NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

St George American Single Malt Whiskey Lot 8, 43%

For non-Irish whiskeys

St George American Single Malt Whiskey Lot 8, 43%

Postby bredman » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:35 am

St George Single Malt Whiskey Lot 8, 43% Distilled from Barley Malt Mash. St George Spirits, Alameda Ca

N: Fruit and flowers, both very dominant. The malt is fighting for air, barely noticeable at all. Berries, Geranium, and Roses, a kind of Turkish delight.

T: Odd. A little watery, almost totally lacking in malt and barley. Floral boiled sweets.

F: Short to medium.

Odd, very odd. I can't work out if i like it or not, i think i do. Just for being so different. It's definitely worth a go. There are no sour notes or faults.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Re: St George American Single Malt Whiskey Lot 8, 43%

Postby Fionnán » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:05 pm

can't stand this whisky. I went to college near these guys in northern california and i like their absinth and some of their other distillates so i tried time and time again to give this stuff a fair shot but it smells like white board markers and it tastes the part. I believe they were shooting for a lowland scotch style single malt but it just yields this very unimpressive sickly sweet one note character i cant get behind. curiously, they use a rather strange still that begins as a pot still and then essentially finishes as a column still and, although it seems to work out well for their rectified spirits, i think it really lends very little to their brown spirits profile.
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Fyntyn » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:55 pm

A very late contribution! George Rumpf has produced three or four different expressions of St. George; and, certainly two of those that I tasted were rather good - though I have not tasted many North American whiskies and make no claim to be an authority on them. However, they do produce some of the best eau de vie that I have tasted anywhere, and I am sure that they are worth following.
Fyntyn
New Spirit

Postby Fyntyn » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:34 am

After writing my earlier post, I looked up St. George on the net, and see that George (Jorg) Rupf retired 5 years ago, and that the distillery has ceased making eau de vie, and now concentrates on gins, vodkas and other spirits aimed at the American market. I was in contact with the distillery between 1988 and 2002, so my information is a bit out of date. However, they were very proud of their reputation, and their gins and vodkas appear to be very popular on the American market, and I would be interested to taste their whiskies again - particularly as it is small batch and they have always been ready to experiment.
Fyntyn
New Spirit

Postby ridge004 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:27 am

I quite like their single malt, though it is very different from most American whiskeys, and it does very well in blind tastings that I hold for American single malts.
ridge004
New Spirit

Return to Other Whiskeys