NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

On the decision to close the Society’s Forum.

Everything Irish Whiskey Society related.

On the decision to close the Society’s Forum.

Postby John » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:57 am

Apparently a decision as been taken by someone (?) to close the Forum. My two cents;

A very regressive decision David. I’m very disappointed that the full potential of this resource was not fully explored by the Society, and it’s being dropped in favour of Twitter?!!! Hardly like for like. The preservation of the information is obviously the most important deliverable now it would appear anyway. If there is any risk to that and equally if there is to be any likely impediment to members being able to freely access it, then this process should stop immediately.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Re: On the decision to close the Society’s Forum.

Postby Raven » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:29 pm

John wrote:Apparently a decision as been taken by someone (?) to close the Forum. My two cents;

A very regressive decision David. I’m very disappointed that the full potential of this resource was not fully explored by the Society, and it’s being dropped in favour of Twitter?!!! Hardly like for like. The preservation of the information is obviously the most important deliverable now it would appear anyway. If there is any risk to that and equally if there is to be any likely impediment to members being able to freely access it, then this process should stop immediately.

I completely agree. Twitter is a forum I associate with the Great Leader and I
do not mean the little round guy in Asia. Twitter is not a forum for serious discussion
or exchange of information. It would appear that it is not even certain that the
information contained in the forum will survive in any format. Membership cards
went a few years ago etc. etc. What is there left for members outside of Dublin ???
At this stage now that an undemocratic decision has been taken to close the forum
why not go for a full re-brand and relaunch as the 'Dublin Whiskey Society' ????? because
that in essence is the way the Society is going.
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Re: On the decision to close the Society’s Forum.

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:09 pm

I'd love if it continued. Unfortunately there is no one on the committee that uses it. That's been the way for a couple of years now.
It's requires regular maintenance and updates to try and foil hackers and allow other stuff( technical stuff) to happen. I think David, has been called upon to try and keep it going. Without him it would have gone 3 maybe 4 years ago. I remember it being discussed at meetings and fighting for it.
I have been told that it will remain as an archive on the society's website. David is trying to make it as accessible as possible but no further information will be added.

I can't understand why certain things are done by the society sometimes. You know I've been vocal before about it. You're right about the membership card and the gift too. I paid €100's in over the years and get to go to a hard full of tastings because as you rightly said, it's a Dublin society. We're sitting on a tonne of money and yet others are scorned for spending money, they earned by themselves on their members. It's no secret, I love drinking good whiskey, we should splash out a little.

I know most of the current committee and they're determined to address some of the shortcomings brought up at the AGM. By growing it basically fucked itself. Larger tastings need 2 of everything and bigger rooms. We will never be able to recreate some glorious tastings.

I love the society for the friends I've got out of it and the great nights we've shared. The Forum was my way of keeping in touch. Twitter is no place for discussion. Facebook is horrible too. It's impossible to search information like a forum. Both the society's Facebook & Twitter will probably only ever be used for announcements etc.

Fionnan, Jim & many others use "The Pure Pot Still Irish Whiskey Appreciation Club". It's well run and discussions are kept to Irish whiskey alone. We'd love if it was all about Pot Still but nothing is perfect as we've all learned.

Thank you so much for the discussions and help and craic over the years. I'll miss this place.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Return to Society