NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Old Comber 7yo (c. 1950)

Closed Distilleries Whiskey tasting notes

Old Comber 7yo (c. 1950)

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sat May 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Tasted from a sample gratefully received from JohnM,

Old Comber 7 Year Old 40% (Vintage Bottling)

Colour: Rich Golden Amber

Nose: Old oak (slighest hint of musty wood) with distinct oloroso sherry cask. Very feinty with turpentine, pine resin and prominent menthol aroma.

Taste: Dry amontillado sherry, medicinal feel with menthol and liquorice.

Finish: Smooth and clean with dry aftertaste, not great length, slightly brittle.

Score: 86 out of 100
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Re: Old Comber 7yo

Postby JohnM » Sun May 10, 2009 10:05 am

I like this one a lot, although the colour is very strange for such a young whiskey.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Tue May 12, 2009 1:49 pm

OMG! What a legendary whiskey that is! I'm guessing it must be well over a half century old at this point. Fascinating that even at 7 yo the wood is still quite dominant. This is the main complaint generally levelled at the 80s bottling (which was over 30 yo).
I'm going to have to ransack my collection to find something that JohnM might be interested in receiving as a sample now!
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Old Comber 7yo

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed May 13, 2009 12:54 am

Was really looking forward to this and have kept most of my precious sample for a later tasting against some other old PPS samples I have. Had to bow to temptation and follow this thread though ;)

Nose: Old dry Wood very evident, sweet ripe banana, hint of marzipan, vanilla, slight nuttyness, sherry, iron rust (if you get what I mean :roll: ) some soapyness and strangely an iodine note in the background.

Taste: very woody, watered down sherry sweetness, can't get much else

Finish: woody sweetness continues into a dry ashy feel on roof of the palate.

Comment: To be quite honest it was not the best whiskey I've ever tasted but wonderful to experience another piece of Irish Whiskey History. However this whiskey is quite puzzling ... the wood influence, the colour and the age statement just don't seem to match up? The wood influence would lead me to believe that it was an old whiskey but the fact it is circa 7years old might of meant it was possibly a 2nd or even 3rd fill but the colour would suggest it should be a first fill unless it was reseasoned. It's a hard one to fathom :?

Last interesting issue of note and it is something we have discussed about Irish Whiskey previously on this forum. In the nose I get a slight touch of iodine and in the finish the ash feel. Am I reading too much into this or even getting something from nothing or is this more proof of Irish Whiskey being very lightly peated.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby varizoltan » Wed May 13, 2009 10:10 am

seems like the old redbrest 12 i got from you Adrien, i just tasted it in Bull and Castle (see dram tip off) but i just could not discribe it
i am a beginner :D
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Re: Old Comber 7yo (c. 1950)

Postby Joel1802 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:25 pm

Colour: bronze, cream sherry

Nose: good sherried like Aberlour, menthol, oak,(very faint barn yard, antiseptic)

Body: light, velvety

palate: Oak, sherry, cough syrup, geranium, faintly medicinal, big menthol, spice (pepper) maybe faint turpentine

finish: sherry, menthol, polished oak, lots of pepper (not hot, just a tingle)

Not very pot still at all, more in common with a sherried Bladnoch than an old Bow st. or Tullamore PPS whisky. The malt was dominant over the other grains, I would love to know the mash bill. Very nice, very, very drinkable, but not complex. Score 85

Thanks John, I had wanted to try this for a long while. I enjoyed it very much and will pounce if I ever have a chance to buy a full bottle!
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Closed Distilleries