Pick the buds of black currants when they are still sticky. Place a handful in 1 pint of plain vodka and infuse at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain. An alternative method is to make a very strong infusion in only 1/4 pint of vodka and then add 10 to 12 drops of the essence to a bottle of plain vodka.

Cherry Vodka/Vishnyovka: Crush 36 cherry pits and place them in 1 pint of plain vodka. Infuse at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain.

Coriander Vodka/Koriandrovaya: Place 2 teaspoons of coriander seed, slightly crushed, in 1 pint of plain vodka and infuse at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain.

Garlic-and-Dill Vodka/Chesnochnaya: Place 1 clove of garlic, slightly crushed, 1 sprig of fresh dill and 3 white peppercorns in 1 pint of plain vodka. Infuse at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain. A small bit of dill may be left in the vodka, if desired.

Herb Vodka/Travnik: Place a few sprigs of a favorite herb, such as tarragon or basil, in 1 pint of plain vodka and infuse at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain. A small bit of the herb may be left in the vodka.

Lemon or OrangeVodka/Limonovka or Oranzhevaya: Remove the rind from 1/2 large lemon or from 1 orange in a single strip, taking care to avoid the bitter white pith. Infuse in 1 pint of plain vodka at room temperature for 24 hours. (Do not leave the peel in longer, or the vodka will turn bitter.)

Pepper Vodka/Pertsovka: Place 30 black peppercorns and 30 white peppercorns in 1 pint of plain vodka and infuse at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain.

Saffron Vodka/Shafrannaya: Place 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads in 1 pint of plain vodka and infuse at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain.

Tea Vodka/Chainaya: Place 4 teaspoons black tea leaves, preferably fruit-scented, in 1 pint of plain vodka and infuse at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain.

Buffalo Grass Vodka/Zubrovka: Place 8 blades of buffalo grass in 1 pint of plain vodka and infuse at room temperature for 24 hours. One blade of grass may be left in the vodka after straining.

I hope someone finds this usefull :D
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby bredman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:41 pm

scotty wrote:.

There is a Russian tradition of keeping their vodka in the freezer. If frozen it must not be lower than 40% abv or it will solidify and the bottle will probably shatter.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby scotty » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:07 pm

bredman wrote:
scotty wrote:.

There is a Russian tradition of keeping their vodka in the freezer. If frozen it must not be lower than 40% abv or it will solidify and the bottle will probably shatter.

I wonder why??? kept in the freezer i mean???
Last edited by scotty on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby scotty » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:14 pm

I'm setting up to make a 7 gallon batch of wash for vodka. I make the wash from sugar.
I just wanted anyone interested to see how much stuff i use to make the batch.

Making whiskey is much more work and requires large pots to mash and strain the liquid off the grain.
Whiskey is an time consuming job just for one batch. one of my 7 gallon/25 liter batches produces about 3 liters of drinkable and one liter of liquid that will be added to the next batch for re distilling. I dont carbon filter whiskey becaus the tripple distill removes enough congeners but still leaves the necessary flavour.

My camera seems to be dying.
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby DavidH » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Perhaps chilled vodka is more palatable? It has never appealed to me neat at room temp anyway.

On the subject of flavourings, I had a bit of an addiction to "Turkish Pepper"-flavoured vodka in Sweden. It's a very salty licorice candy that is allowed to dissolve in the bottle, turning the vodka black.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby scotty » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:35 pm

DavidH wrote:Perhaps chilled vodka is more palatable? It has never appealed to me neat at room temp anyway.

On the subject of flavourings, I had a bit of an addiction to "Turkish Pepper"-flavoured vodka in Sweden. It's a very salty licorice candy that is allowed to dissolve in the bottle, turning the vodka black.

i'll remember that by adding it to the list that i had posted.

Thanks
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby scotty » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:13 pm

I'm having a deck built with both 120 and 240 volt outlets so when i get the the Irish style whiskey, i can mash and distill outside. I havent forgotten. My friend and i are dying to make anothe batch this year. we will be much more carefull with thr finished product.
There are 22 photos here-- done in a few days then 2 wine projects befor our run to tampa to purchase barley for the whiskey

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=179750768723094&set=a.175672715797566.38569.100000645152044&pid=470111&id=100000645152044
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby scotty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Due to having learned that fermenting at cooler temperatures produces better quality product, I have postponed my Irish style whiskey project untill next october or so. It hot in florida and i keep my Aor conditioner at 78 defrees F (( 25.5 C)

ideally i need 65 degrees F (( 18.3 C )) so ill have to wait for next winter to get pictures of the process on the forum.

However i have just enrolled in a class that will be doing an all grain brewing for beer. I will take lots of pictures ((march 20 or so)) And post them.

The process for all grain beer is basically the same as for mashing grain for whiskey.

Sorry i didnt keep my promise to brew some Irish style whiskey this season.
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:06 pm

No probs Scottly we can wait ... anyway quite a few of us like craft beer also :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby scotty » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:48 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:No probs Scottly we can wait ... anyway quite a few of us like craft beer also :thumbsup:

I believe that the most disapointed person is me. :shock: I look foreward to trying to emulate the UK water and then the Irish style whiskey.
:D

Perhaps one of you folks could tell me what a common style of beer is in Ireland.

All i ever heard of was Guinesses Stout.

I tried it and sold it too when i was in the grocery business but it was/is too strong for me. :o
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Return to Everything Else