NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Redbreast 15yo (2005)

Midleton Whiskey tasting notes
Jameson, Midleton, Paddy, Powers, (Green & Yellow) Spot, Redbreast

Redbreast 15yo (2005)

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:49 pm

Redbreast 15yo 46%

Nose: Big Big Sherry & a bit of Toffee interlaced together

Taste: Massive Mouth Watering full fruity flavours tingling the cheeks, Oily and chewy.

Finish: Lovely spice and fruity sherry mixing in and out on a good length finish

Comment: Mouth waterering, Lip smackingly good, This is simply Irish Pot still simply at it's best. A heavy weight contender for one of the worlds top whiskeys.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: Redbreast 15yo

Postby stephen leddy » Mon May 11, 2009 5:25 pm

Adrian,

unfortunately I didn't transfer my posts from our last website to this one. I am enjoying this whiskey (although my expectations were different at the start) but I keep coming back to it to try and understand and experience the huge undivided (it seems) adoration for this pot still whiskey.

I still think I am missing something big here. Yes it is mouthwatering, oily and whewy to me also. I get the toffee and the spice. However, I am at a loss to see how quite alot of people vote this as one of the worlds best whiskeys.

Feeling like an outcast! :(

...and that's the beauty of this complex tipple :D

Stephen
stephen leddy
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon May 11, 2009 6:10 pm

stephen leddy wrote:
I still think I am missing something big here. Yes it is mouthwatering, oily and whewy to me also. I get the toffee and the spice. However, I am at a loss to see how quite alot of people vote this as one of the worlds best whiskeys.

Feeling like an outcast! :(

...and that's the beauty of this complex tipple :D

Stephen

Maybe your not missing anything just possibly it's not exactly to your taste but at least you are enjoying it in some way ;)

I'm the same with Ardbeg ... just can't fathom it at all. I'm head over heals with Laphroaig but just don't get Ardbeg ... some people think I'm a mad man :lol:

Unfortunately an Irish Whiskey like Redbreast 15 yo comes up so seldom at the original price that we all jumped at it and in that possibly talked it up too often but for me still a Giant of an Irish Whiskey. If Jameson Rarest Vintage was available at 56Euro a bottle I think I'd be saying the very same about that but it just may fall short of that cult status because of the 400Euro price tag.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Luke Gough » Fri May 22, 2009 2:49 pm

I have the same problem re Ardbeg/Laphroaig - Can't understand the attraction of Ardbeg/Love Laphroaig.

Redbreast 15 is Ard-Rí of Pure Pot Still (at least until a proper NCF 18YO emerges - at 48-50%!)
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Postby JohnM » Fri May 22, 2009 3:08 pm

I think Ardbeg is wonderful, but they can produce anything these days and everyone's bound to say it's wonderful. Some of it isn't great at all.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Re: Redbreast 15yo (2005)

Postby MyIrishHome » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:28 pm

Redbreast 15yo

Nose: Has that typical Irish smell to me. Sherry in a not to small dose. Some maltiness and rather "fullflavored" what ever I mean with that.

Taste: Fruity, smooth, oily (I like that oily feeling). Some spiciness but that's not what I sense first.

Finish: A bit flat and not the best part of this. Not to much differences to the taste, just falls down a bit.

Comment: Good vork Midleton and IDL. At Whiskycast the keep gnabbing about Redbreast as THE single pot still. I will put some of this up against some other a see. I will not be surprised if Redbreast will stand the test. Easy going but rather full-bodied, a lot of complexity and sweetness that makes it a very good dram.
MyIrishHome
Quarter Cask

Return to Midleton