NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Introduce Yourself

Fell free to introduce yourself. Stop here and say hello.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby DavidH » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:24 pm

Hej Steffen! Nice to have you around. We'd love to hear how your exploration of Irish whiskey goes.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Mothrae » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:31 pm

Pocono is an Indian (Native American) name. A popular ski resort area. There is also a Pocono NASCAR speedway. And it was mentioned in Days Of Thunder.
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby Gumerk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:16 am

Hjello,

I'm Gumerk. I just recently discovered Jameson, and I felt the need to go explore Irish Whiskey on the internet because it is the best drink I have ever tasted. If the rest of Irish Whiskey is like this, I'm gonna be one happy camper! lol
Gumerk
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:46 am

Hi Gumerk! I like Jameson too and I think you are in for a treat. There are lots of wonderful Irish whiskeys.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:46 am

Gumerk wrote:Hjello,

I'm Gumerk. I just recently discovered Jameson, and I felt the need to go explore Irish Whiskey on the internet because it is the best drink I have ever tasted. If the rest of Irish Whiskey is like this, I'm gonna be one happy camper! lol

Welcome Gumerk,

If you like Jameson wait till you try Jameson 12yo a much richer sherried whiskey ...

enjoy the odysey :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby SixCats! » Sun May 16, 2010 3:31 pm

Hello all,

My name is SixCats! (aka Tom Patrick). I originally hail from "The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" aka Rhode Island (USA). Both my Grandparents (on my Dad's side) were from Ireland. In my youth, I have lived (briefly) in the States of Texas, Alabama, New Jersey. As an adult, I spent a total of twenty one years between (Los Angeles) California and (Nashville) Tennessee. I presently reside in the beautiful State of Maine since the Spring of 1999. In my past, I have been a (SAG) Actor and Vocalist. I am presently employed as a
"Direct Care Professional" working with "Special Needs" Adults. I much prefer living in the Country in Maine
(as opposed to the City). My wife ( my High School Sweetheart) and I live in a small Town,
(pop. three thousand) located forty five miles North of Portland, Maine. We very much enjoy the peace and quite of the Country. We enjoy seeing Animals such as Fox, Wild Turkey, Raccoon, Deer, Moose, BobCat, American Bald Eagle, etc. I have had many hobbies/interest over the years. Aside from collecting Cats (had seven, now four) I have collect (and have amassed) too much Home Audio gear (mostly Vintage/Classic). My "pride & joy" is a rare/circa 1950's (Charles Eames designed) Stephens Tru-Sonic Mono Horn Speaker (175 lbs.) which I use a vintage PILOT AA-903B (EL-84) Mono Tube Amp of fourteen watts. This combo sounds AWESOME! I mostly enjoy listening to Classic Jazz, Blues, light Classical. I also (if time permits) enjoy Archery/Deer hunting in the Autumn season.
Of late (considering the World situation) I decided I'd benefit (read mellow out) by enjoying some "Spirits". I've mostly been a "Beer/Wine" guy. I have become completely OBSESSIVE researching Irish Whiskey and Scotch Whisky. I spend waaaaaay too many hours on the computer, making lists of peoples reviews/ratings/likes/dislikes/etc. After much research, my first bottle purchase was REDBREAST. An EX-cellent first choice me thinks! I LOVE it! I've already finished one Redbreast as well as one bottle of Powers Gold label. I now have begun to collect (read Squirrel away) several bottles of Spirits for Maine's long Winter (I believe it's called prior planning). Presently have in reserve, two REDBREAST, one "The Irishman Original Clan" (aka 70) one Jameson 12, one Highland Park 12 and one ARDBEG 10. I've yet to taste any of these I have in storage, I hope I can wait until Fall!
In addition, I have (opened) BLACK BUSH, "THE FAMOUS GROUSE GOLD RESERVE" and TITO's Vodka. All quite good! I plan on purchasing a select FEW more "higher end" Scotch and Irish (something on the order of Lagavulin 16, Talisker 18, Highland Park 18 for Scotch) and Commemara, REDBREAST 15 for Irish Whiskey (when available to the US). That being said, I plan to seek out more "modest" priced Spirits as daily drinkers. I tried a NIP of BUSHMILL ORIGINAL and I rather like it especially considering it's twenty dollar (or thereabouts) price. I found Powers Gold label is also a pretty good dram for the same price. A lovely (lighter) tasting Scotch is TAMDHU 10 also at the twenty dollar price point. At Heart, I'm a "bargain" hunter so, I'll be searching the "most-est for the least-est" Irish & Scotch Whiskies. I don't know if Bushmill Original can be beat for it modest cost. I'm open to suggestions! Thanks all.

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom Patrick
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby John » Sun May 16, 2010 7:08 pm

Hey Tom,
You're very welcome to the IWS Forum! :thumbsup:
Hope we can help you get the most from Irish Whiskey and certainly if you have any questions there's usually someone kicking about here that will happily help you out - directly or through vigourous debate! :lol:
All the best,
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sun May 16, 2010 8:38 pm

Welcome Tom,

Keep an eye out for Black Bush, a superb whiskey and just above the entry level Bushmills Original, in our view over here well worth the extra few dollars, enjoy the journey....
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby SixCats! » Sun May 16, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome. WhiskeyBro, yes indeed Sir! I've already purchased and have opened my first bottle of BUSH BLACK. BB cost $31.00 in my neighboring State of NH (more in Maine). I am enjoying BB and I know BB is a more...ROBUST dram than Bushmill Original but, it is still twelve dollars more a bottle than BB here in my neck of the woods. No problem, I have little doubt that I'll keep one (or more) of each on hand. While I AM enjoying BB, REDBREAST is still first in my Heart! Then again, REDBREAST cost $12.00 more than BB.

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom Patrick
SixCats!
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun May 16, 2010 11:06 pm

Welcome Sixcats, hope you enjoy your odyssey ...

Nothing wrong with enjoying a cheap whiskey and as you say in these times a bargain can taste that much better :thumbsup:

As your already a Redbreast 12yo fan your in for a treat once the Redbreast 15yo finds its way over stateside.

Good luck and enjoy.

Sláinte
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon May 31, 2010 2:36 pm

hey,

Dave here. odd time reader, first time poster :-P ive been slowing making my way into whiskey since the start of 2009. handy then that a society popped up around there.

currently based in the strange land of dundalk ive been trying to make my way down for a tasting since about last november. ive a good feeling about june :lol:
Dave
New Spirit

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Mon May 31, 2010 7:32 pm

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum, feel free to pop down anytime, a bit of a trek but we get visitors from galway, kilkenny, mullingar and occasionally overseas visitors, cheers
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:12 pm

Congrats to the Forum for hitting the 5000th post mark. Not bad for out little form. Also a big thank you to all participating members. Eventhough we have 140 members we only have a core of maybe 20 people who post regularly.

Keep it up guys and hopefully we can attract more member in time :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Ace » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi, another new guy checking in. I'm originally from a small town in southeastern Pennsylvania but I live/work in downtown Philadelphia.

Up until a year ago I was strictly a beer drinker. Then one of my old college roommates (by the surname of Sullivan) introduced me to Redbreast. That started my interest in Irish whiskey, and now my paltry collection is up to around sixteen bottles. Unfortunately the selection in my area is quite poor so the crowning jewel of my small collection is a bottle of Tullamore Dew Distillery Reserve, which was purchased from a store 3,000 miles away (Cask, in San Francisco, California). My favorites are Powers Gold Label, Jameson 12yr and Redbreast 12yr.

My username is taken from the late 1990s TV show "Red Dwarf". "Ace Rimmer" was a recurring characters on that show and one of my favorites.

