NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What are you having yourself?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What are you having yourself?

Postby PureDrop » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:35 pm

Hmmm ... on checking the bottle-bank cache (i.e. stuff awaiting transportation to the bank), I discovered an empty Readbreast 12 - another favourite and dare I say it, preferable to the 15? I may have to disappear now and validate or refute that assertion!
/M
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:03 am

Jameson 12, Midleton VR 2004
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:48 am

Ben Nevis 15yo and a Redbreast 12yo last night. Very nice too!
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby jcskinner » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:17 pm

Oh dear, the open bottles number has crept upwards again.
Currently got nine bottles open, including probably too many Bushmills.
Currently working through the hipflask-ful of 12 yo Caol Isla that sustained me on my holiday recently, and the dregs of one of the Bushmills 1608 400th anniversary bottling that I picked up at the start of the year.
I also still have a Black Bush open for visitors and a Bushmills Distillery edition 12 yo open for me! 8-)
And then there's the Irishman single malt, which is basically a beefy 12 yo bourbon-finished Bush ideal for summer drinking.
There's some smokey options for the mrs too - Connemara cask strength and a 21 year old Glen Garioch.
And I recently got given another Green Spot and a second set of the Kilbeggan 'test tubes' so this time I'm going to actually taste them.
If it weren't for the society tastings, it's entirely possible that I'd spend the rest of my life drinking mostly Bushmills. Not a bad prospect, but it is good to try new things, of course.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:04 pm

No harm there JC ... if you like it you may as well drink it ;)

The mention of the 1608 Anniversary reminds me to visit that again soon as I am quite partial to it.

Supping a Connemara Cask strength myself at the mo and I have a Bladnoch lightly peated lined up for afters.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:18 am

jcskinner wrote:I also still have a Black Bush open for visitors and a Bushmills Distillery edition 12 yo open for me!

I had a Bush 12yo tonight (I really like this one) and I bought two Black Bushes in O'Brien's (thank you, Bargains thread!).
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:25 pm

DavidH wrote: I bought two Black Bushes in O'Brien's (thank you, Bargains thread!).

Yes they were good value all right and a great excuse to stock up ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby jcskinner » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:18 pm

Had a dram of my oul lad's Old Comber the other day.
Nearly had to wrestle the bottle off him! :lol:
The nose, as everyone comments, is staggeringly complex. I left the glass sitting for about 20 minutes and every five minutes it smelled totally different as it opened up. My notes were everywhere.
On the palate, I think this is a much maligned spirit. Jim Murray claimed it to be the wrong side of woody, and as far as I can see, everyone follows that opinion.
But I would disagree. I've not had the joy of drinking too many well-aged PPS's in my time, but this one seemed in great condition.
Sure, the wood comes through, with that varnish-y, dusty quality one expects from older PPS. But it's not without balance. I could go on all day about the strange, bizarre tastes that I kept finding, or imagining I was finding (hard to know which after a certain point :lol: ), but I won't.
Suffice to say, I was once again reminded of how happy I am to have a full bottle of this stashed away for my own old age!
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:22 pm

Laphroaig 18yo.

A triumph of a Laphroaig ... plenty of the Laphroaig umph but with lovely dept, obviosly not as much punch as a young 1oyo but much more than the beautifully sedate 15yo which is strange.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:48 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Laphroaig 18yo.

A triumph of a Laphroaig ... plenty of the Laphroaig umph but with lovely dept, obviosly not as much punch as a young 1oyo but much more than the beautifully sedate 15yo which is strange.

adrian, how much does the lap 18yo go for here if your not ordering direct from laphroaig? my brother in texas picked up a bottle of the 18yo for $65. seems really cheap to me. unless maybe someone priced it wrong.
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby shanel23 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:06 pm

On Saturday after a nice liquid meal myself and a friend tried a Glenfiddich sample set - a 12 15 and 18 yr old - the general consensus was the best one was the 15 - mind you we also drank the superquinn cooley , a Suntory 12 yr old and some Jameson signature reserve. All in all a great evening of whiskey delights :)
shanel23
Rundlet Cask

Postby jcskinner » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Sounds like a corking evening!
More power to your elbow.
I just realised there's a measure or so left at the bottom of the Tyrconnell Port Casks 10 yo. It was a light, tasty number, and I'll be sad to see the back of it.
I'd get another, except someone gave me a bottle of Green Spot last week, so I feel sorted for Summery whiskeys.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:19 pm

brettie vedder wrote:

adrian, how much does the lap 18yo go for here if your not ordering direct from laphroaig? my brother in texas picked up a bottle of the 18yo for $65. seems really cheap to me. unless maybe someone priced it wrong.

