NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

back to ireland

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

back to ireland

Postby brettie vedder » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:48 pm

okay, so my attempt at moving to america didn't work, haha. many issues came up. wifes father is sick, mother is very ill, i cant find sustainable work here, etc... anyway, enough moaning. long story short, does anyone know of any kind of work in ireland? i will be moving back to galway and i know a lot of you live in dublin. just throwing it out there to see if anything is available. my wife has a good job but we desperately need a second income, even if its part time for right now. i do have a bachelors degree in IT, although it has never really done me any good. any info you guys/gals can pass on, would be greatly appreciated.

other than that, nothing new here. just trying to stay off the drink because of lack of funds :o
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Re: back to ireland

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:04 pm

Hi Brett, that's a shame and hopefully your wifes folks will be okay. Can't help you on the Jobs front but I'm sure you could find some part time work.

Hope to see you around a bit more ... place has been quite with out you ... best of luck (again) on the return journey ...
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:45 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Hi Brett, that's a shame and hopefully your wifes folks will be okay. Can't help you on the Jobs front but I'm sure you could find some part time work.

Hope to see you around a bit more ... place has been quite with out you ... best of luck (again) on the return journey ...

thanks man. i appreciate it. hopefully i can scrounge together some part time work. i need to look into the dole too...i think i may be eligible. dont really want to collect, but i suppose thats what its there for.

yea, havent been on here much lately. the more i come on here, the more i want to buy/drink, haha. went on a bit of a bender down in texas while visiting my bro. tasted some lap 15 and 30yo's....the 30 was unreal.
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:48 pm

If I hear of anything I'll let you know. Good luck with the move. Hopefully everyone's okay.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:41 pm

America's loss, our gain :) I'm sorry it was forced on you though.

How about opening a Christmas pop-up shop (just for the shopping season I mean) in Galway with stuff you have imported from the US. I'm always seeing stuff online that I'd love but it's too tricky or expensive to get it sent here.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:45 pm

OK, here's the first thing I want: coin-sized screwdrivers. I'd like to put one of these in everyone's Christmas stocking. That Cool Tools website will give you plenty more ideas.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:01 pm

thanks guys :D

that is a good idea david. i would love to do something like that. i might look into it more. we actually toyed with the idea of importing irish stuff here to sell, but its just so damn expensive to ship :(

i guess for time being i will get back into the photography stuff. there seems to be a HUGE demand for pub photos with surnames here in america. my wife has just been so busy with her parents that she hasn't had time to get out for more pics.
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby Mothrae » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:04 pm

Breddie, what immigration issues did you have to deal with in the USA?

I've been reading a lot lately over Irish legal/illegal immigration problem. The ongoing massive migration of illegals from Mexico and Central America have made it hard for other citizens to move here.

Getting legal work visas seems to be the biggest problem. Just wondering what you had to put up with.

The Irish Voice and Irish Echo newspapers out of New York City discuss this all the time.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:15 pm

Mothrae wrote:Breddie, what immigration issues did you have to deal with in the USA?

I've been reading a lot lately over Irish legal/illegal immigration problem. The ongoing massive migration of illegals from Mexico and Central America have made it hard for other citizens to move here.

Getting legal work visas seems to be the biggest problem. Just wondering what you had to put up with.

The Irish Voice and Irish Echo newspapers out of New York City discuss this all the time.

i am an american citizen. was born and raised in PA. been in ireland for 3 years because my wife is irish.
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby Mothrae » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Now that works very well!

Makes things a whole lot easier.

Born and raised in the Keystone Commonwealth!
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Mothrae wrote:Now that works very well!

Makes things a whole lot easier.

Born and raised in the Keystone Commonwealth!

it is very handy, especially with having dual citizenship. i am a permanent resident of ireland now, which means traveling through the european union is very easy. in another 2 years i can apply for my irish passport and be a full on citizen.

yup, born and raised in NE philly. parents live out in the suburbs now. around doylestown if your familiary. nice area and lots of history. just too $$$$$
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Return to Everything Else