NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Jameson 7yo Pure Pot Still (c.1940s)

Midleton Whiskey tasting notes
Jameson, Midleton, Paddy, Powers, (Green & Yellow) Spot, Redbreast

Jameson 7yo Pure Pot Still (c.1940s)

Postby cathach » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:07 am

Jameson 7yo Pure Pot Still.
This sample was courtesy of JohnM. Ná laga Dia thú!! May your beard grow long and full and your cattle also.

Colour: Light straw. (Definitely no caramel or the like here).

Nose: Turps, pine and wood polish. There's also lots of sandalwood and 'high' notes. All in all it has the scent of an old toolshed, and so brings back a lot of fond memories. Slight hint of creosote towards the end, but I'll have to check tomorrow.

Palate: Dry and tart on the tongue. Sherry comparisons are often used for Jameson so in this case Manzanilla or Fino. Medium bodied. Not oily or viscous at all, which surprised me as I associate that factor with this style.

Finish: Very clean and short aftertaste with that lemony tartness coming through.

This was a really interesting one and lived up to expectations. What a fine whiskey, it would make you weep for all that has been lost.
cathach
Rundlet Cask

Re: Jameson 7yo Pure Pot Still (c. 1940s)

Postby JohnM » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:19 am

Cathach

"Toolshed", that's a great description. That describes perfectly what I get off it, but could never put into words.

It tastes nothing like the Jameson you get today. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

John
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Re: Jameson 7yo Pure Pot Still (c.1940s)

Postby Joel1802 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:27 am

Colour: gold

Nose: garden shed, herbicide, icing sugar, perfume, industrial, oil, kerosene

Body: medium, viscous

Palate: Garden shed, oil, herbicide, sweet, cotton candy, briefly floral, vegetal, oak, bitter eucalyptus or cough syrup.

Finish: garden shed, spice (cloves??), vanilla, brief sherry note, drying, oil, more herbicide.

Fantastically consistent from nose to finish, couldn't be truer to distillery character. Hard to peel back all the layers. More please. 93

Thanks John.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Midleton