NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

THIS FORUM IS CLOSING!

Fell free to introduce yourself. Stop here and say hello.

THIS FORUM IS CLOSING!

Postby DavidH » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:21 pm

Dear Irish Whiskey fan,

This forum will be closed to all new discussion from next weekend (10 March 2018).

The world moves on and the society running its own server, database and forum software is an anachronism. There are other venues for discussion on the internet these days and most users have already migrated there. The Irish Whiskey Society itself has outposts on Facebook and Twitter.

The plan is to preserve the information and chat in this forum by taking a snapshot of it before it closes. We will then upload the snapshot to the same web address (that's our hope anyway).

Thank you very much for all your contributions over many years.

The forum is dead, long live Irish whiskey discussion!
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Re: THIS FORUM IS CLOSING!

Postby Liam Murray » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:27 pm

Onwards and upwards.....
Liam Murray
Quarter Cask

Postby John » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:53 am

A very regressive decision David. I’m very disappointed that the full potential of this resource was not fully explored by the Society, and it’s being dropped in favour of Twitter?!!! Hardly like for like. The preservation of the information is obviously the most important deliverable now it would appear anyway. If there is any risk to that and equally if there is to be any likely impediment to members being able to freely access it, then this process should stop immediately.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby Raven » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:26 pm

John wrote:A very regressive decision David. I’m very disappointed that the full potential of this resource was not fully explored by the Society, and it’s being dropped in favour of Twitter?!!! Hardly like for like. The preservation of the information is obviously the most important deliverable now it would appear anyway. If there is any risk to that and equally if there is to be any likely impediment to members being able to freely access it, then this process should stop immediately.

I completely agree. Twitter is a forum I associate with the Great Leader and I
do not mean the little round guy in Asia. Twitter is not a forum for serious discussion
or exchange of information. It would appear that it is not even certain that the
information contained in the forum will survive in any format. Membership cards
went a few years ago etc. etc. What is there left for members outside of Dublin ???
At this stage now that an undemocratic decision has been taken to close the forum
why not go for a full re-brand and relaunch as the 'Dublin Whiskey Society' ????? because
that in essence is the way the Society is going.
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Postby ssascott » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:27 am

This is very sad. I discovered this site as my interest in Irish whiskey grew and as the explosion of brands, collectible and otherwise, occurred around me. Then and now I have not found a finer collection of Irish whiskey lovers on the internet. That said, it’s been pretty dead. Not much conversation to go with the proliferation of our favorite tipple. I will miss knowing where to go for great advice. Take care everyone!
ssascott
Quarter Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:39 am

Thanks to all who contributed to this archive of Irish Whiskey knowledge. Hopefully it'll remain intact as an archive

Sláinte
Will
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Return to Introduction