Got mine for €69Euro in Dublin but I have a feeling that was an introductory offer for it's launch and that it is normally €79. However in saying that I have not seen it in stocj since :roll:

As your fully aware prices in the States can be much better than over here but even the UK prices are usually better than here too :cry:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:49 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
brettie vedder wrote:

Got mine for €69Euro in Dublin but I have a feeling that was an introductory offer for it's launch and that it is normally €79. However in saying that I have not seen it in stocj since :roll:

As your fully aware prices in the States can be much better than over here but even the UK prices are usually better than here too :cry:

just saw a review on it saying its retailing for $100 in america. i guess it differs from state to state. considering he paid $50 for 1/4 cask, id say it was marked wrong, haha
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:39 pm

Had some Nikka from the Barrel last night.

Japanese blend. Hard to beat, really. One of the most pleasant whiskys available, I think, even at a high abv.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:43 pm

Tonight I'm having a Ben Nevis 25 "single cask". Fourteen years in bourbon and the rest in a sherry cask. Very, very nice.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:28 pm

Nothing planned for tonight but I'm away for the weekend and have a PPS tasting lined up with the family.

I'm going to have:

Greenspot
Greenspot 10yo
Redbreast 12yo
Redbreast 15yo (Old Bottling)
Redbreast 15yo (New Bottling)
Jameson 15yo
Midleton Single Cask (Celtic whiskey shop) (14yo)

Looking forward to this!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby Mothrae » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:46 pm

Nice. *drool*

You wouldn't mind taking a slight detour to pick me up at the airport, would you? :D

IainB wrote:Nothing planned for tonight but I'm away for the weekend and have a PPS tasting lined up with the family.

I'm going to have:

Greenspot
Greenspot 10yo
Redbreast 12yo
Redbreast 15yo (Old Bottling)
Redbreast 15yo (New Bottling)
Jameson 15yo
Midleton Single Cask (Celtic whiskey shop) (14yo)

Looking forward to this!
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:13 am

I'm inpressed, be sure to report back ... I have been really lazy about checking out the latest version of Redbreast 15yo :oops: Look forward to you report on the differences between the 2....
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Tsolias » Sat May 01, 2010 1:57 pm

These are my open bottles at this period and I enjoy each one occasionally

-Kilbeggan 15yo
-Laphroaig Quarter Cask
-Laphroaig 15y.o.
-Oban Distillers Edition
Tsolias
New Spirit

Postby varizoltan » Thu May 06, 2010 12:50 am

just finished my first bottle of my own single cask of Tyrconnell 17.5 years old, with a little help from Iain
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Thu May 06, 2010 10:12 am

Hey Iain,
Not sure how I missed your earlier post! That was a fantastic PPS line-up, how did it all go on the night?
Cheers,
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby IainB » Thu May 06, 2010 10:32 am

varizoltan wrote:just finished my first bottle of my own single cask of Tyrconnell 17.5 years old, with a little help from Iain

Yeah thanks for that Z. I'm going to buy you a spirit measure for your next birthday. Thanks to several very heavy handed pours of your very very drinkable cask strength whiskey I'm now sitting in work with a sore head!

Lovely whiskey though!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Thu May 06, 2010 10:39 am

IainB wrote:
varizoltan wrote:just finished my first bottle of my own single cask of Tyrconnell 17.5 years old, with a little help from Iain

Yeah thanks for that Z. I'm going to buy you a spirit measure for your next birthday. Thanks to several very heavy handed pours of your very very drinkable cask strength whiskey I'm now sitting in work with a sore head!

Lovely whiskey though!

how come you have a sour head?
i was thinking why i have no sour head, possibly, because it is just so good and no additives
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Thu May 06, 2010 10:49 am

I have a sore head because I drank too much of your whiskey, went to bed a 2am and was woken up by my 3yr old at 6.30 am. That's pretty much it.
IainB
Hogshead

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey