NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What are you having yourself?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: The Dram Room. What have you been drinking ????

Postby IainB » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:14 pm

I've tried he 70 and also feel it doesn't really hang together that well. It's drinkabel enough but I wouldn't get excited about it. Very interested to heat it's Midleton malt in the blend.

David's question is quite interesting - does anyone know for certain where the malt in the single malt comes from?
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:36 pm

martin wrote:Just had a dram of Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve 15y - 53.5% vol. A beauty of a bourbon. Excellent, long finish. Needs a touch of water (not much).

Can only recommed it if you like bourbon. Would like to get my hands on a 21y old one.

I had a chance to taste the entire range at Whisky Live London ... however was leaving it till one of the last stalls to go to and ran out of time. Ireland v England in te 6 nations was on that evening and I had to run out of the place to get to somewhere to watch the match :(

I was really looking forward to it too as I had met someone who thought the 20yo that was there was amazing. AH well missed opertunities ....
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:41 pm

I actually prefer the 70 over the single malt but yes I agree that the Rare Cask strength is a bit of a rip off. Great whisky but 125Euro for an no age statement cask strength whiskey is a bit rich. And a limited edition of 2000 does not exactly make it super rare or premium in my opinion.
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:49 pm

Was on a stagg do on Saturday so after copious amounts of beer I had a few Powers to settle me ;) But no point talking about them as I was well trollied :lol:

Last night I had Highland Park single cask offering. A rich spicey sherry cask which I enjoyed immensely.

I have returned to the Kilbeggan 15yo tonight ... I must admit te nose on this whiskey is lovely and actually reminds of a Bushmills malt for some reason even though it is a blend. The taste even though fairly good is no half as rewarding. ANd the finish is very dry n early too dry.

I can see why this has got great reviews but not sure if it would appear in my top ten Irish Whiskies. And for €95 a bottle it's a high hurdle to clear.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Longrow Gaja Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:27 am

Longrow Gaja Cask ...

To be quite honest I have no idea what Gaja is but probably some kind of mad capped wine ;)

The nose is quite strange and all over the place with resin wood making a cautionary appearance which does not instill confidence but there is a underlying sweetness too.

Nice bit of sweetness that gobstopper core type sweetness and oak sap but not in the bad way not like the nose.

A rich finish and an unusual finish but really enjoyable which may sound strange from the above comments.

Definately an aquired taste but rewarding once you get with it ;)
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:12 am

Greenspot. Lots and lots of greenspot.

All the talk of greensport on this forum last week reminded me I was out of it so I went and got some on Monday. I'm now about 2/3rds through the bottle. So I guess I'm enjoying it. This one is actually quite malty, which is unusual for a PPS!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:59 am

IainB wrote:
All the talk of greensport on this forum last week reminded me I was out of it ....

Good to see your having a bit of Greensport ... obviously your a fit whiskeyinado ;)
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:51 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
IainB wrote:
All the talk of greensport on this forum last week reminded me I was out of it ....

Good to see your having a bit of Greensport ... obviously your a fit whiskeyinado ;)

Oops. Bit lazy about the proof reading there. :oops:

That's said, we don't all have the time to photograph, individually number and describe in detail every glass we happen to have in out cabinet! :thumbsup:
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:28 pm

IainB wrote:Oops. Bit lazy about the proof reading there. :oops:

That's said, we don't all have the time to photograph, individually number and describe in detail every glass we happen to have in out cabinet! :thumbsup:

Oh I don't have time for that kind of lark either ... I get my secretary to that sort of stuff for me ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Whiskey Pilgrim » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:54 am

Just popped a Jameson 18 open for my daughters 1st birthday,,feckin georgous !!!
Whiskey Pilgrim, "Cock o´Bizkaia"!!
Whiskey Pilgrim
Rundlet Cask

Postby jcskinner » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:04 am

Enjoying the Connemara Cask Strength I won at the whiskey tasting competition earlier this year.
Yum.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:38 am

Finished off my First Spirits bottled Cooley peated last night. Basically a slightly richer version of any Connemara single cask I've had so far. Excellent single cask version and sad to see it gone ... but I have another in reserve :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

What are you having yourself?

