NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Introduce Yourself

Fell free to introduce yourself. Stop here and say hello.

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Fionnán » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:22 am

Hi all,

Really glad to have discovered this site; I'm on the mailing list for the society but i'm rarely in Ireland when the tastings seem to be occurring. Family's from Clontarf originally but we moved out to Los Angeles when my dad got work here and i'm currently finishing up my undergraduate studies at Berkeley here in the states. Anyway, i've always been a big malt and pure pot still fan and i've also got quite an interest in whiskey history. My favorite drams are Redbreast (both the 12 and the 15 yr Old), Lagavulin 16 yr old, Ardbeg Uigeadail, and Green Spot. As you can probably guess from that list, i have a particular fondness for both peaty and pot still whiskeys.
Anyway, we have a kind of quirky program here at Berkeley called the "decal" system through which students (under the supervision of a sponsoring professor who pops in now and again) teach our own classes on offbeat subjects for fun and my friend David and i happen to run a class on the history and appreciation of Whiskey so i'm very glad to have the opportunity to get some input and help from you guys.

-Fionnán
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby DavidH » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:58 am

Berkeley, eh? Go Cardinal!

Heh heh, sorry :D It's great to have your expertise around these parts, Fionnán, and let's hope you make a meeting or two in 2010.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:52 pm

hi all, my name is brett your probably wondering about my user name. pearl jam is my favorite band and eddie vedder is the lead singer. hence brett"ie" vedder, lol. anyway i am originally from america. i am married to an irish girl and am currently living in galway about 45 minutes NE of the city. i love it here in ireland and have been getting into whisk(e)y since about 2004. i started out with your typicals in america. jameson, johnny walker black, cutty sark, etc.. i got into it very fast and started to educate myself about the differences. the irish whiskies quickly became my favorite. i was primarily a beer drinker when younger, but soon realized that whiskey more suited my taste. i started to drink whiskey out in pubs with my friends and they all thought i was crazy. a young guy drinking whiskey instead of bottles of watered down lager. i actually felt bad for people for missing out on the nectar of the gods, lol. but anyway, over the years ive been trying as many different types of whiskeys as possible. i will try anything once. some of my favorite irish whiskies so far have been 12 year redbreast and the 12 year connemara peated single malt. but for those everyday occasions, i love my tullamore dew and powers. i joined this forum in the hopes to meet some new friends who have the love for whiskey like i do. it would be nice to be able to go out and taste and discuss whiskies with other people. and also it would be nice to talk on the forum and get tips for some good bottles to pick up. i am currently in the market for some 10 year laphroaig. i have heard amazing things about it. enough rambling for now. hopefully we can get something planned in galway soon!
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:36 pm

brettie vedder wrote:hi all, my name is brett your probably wondering about my user name. pearl jam is my favorite band and eddie vedder is the lead singer. hence brett"ie" vedder, lol. anyway i am originally from america. i am married to an irish girl and am currently living in galway about 45 minutes NE of the city. i love it here in ireland and have been getting into whisk(e)y since about 2004. i started out with your typicals in america. jameson, johnny walker black, cutty sark, etc.. i got into it very fast and started to educate myself about the differences. the irish whiskies quickly became my favorite. i was primarily a beer drinker when younger, but soon realized that whiskey more suited my taste. i started to drink whiskey out in pubs with my friends and they all thought i was crazy. a young guy drinking whiskey instead of bottles of watered down lager. i actually felt bad for people for missing out on the nectar of the gods, lol. but anyway, over the years ive been trying as many different types of whiskeys as possible. i will try anything once. some of my favorite irish whiskies so far have been 12 year redbreast and the 12 year connemara peated single malt. but for those everyday occasions, i love my tullamore dew and powers. i joined this forum in the hopes to meet some new friends who have the love for whiskey like i do. it would be nice to be able to go out and taste and discuss whiskies with other people. and also it would be nice to talk on the forum and get tips for some good bottles to pick up. i am currently in the market for some 10 year laphroaig. i have heard amazing things about it. enough rambling for now. hopefully we can get something planned in galway soon!

you are on the best place with us

for now we only have tastings in Dublin, but we are planing to do it nationwide

we already have a goodfew members in Galway, so chances are good to go for a Galway branch

but in the meantime you are very welcome to Dublin on wednesday 25, november for a premium irish tasting
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:25 pm

varizoltan wrote:
brettie vedder wrote:hi all, my name is brett your probably wondering about my user name. pearl jam is my favorite band and eddie vedder is the lead singer. hence brett"ie" vedder, lol. anyway i am originally from america. i am married to an irish girl and am currently living in galway about 45 minutes NE of the city. i love it here in ireland and have been getting into whisk(e)y since about 2004. i started out with your typicals in america. jameson, johnny walker black, cutty sark, etc.. i got into it very fast and started to educate myself about the differences. the irish whiskies quickly became my favorite. i was primarily a beer drinker when younger, but soon realized that whiskey more suited my taste. i started to drink whiskey out in pubs with my friends and they all thought i was crazy. a young guy drinking whiskey instead of bottles of watered down lager. i actually felt bad for people for missing out on the nectar of the gods, lol. but anyway, over the years ive been trying as many different types of whiskeys as possible. i will try anything once. some of my favorite irish whiskies so far have been 12 year redbreast and the 12 year connemara peated single malt. but for those everyday occasions, i love my tullamore dew and powers. i joined this forum in the hopes to meet some new friends who have the love for whiskey like i do. it would be nice to be able to go out and taste and discuss whiskies with other people. and also it would be nice to talk on the forum and get tips for some good bottles to pick up. i am currently in the market for some 10 year laphroaig. i have heard amazing things about it. enough rambling for now. hopefully we can get something planned in galway soon!

you are on the best place with us

for now we only have tastings in Dublin, but we are planing to do it nationwide

we already have a goodfew members in Galway, so chances are good to go for a Galway branch

but in the meantime you are very welcome to Dublin on wednesday 25, november for a premium irish tasting

thanks. will keep the dublin tasting in mind. what does it entail? prices?
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:52 pm

Welcome Brettie

Was talking to you on the other boards.ie forum. Glad you made it here.

There's at least two others from Galway here - Adrian and Micheál.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:21 pm

thanks. will keep the dublin tasting in mind. what does it entail? prices?[/quote]

see other topic under society events, november tasting
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi Brett, good to see you found the forum, hope you can make some use of it.

I'll contact you once I'm back. And not only can we discus Whiskey but it sounds like we can discus music too ...

Pearl Jam rocks :thumbsup:

Sláinte
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:09 pm

JohnM wrote:Welcome Brettie

Was talking to you on the other boards.ie forum. Glad you made it here.

There's at least two others from Galway here - Adrian and Micheál.

hey john, thanks. lets hope we can get together for a tasting soon. from reading it sounds like you guys are MILES ahead of me. looks like ill have some catching up to do. wish i had more money to buy bottles, lol
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:11 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Hi Brett, good to see you found the forum, hope you can make some use of it.

I'll contact you once I'm back. And not only can we discus Whiskey but it sounds like we can discus music too ...

Pearl Jam rocks :thumbsup:

Sláinte

ill def. be learning stuff on this site. pearl jam FTW! talk to you..good luck
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby damienmcguigan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi all,

I am Damien and currently working in IT support in Dublin.
Like most whiskey and hoping to pick up a few things as well.

Damien
damienmcguigan
Quarter Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:36 pm

Welcome Damien, hope you enjoy the forum and an opportunity to learn more about Irish Whiskey!!!! :thumbsup:

PS Congrats on being the first new member on the forum in 2010.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:05 pm

damienmcguigan wrote:Hi all,

Damien

Did you join the Irish Whiskey Society last year or even attend one of the tastings?

If not join up this year and I garantee you it will be worth your while :thumbsup:

It is Dublin based and there will be at least 10 tastings (roughly 1 a month till November)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:35 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:

Damien

Did you join the Irish Whiskey Society last year or even attend one of the tastings?

If not join up this year and I garantee you it will be worth your while :thumbsup:

It is Dublin based and there will be at least 10 tastings (roughly 1 a month till November)

ugh, when will the west get a piece of the action!?
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:55 pm

we are planning :thumbsup:
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby damienmcguigan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:

Damien

Didnt join last year but i am thinking about it this year. Getting married later on in the year so money will be very tight - may have to do a pick and mix of tastings that are on but will certainly be at some.
damienmcguigan
Quarter Cask

Postby Mothrae » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:41 pm

Slainte! Dia dhuit! Is mise "Mothrae".

I live in the Pocono area of Pennsylvania in the US, born to solid Irish-American stock, the first of us arriving on this side around 1830. Surnames of Kelly (Dad) and Cavanaugh (Mom), Dad's side from Limericktown, Mom's side from Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim. So much for history.

