NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Introduce Yourself

Fell free to introduce yourself. Stop here and say hello.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby GSC » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:39 pm

I registered some time ago, but never posted, although enjoyed reading the posts. So I should rectify this, and post.

I live in the eastern USA, 55 years old, and come from solid Celtic stock, and do enjoy a taste from time to time.

I'm also related to that Mothrae woman you folks have managed to put up with so far.
Whatever doesn't kill you will leave a scar.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:22 pm

Welcome GSC,

Great to have you on board, seems to be a bit of momentum gathering in the North East US...

We have an enthusiast based outside of Boston who is investigating the possibility of setting up a 'chapter' in the Boston area, will keep you informed of any developments.

cheers TheWhiskeyBro
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby Smoke_Eater » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi all! Most of the forums that I go on usually don't discuss much irish whiskey. I happen to love Irish Whiskey so my search for more knowledge, discussion, etc. has landed me here. I live on the West Coast of the United States and I look forward to spending some time here.
Smoke_Eater
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:05 pm

Hello Smoke_Eater! Glad to have you on board, and looking forward to hearing about the whiskey landscape out West. Whereabouts on the coast are you? We have one other member out that way (Bay Area).
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Mothrae » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:12 pm

A Boston chapter, a Pennsylvania chapter, we'll need one in New York City for all the Irish there, and now a West Coast chapter!

I hoist a glass to ye!

Don't believe anything GSC says, unless he's offering money. (I do love him, however)
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby DrinkofChoice » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:56 pm

Hi guys! My name is Pamela and I'm new to the forums. I've been a whiskey fan for a while now and I figured I'd try to find some other whiskey fans out there. . and so here I am.

You guys look like a really neat bunch of people, so I look forward to engaging in some fun filled (and perhaps drunken?) conversation. :mrgreen: Ha ha ha! Either way, I hope to meet you all soon. So glad to be here. Does anyone make their own whiskey? I'd love to hear about your adventures in whiskey creation. :D
I'm Pam and I LOVE my manitowoc ice machine. Best Whiskey Ice EVER! Trust me on this one! :D
DrinkofChoice
New Spirit

Postby Mothrae » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:21 pm

Slainte' DrinkofChoice!

Perhaps an Indy 500 Chapter of the Society? Works for me.

Careful guys, the Americans are gaining strength. Like we do to the rest of the world LOL
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby Malt-Teaser » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:15 am

Hi everyone,
nice to see some familiar names around here, so a few already know of me but for those who don't I'm known as Malt-Teaser in various locations around the Web-o-sphere and owner of a website called Whisky-Emporium.
This is no longer a commercial website in any way, but is now home to my personal library of tasting notes on all forms of whisk(e)y including some Irish.

Anyway, nice to finally be here,
Malty
Malt-Teaser
Rundlet Cask

Postby DavidH » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:30 am

Nice to meet you, Malt-Teaser.

And hello to Pamela too!
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Malt-Teaser » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks for the welcome David and I'm sure we have spoken in the past on an alternative internet location.
Malt-Teaser
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi Malty , nice to see you over here. Good of you to pop your head in. I don't get much of a chance to pop over to WM these days ... Or the dark side ;-)

Welcome to GSC, Smoke-eater & Drink of Choice
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:28 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:Thanks for the welcome David and I'm sure we have spoken in the past on an alternative internet location.

I certainly know your name :) I did enjoy the WhiskyMag forum but I fell off it due to lack of time.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Malt-Teaser » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:56 am

Yes, welcome to "Deactivated member No." (now which one was I :roll: )
Malt-Teaser
Rundlet Cask

Postby irish-whiskey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:00 am

Kieron here from New Zealand.

Been collecting Irish-Whiskey for 15 years now (I'm Irish) and I quite enjoy the odd tipple or two. Nobody here in our town ever drank any before I landed 9 years ago but I'm trying to wean them off the dreadful Bourbon they dring here. My local Bottle Store now stocks Jameson's, Powers, Redbreast, many Bushmills & some Cooley brands!

