NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

GreenSpot Chateau Montelena!

Let's talk whiskey.

GreenSpot Chateau Montelena!

Postby John » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi All,

Quick note to advise that the newly released Green Spot Chateau Montelena is now available at Mitchel & Son! Just tried it earlier and it's an excellent release. Beautiful colour, flavour and fantastic fruit notes on the nose. Not by any standard a huge release so I would move reasonably quickly to get some as I have a feeling it will go fairly quickly to be honest.

Cheers,
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Re: GreenSpot Chateau Montelena!

Postby Rick M. » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:50 pm

How does it compare to the Leoville Barton release, John?
Rick M.
New Spirit

Postby John » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:39 pm

Sorry Rick, just seeing your reply/question now!

Same philosophy behind maturation and finishing; same strength at 46%; which to be fair means it's much easier to compare the contribution of the two different wine casks, Bordeaux vs. Zinfandel. This is a fantastic comparison also because of the success that the American winery had in the famous blind wine tasting back in the 70's!

For me, the colour is fantastic, reminds me of the Bushmills 16, but more brilliant. The nose is incredibly fruity, the official tasting notes mention Pomegranate but I'll have to confess that my palate couldn't pick up on that. Cherries yes and some citrus even but that was it.

On the palate, the typical potstill characteristics are there, wonderful chewy mouthfeel, great finish.

I think I prefer it to the Leoville Barton, but that's a tough choice and to do them justice I would really have to taste them side by side.

The bottom line I guesss is that I think it's a really good release and a true hallmark of both the production systems at IDL and the whiskey heritage and wine supplier relationship management at Mitchel's.

Jmho of course.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby Rick M. » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:09 pm

John wrote:Sorry Rick, just seeing your reply/question now!

Same philosophy behind maturation and finishing; same strength at 46%; which to be fair means it's much easier to compare the contribution of the two different wine casks, Bordeaux vs. Zinfandel. This is a fantastic comparison also because of the success that the American winery had in the famous blind wine tasting back in the 70's!

For me, the colour is fantastic, reminds me of the Bushmills 16, but more brilliant. The nose is incredibly fruity, the official tasting notes mention Pomegranate but I'll have to confess that my palate couldn't pick up on that. Cherries yes and some citrus even but that was it.

On the palate, the typical potstill characteristics are there, wonderful chewy mouthfeel, great finish.

I think I prefer it to the Leoville Barton, but that's a tough choice and to do them justice I would really have to taste them side by side.

Thanks for your assessment, John. Hopefully I can find a bottle in Canada. I’ve enjoyed Chateau Montelena cabernet sauvignon over the years and have great respect for the winery.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, John. Hopefully I can find a bottle in Canada.

The bottom line I guesss is that I think it's a really good release and a true hallmark of both the production systems at IDL and the whiskey heritage and wine supplier relationship management at Mitchel's.

Jmho of course.
Rick M.
New Spirit

Postby Rick M. » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:15 pm

Thanks for your assessment, John. I’m going to try to track down a bottle in Canada.
Rick M.
New Spirit

Return to Whiskey