NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Hurling, Football or Rugby

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

Hurling, Football or Rugby

Postby MyIrishHome » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:49 pm

I am planing a trip to Ireland for my family and one more family. We are looking for some culture experience, i.e. good pubs and sports events. I have e-mailed and left messages on Facebook but don't see to get contact so therefore I try here. We are going to be in Galway 3&4th Jan and in Dublin 6&7th of Jan (the 5th is still to be desided) Does anyone of you know if there is any hurling or Gaelic football played at these dates? Rugby we found Leinster vs Zabres on the 6th.

On the 5th as I wrote we should be somewhere. What we look for is a nice village with a nice pub. Any suggestions. If Dublin and Galway is full of tourist stuff what we look for know is just a calm and nice place.

Thanks for your help
MyIrishHome
Quarter Cask

Re: Hurling, Football or Rugby

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

I fear that you may have missed the best of what the GAA has to offer as it really is pretty much in a closed season.

The main County competitions (best of the best players) are over but some club competitions are still going.

There maybe the possibility for an Connacht All-Ireland Senior Club Championship Semi-final on the 4th but who or when that will be played is very tentative so you'll have to wait closer to the time.

A small village to stay in that I would recommend is a place called Kinvara. Has 5 or 6 pubs and 1 hotel but I would imagine plenty B&B's, one pub called Greens has a fairly decent whiskey range but an even better display of whiskey as they collect a lot of different (full) bottles just for show. Kinvara is a small village with it's own Quay and a castle near by and quite picturesque. Not a far drive from Galway city and it would be maybe an hour from the Cliffs of Moher. But a lovely place of interest on it's door step is the Burren. Which is basically a unique wild rocky (nearly lunar) landscape and a unique ecosystem. You don't need to be into rare plants to enjoy this place though, great for walks and scenery and it has it's own portal Tomb and a few other bits and bobs in there. Google it I'm sure you'll learn more than I ;-).

The other alternative is North of Galway where the famous Connemara lies, a wild boggy land scape but I don't know enough to suggest a village.

Galway city is a great spot but will not offer you the real relaxed atmosphere that possibly your looking for. This city is always buzzing but now has some great whiskey pubs. Possibly woth making as your base though as you can do both the Burren and Connemara then ;-)

On you way from Galway to Dublin be sure not to pass by Kilbeggan. Even if people in your party are not into Whiskey the tour of the 19th Century distillery is very interesting from any historical point of view. Just check to see if it is open that time of year?!??!?!?!?

Any questions just pop them in here and we'll try to sort you out.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Alicja » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:41 am

I cant resist myself from recommanding two spots around Galway: Keanes Bar, Maam Bridge - nice spot in the middle of nowhere in Connemara and small tiny very traditoinal pub with hay roof in Rossaveal (on the way to Coral beach).I cant remember the name of place.
both beautiful places.
Alicja
Quarter Cask

Postby Stephen » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi, the Leinster v Zebre game will be a little one sided but enjoyable. There'll be no need to purchase tickets in advance, it won't be sold out and you'll be able to buy on the day.
Stephen
Rundlet Cask

Postby MyIrishHome » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:25 pm

Stephen wrote:Hi, the Leinster v Zebre game will be a little one sided but enjoyable. There'll be no need to purchase tickets in advance, it won't be sold out and you'll be able to buy on the day.

It sure got one sided but we had great fun!!!
MyIrishHome
Quarter Cask

Postby Stephen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:21 am

I did warn you :-)

Didn't expect it to be that one sided however
Stephen
Rundlet Cask

Postby Solianne » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:04 pm

When mention about Ireland, I always think about Gaelic football :D
Last year my uncle went to Ireland to watch Ireland Senior Football Championship. He was so excited telling me about it.
Solianne
New Spirit

Return to Everything Else