I'm the baby sister of four kids (now age 45), two older brothers and one older sister. Alcohol has always been a part of our household, and at least once a month ceili somewhere with our mostly-Celt neighbors. Quite a few Irish mid-1800s immigrants in our area, most finding work in the coal mines, canals, and railroads in this part of the US. Drinking was and is a part of life here.

We only had the best beverage in our house, that we could afford, and I enjoy a taste from time to time right up to today. Quality uische beatha, both hEirannach ag hAlban, always a favorite.

Also a practicing cailleach, always need a token Witch around, right?

Beannacht leat!

Gleanntan ni Cheleigh
Gleanntan ni Chelleigh

Tonight's forecast - DARK - followed by scattered light in the morning.
Mothrae
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:12 pm

Many welcomes to a long lost cousin of the fair green isle.

Hope you enjoy the site and look forward to you joining in and sharing your thoughts on whiskey.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby brettie vedder » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:04 am

Mothrae wrote:Slainte! Dia dhuit! Is mise "Mothrae".

I live in the Pocono area of Pennsylvania in the US, born to solid Irish-American stock, the first of us arriving on this side around 1830. Surnames of Kelly (Dad) and Cavanaugh (Mom), Dad's side from Limericktown, Mom's side from Ballinamore, Co. Leitrim. So much for history.

I'm the baby sister of four kids (now age 45), two older brothers and one older sister. Alcohol has always been a part of our household, and at least once a month ceili somewhere with our mostly-Celt neighbors. Quite a few Irish mid-1800s immigrants in our area, most finding work in the coal mines, canals, and railroads in this part of the US. Drinking was and is a part of life here.

We only had the best beverage in our house, that we could afford, and I enjoy a taste from time to time right up to today. Quality uische beatha, both hEirannach ag hAlban, always a favorite.

Also a practicing cailleach, always need a token Witch around, right?

Beannacht leat!

Gleanntan ni Cheleigh

born and raised in philly, pa. lived in the suburbs until moving here 2 years ago. been to the poconos many a times. i learned to ski at big boulder and jack frost. used to go up there for drinking holidays when in college. small world....
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby DavidH » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:28 am

Mothrae wrote:I live in the Pocono area of Pennsylvania in the US

Pocono... Pocono... why does that name ring a bell? I've never been there and I don't know anything about it. Was it in the lyrics of a song? Or mentioned in a movie? That's going to keep me awake tonight...

Anyway, nice to meet you, Mothrae! We have been missing the Witch perspective up until now :)
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby brettie vedder » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:23 am

DavidH wrote:
Mothrae wrote:I live in the Pocono area of Pennsylvania in the US

Pocono... Pocono... why does that name ring a bell? I've never been there and I don't know anything about it. Was it in the lyrics of a song? Or mentioned in a movie? That's going to keep me awake tonight...

Anyway, nice to meet you, Mothrae! We have been missing the Witch perspective up until now :)

its a famous mountain/vacation spot in pennsylvania. maybe you heard it from NASCAR? there is a Pocono Raceway. and im sure its been mentioned in movies/songs. just not sure which off the top of my head
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby DavidH » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:43 pm

brettie vedder wrote:its a famous mountain/vacation spot in pennsylvania. maybe you heard it from NASCAR? there is a Pocono Raceway. and im sure its been mentioned in movies/songs. just not sure which off the top of my head

I've never seen NASCAR but now I'm worried I know the name from Days of Thunder... that would be embarrassing :)
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby macdeffe » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:13 pm

Hello All

My name is Steffen and I live in Århus, Denmark. I have been interested in Scottish Whisky for many years, but hope to lurk around here to learn more about irish whiskey. My own experience with irish whiskey is a bit limited, but I have tried a few things. So far my favourites has been som single casks bottlings of Bushmills.

Macdeffe
Last edited by macdeffe on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macdeffe
New Spirit

Postby brettie vedder » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:30 pm

DavidH wrote:
brettie vedder wrote:its a famous mountain/vacation spot in pennsylvania. maybe you heard it from NASCAR? there is a Pocono Raceway. and im sure its been mentioned in movies/songs. just not sure which off the top of my head

I've never seen NASCAR but now I'm worried I know the name from Days of Thunder... that would be embarrassing :)

lol, i think they did mention pocono raceway in days of thunder
brettie vedder
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:00 pm

Welcome Steffen - good to have your on board. I recognise you from the Bladnoch forum...

John
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

PreviousNext

Return to Introduction