Looking forward to discussing whiskey and other matters with you folks! :mrgreen:

N.B. with all the discussion about the Poconos and Pocono Raceway here I thought I'd mention that I'm going camping in the Poconos this weekend (Frances Slocum State Park, near Wilkes-Barre PA). :D I've not been to Pocono Raceway for a NASCAR race as Dover Downs (the "monster mile") is closer to me.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Ace
New Spirit

Postby brettie vedder » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Ace wrote:Hi, another new guy checking in. I'm originally from a small town in southeastern Pennsylvania but I live/work in downtown Philadelphia.

Up until a year ago I was strictly a beer drinker. Then one of my old college roommates (by the surname of Sullivan) introduced me to Redbreast. That started my interest in Irish whiskey, and now my paltry collection is up to around sixteen bottles. Unfortunately the selection in my area is quite poor so the crowning jewel of my small collection is a bottle of Tullamore Dew Distillery Reserve, which was purchased from a store 3,000 miles away (Cask, in San Francisco, California). My favorites are Powers Gold Label, Jameson 12yr and Redbreast 12yr.

My username is taken from the late 1990s TV show "Red Dwarf". "Ace Rimmer" was a recurring characters on that show and one of my favorites.

Looking forward to discussing whiskey and other matters with you folks! :mrgreen:

N.B. with all the discussion about the Poconos and Pocono Raceway here I thought I'd mention that I'm going camping in the Poconos this weekend (Frances Slocum State Park, near Wilkes-Barre PA). :D I've not been to Pocono Raceway for a NASCAR race as Dover Downs (the "monster mile") is closer to me.

hey ace. born and raised in philly. was in ireland for 2 years and just moved back to the suburbs about 45 minutes from philly. bucks county if you know it. anyways, welcome to the forum
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby Ace » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:53 pm

brettie vedder wrote:hey ace. born and raised in philly. was in ireland for 2 years and just moved back to the suburbs about 45 minutes from philly. bucks county if you know it. anyways, welcome to the forum

Hi brettie, thanks for the welcome. I am originally from Chester County (south of Philadelphia) so I don't know the intricacies of Bucks County but I have a few friends from Allentown area. I'm living and working in the Logan Square area of Philadelphia. Good to meet a local on board! :mrgreen:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Ace
New Spirit

Postby brettie vedder » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:55 pm

Ace wrote:
brettie vedder wrote:hey ace. born and raised in philly. was in ireland for 2 years and just moved back to the suburbs about 45 minutes from philly. bucks county if you know it. anyways, welcome to the forum

Hi brettie, thanks for the welcome. I am originally from Chester County (south of Philadelphia) so I don't know the intricacies of Bucks County but I have a few friends from Allentown area. I'm living and working in the Logan Square area of Philadelphia. Good to meet a local on board! :mrgreen:

good stuff. we have to start up a PA chapter...seems like we have a few, lol
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby uncle fester » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi there. Colin here. From Cork but living in Dublin.
Starting to build up a nice collection now and decided to look for an online forum so here I am!
The whiskey tasting nights look interesting. Might pop along to one if I'm free. The missus loves her whiskey too.
uncle fester
New Spirit

Postby JohnM » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:25 pm

Hi Colin

Welcome to the forum. The tastings are worth going to. Bring friends too...

John
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby DavidH » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:43 pm

Hey Colin! You are in the right place. I reckon Cork is under-represented around here, even though that's where a lot of the whiskey comes from.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby uncle fester » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:06 pm

Just read up on some of the tasting sessions. Yum yum!
Shame I'm probably going to be busy for the next one. :(
uncle fester
New Spirit

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:49 pm

Welcome to the forum... hope you enjoy your time with us :thumbsup:
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: donnaj867

I deleted that user for posting a spam link to the forum.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:03 pm

On the ball David :thumbsup:
I see the new site design is being rolled out - when will the forum itself be converted?
Cheers,
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:19 pm

John wrote:On the ball David :thumbsup:
I see the new site design is being rolled out - when will the forum itself be converted?
Cheers,
J.

I'll take that question over here, if I may.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

PreviousNext

Return to Introduction