I have a largeish collection of openers, corkscrews, mirrors, crocks, advertising and some full bottles inc. a circa 1910 Powers, a full 1932 William Jameson 10 year old, a 40 year old Old Comber, a Dunvilles, and two Bushmills Millennium Malts - The Angels Share. I also have an early 18th century book on a public inquiry held into the manufacture and sale of Spirits in the UK and its packed full of actual testimony from ALL distillers of the period inc. JJ & J Power.
irish-whiskey
New Spirit

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:14 am

Hi Kieron welcome to the forum,

You are the only other person I know who has a William Jameson 10yo (extremely rare)

Love to see a pictures of your older bottles especially the Old Comber 40yo which I've never seen. The 1910 Powers would also be fascinating to see.

As far as the Angels Share Millennium bottling I think they were bottles over and above the expected yield from the Millennium Casks.

In relation to your book what is the title, not the 'Truths about Whisky' book, sounds interesting.

Great to have you on board, as the website and forum develop...
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby irish-whiskey » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:49 am

Thanks. I'll grab a few photos tomorrow and post them. The Powers bottle is full but in poor shape .... most of the label gone. I believe I have a few other W J items too and a nice George Roe item too. It guts me but 30 years ago I was involved in demolition an a Dublin distillery abd the offices were full of documents ... all was burnt .... I still have nightmares on this ....
irish-whiskey
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:54 am

irish-whiskey wrote:It guts me but 30 years ago I was involved in demolition an a Dublin distillery abd the offices were full of documents ... all was burnt .... I still have nightmares on this ....

I'm wincing...

But it's great to have you here, Kieron! There are a couple of Kiwis in our society in Dublin but they'll be going home next year. Perhaps ye have the core of a NZ chapter?
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby william66 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:14 pm

My the name is Billy and i have always been a whisky drinker as i never liked the taste of beers etc. to be honest :
william66
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:26 pm

That pretty much describes me too, Billy. Welcome to the party!
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:25 pm

Welcome Billy ... get stuck in and let us know what you have been drinking all these years. We love our Irish Whiskey here but we are not set in our ways and you'll find most people here also dabble in the black arts of scotch and a few others too ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby GSC » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:07 pm

New Zealanders take note:

Head over to Christchurch. There's a crate of 100-year-old Scotch frm Shackleton's expedition thawing out. Maybe, if you're nice to them...

*We can dream*

Check my news article posting on this in the "Whiskey" column here.
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby shaneymac » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:40 am

Hi Folks,

My name is Shane, and Im living in the west of Ireland (Mayo), I have been collecting bottles of spirits from all over the world for some fifteen years. Most of them are just local produce that look unusual and/or cool!! However I have over the years picked up some quality Whiskeys and Brandys. I kinda thought they would be a good investment as the years go by!! I dont drink any of the collection and only have the odd hot whiskey in wintertime. I suppose there will be one hell of a wake after I bite the dust!!!!

I would love to have the collection valued and wonder how one might go about it if anyone can offer advice?
shaneymac
New Spirit

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:55 am

Hi there Shane, if you wish to PM me with a list of your whiskies I will do my best to give you some idea of current values. You might also try to PM IrishWhiskeyChaser http://www.irishwhiskeychaser.webs.com/ who might also be able to help.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby GSC » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:09 pm

***I dont drink any of the collection and only have the odd hot whiskey in wintertime. I suppose there will be one hell of a wake after I bite the dust!!!!***

Now there's a person with a lot of willpower...
GSC
Quarter Cask

Postby Dugarry » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi Lads,

I started drinking whiskey 4 years ago and havent really looked back. I dont really buy beer these days, maybe a few Samuel Adams (just to mix things up a bit).

Anyway, I am more into Scotch whisky than Irish (although my Irish whiskey only ever involved Powers and Jameson - Powers is ok but I cant stand Jameson).

I am interested though to find out more about Irish whiskey in the future, especially Connemara.
Dugarry
New Spirit

PreviousNext

Return to Introduction