NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

1000 years of irish whiskey

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

1000 years of irish whiskey

Postby scotty » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:28 pm

1000 Years of Irish -Whiskey Malachy Magee --O'Brien Press
This is the first one that i am reading-- it told me about the practices of some business folks
of mixing plain alcohol with irish whiskey and selling it cheap as 100 percent real stuff
The coffe still was a very efficient alcohol producer invented by an irishman. it almost caused
the demise of real irish whiskey production.
I also learned that a friend of mine named william Coffee is irish. I just thought it was
an odd last name. I'm enjoying the education.
Last edited by scotty on Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
still searching for the knowledge
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Re: 1000 years of irish whiskey

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:50 pm

Quite an unknown fact actually that the drink Coffee is named after it's Irish inventor.

Originally made from degreasing axels with boiling hot water. It is thpought Coffee began the tradition of using the hot mix to keep thimself warm, thus named after it's first known imbiber and due to the reason that this guy called Coffee made it popular the name stuck and ironically it made people cough too.

Was then taken a step further when his son Coffee jr emigrated to south america during the great famine and was trecking through south america when he came upon a local tribe and they were brewing this mirical drink. After tasting it he jumped up as stated ... this tastes like coffee.

This new form of coffee was easier to produce and took over after the fall of the industrial revolution as there was not as many axels around to be degreased.

Always slightly on the unpalatable side for most Irish people they began the practice of adding Irish Whiskey and it was christened Irish Coffee so that the scots could not lay a claim to that either.

and that is the truth to be sure ....

Of course the the Coffee family were known for their Blarney also ;)

But it is a well known name in Ireland.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby GSC » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:27 pm

A family named Coffey (with a Y) lived nearby. Funny thing, they were constantly kidded about the name, and not one of them would drink the stuff. They loved tea, and soda, and anything else except coffee.
Whatever doesn't kill you will leave a scar.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby scotty » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:17 pm

This is great information. thanks. i just read about loyd georges efforts. This is one of three books i have ordered from UK vendors. This reading is a pleasant break from the books on how to and whys of brewing spirits.

ill keep reading and get back to the text type books later.

my new still is almost finished and another batch of IRISH STYLE whiskey will soon be in order

scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby scotty » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:23 pm

I am reporting on this book because it is a history lesson for me. opression--taxation without representation, deprivation of opportunity to advance ones self and much more.. it should be required reading for folks in the USA. well im half through only because i just read a few pages when i lay down at night. But i cant put it aside. ((I NEVER ENJOY READING ANYTHING EXCEPT TEXT AND TEACHING BOOKS.))

Surely someone somewhere has made a movie on this subject. The truth is most fascinating. :D

I also learned that a fellow named D'Arcey was irish too.. i never associated coffey or this name as irish.
O'hanlon--Kelly--Ennis- O'riley and such are what i was used to hearing.
I guess i am becoming fascinated with the Emrald Isle.
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Return to Everything Else