NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What have I got?

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

What have I got?

Postby Gavel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:13 pm

So, I picked this up in a raffle. It is marked as DPL Group Irish Whiskey Commemorative Millennium Edition. It was bottled in 1994. The back label describes it as DPL Reserve Irish Whiskey, a blend of pure pot still single malt and grain whiskey matured in oak for at least 3 years. In very small letters it mentions John Locke & Co Ltd. There is also mention of it being made in a distillery first established in 1757. A quick Google search suggests that this is the Kilbeggan distillery, but that the same distillery was closed in 1957 and no whiskey made in it after 1954, until it was reopened 25 years later as a museum. So what do I have here? A 1994 bottled whiskey claiming to be from a distillery that closed 40 years earlier. Who knows anything about this one? Thanks!
Gavel
New Spirit

Re: What have I got?

Postby JohnM » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:36 pm

Kilbeggan, as far as I know, didn't start distilling again until 2007 or 2008, so it is unlikely it is from there.

It would most likely be from Cooley. Do you have a picture of the bottle?

"Pure pot still single malt" is very Cooley. The don't use the term anymore for their single malt.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Return to Collectors Corner