Postby jcskinner » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:18 pm

Another thread that can often be found on whisk(e)y or bourbon discussion boards.
What are you drinking tonight? Where are you drinking it? Who with, or are you enjoying a few half-uns in your own company? Why are you drinking that particular drop?
Let us know!
I'll kick off. Tonight I fair demolished a wee dram of the Connemara cask strength, which was all the more enjoyable for doing so with my recently acquired in-depth knowledge of how Connemara is put together, thanks to Noel Sweeney's brilliant Connemara tasting that he did for us earlier this year.
I'm taking a break from the smoke with a Jameson Signature reserve, but it's still not really very impactful for me, I'm afraid.
So next up will be a second go at the new whiskey from The Hot Irishman lads, The Writers Tears. First time around it didn't bowl me over, but the packaging is impressive and both the nipper and the mrs both (separately) exclaimed "That's the best name for a whiskey, EVER!", which it probably is.
Anyhow, enough about my drinking. Tell me, what are you having yourself?
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Re: What are you having yourself?

Postby JohnM » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:20 pm

Trying the Knappogue sample pack and the Kilbeggan spirits. Knappogue 95 really nice, so far. I like the one month old Kilbeggan spirit a lot, but only a small nip at a time.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby PureDrop » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:58 pm

Hmmm. North Port 20yo from the "Rare Malts" selection - distilled 1979, bottled 10 years ago in October 1999, 61.2%vol The only reason I mention it is that while not focusing at all on the whiskey, I got an incredible taste of pure cinnamon bark in the mouth. Wonderful!
Other than this one-off burst of cinnamon, the whiskey is unremarkable and not worth seeking out.
Michael
PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby jcskinner » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:15 am

Isn't North Port a single grain? Or do I have that wrong?
Sounds interesting nonetheless.
I'm on the more prosaic but no less rewarding Knappogue 95 tonight. This is pretty much Bushmills spirit in its naked glory - sumptuous, chocolately, some grass, nutty, an all round classic in my opinion. It's like a fruit and nut bar in a glass.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:57 am

Just a wee HP12 ... an easy go to whisky when relaxing by a turf fire 8-)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:22 am

jcskinner wrote:Isn't North Port a single grain? Or do I have that wrong?
Sounds interesting nonetheless.
I'm on the more prosaic but no less rewarding Knappogue 95 tonight. This is pretty much Bushmills spirit in its naked glory - sumptuous, chocolately, some grass, nutty, an all round classic in my opinion. It's like a fruit and nut bar in a glass.

That's North British, no?
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:43 pm

I guess I had it wrong!
I knew one of those North- distilleries were known for their aged single grains. Then again, I'm no expert on Scotch. I'm abstaining tonight in advance of the Bushmills and JW tasting tomorrow.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby PureDrop » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:10 pm

PureDrop
Rundlet Cask

Postby Tsolias » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:19 pm

Opened my Springbank 1997, batch#2 the other day.

WOW!! Unbelievable hot pepper attack in the mouth when neat!!! :o

And also a bottle of Ben Nevis 10yo, a malt whisky that I have never tried before.

WOW!! (again, but on the nose this one) - Now that's what I call a medicinal aroma, antiseptic, formaldeyde, hospital,.......something rotten, decayed,.....very unusual......morgue??....., after a while some wet botanic notes, combined with the rest it reminded me " a walk in the cemetery after the rain".
Tsolias
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:13 am

Tsolias wrote:... a bottle of Ben Nevis 10yo, a malt whisky that I have never tried before.

WOW!! (again, but on the nose this one) - Now that's what I call a medicinal aroma, antiseptic, formaldeyde, hospital,.......something rotten, decayed,.....very unusual...... morgue?? ....., after a while some wet botanic notes, combined with the rest it reminded me " a walk in the cemetery after the rain".

I love the descriptions ... I'm just worried about where your hanging out ;)

And talking about medicinal ... Just tippling the 2009 Laphroaig Cairdeas 12yo .... :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:42 am

Maybe it's the Morgue as in the Templeogue Inn?
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:41 pm

just had some Connemara Sherry finish...

how about that :?:
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:13 am

Suppin some Licher myself .... a german Weisbier
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey