NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What are you having yourself?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What are you having yourself?

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:13 pm

Seamus wrote:Had a very enjoyable tasting with Ridge004 a little over a week ago. Highlights included the Teeling An Pucan, a Powers 16, a cask strength Irishman, and a Laphroig 15.

That's a mighty tasting Seamus. I'm wondering what was your favourite?
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Seamus » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:31 pm

Good Whiskey Hunting wrote:
Seamus wrote:Had a very enjoyable tasting with Ridge004 a little over a week ago. Highlights included the Teeling An Pucan, a Powers 16, a cask strength Irishman, and a Laphroig 15.

Hard to say, but if pressed I would go with the An Pucan. It may have stood out more because it was preceded by some lighter drams. Ridge004 spirited his contributions away before I thought to take a photo, but the remainder of the lineup was as follows:
Attachments
Capture_opt.jpg
Capture_opt.jpg (47.93 KiB) Viewed 14337 times
Seamus
New Spirit

Postby ridge004 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:07 pm

Seamus wrote:
Good Whiskey Hunting wrote:

Hard to say, but if pressed I would go with the An Pucan. It may have stood out more because it was preceded by some lighter drams. Ridge004 spirited his contributions away before I thought to take a photo, but the remainder of the lineup was as follows:

Was a lovely time indeed, with fine hosting by Seamus and his family. Something tells me the series will continue!
ridge004
New Spirit

Postby mario0807 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:47 pm

i am drinking Tomatin

Note from Admin: Hi mario0807 you are welcome to the forum but please don't just comment to add in your website. Be part of the community and feel free to let us know about your website but multiple short comments in various threads with your web address attached comes across more like spamming. Most now deleted. Feel free to use the Introduce yourself where you can explain your website etc also. Thanks and best of luck with it.
mario0807
New Spirit

Postby Seamus » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:42 pm

Enjoyed a dram of the Teeling Revival Vol. II last night while watching utube flyovers of the Loch Ness marathon route (will be doing in a few weeks) and the Dingle marathon route.

The apple notes really came through initially but then seemed to recede as the whiskey breathed. Very interesting nose when first poured. I wouldn't mind a few more drams to get to know it a little better, but alas I just had the one sample.
Seamus
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:16 pm

Doing a bit of a clear out of "stuff" in my office and came across a few interesting samples I had forgotten about.

Currently sipping an old Dunphy's from the 50's.

This was a blend made by IDL and obviously contains potstill of the old style. A bit salty on the nose and sweet barkey. Musty, oily and buttery on the palette (very soft comforting mouth feel), a nice gentle sweetness, sprinkling of dusty spice, some (lemon) balm mint and a touch soapy. Not unpleasant but could see myself getting very bored of it quickly. However I could also see this pairing very well with a stout or dark ale so possibly a good pub accompaniment back in the day.

Will be trying a Preston's 10yo Jameson next.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby ridge004 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:08 pm

Seamus wrote:Enjoyed a dram of the Teeling Revival Vol. II last night while watching utube flyovers of the Loch Ness marathon route (will be doing in a few weeks) and the Dingle marathon route.

The apple notes really came through initially but then seemed to recede as the whiskey breathed. Very interesting nose when first poured. I wouldn't mind a few more drams to get to know it a little better, but alas I just had the one sample.

We can fix THAT little problem, Seamus. You know where to find me!
ridge004
New Spirit

Postby MyIrishHome » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:30 pm

Redbreast 15y. celebrating that I finally are going to return to Ireland. Last time was 2001 so it's high time. Back then I did not drink whiskey at all so this time I have one more aspect to explore. the Redbreast is a great whiskey but I would like to have some more. I love the sherry tone, the oily texture and the full bodie. What would you suggest more for me from this list? But let's stay under 1000 skr (rouffly 100 euro)

https://www.systembolaget.se/sok-dryck/ ... edcountry=^Irland%24&fullassortment=1&pageto=2
MyIrishHome
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:41 pm

the prices for Redbreast are very good. Much cheaper than here so get your 12 & 15 at home.

i also see a Tullamore phoenix , this has a touch of sherry in it too and should be cask strength circa 55%

Another good value and tasty Irish whiskey,

the half bottle of Irishman 70 is well worth trying too (obviously this weill not be as full bodied as a redbreast but worth a try).

And Jameson Black barrel has a little bit extra over the regular jameson

That should keep you going for a while. ;) :salut: bd) :sunny:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby MyIrishHome » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:41 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Another good value and tasty Irish whiskey,

the half bottle of Irishman 70 is well worth trying too (obviously this weill not be as full bodied as a redbreast but worth a try).
bd) :sunny:

Irishman there will be then. Since it is already in "my" store and I can pick it up after work tomorrow. The Phoenix I have already tried and enjoyed. (I have a small dram or two left but it is a bit old in the bottle)

What is the story about the black barrel? Is it more charred cask used for maturation?

Cheers for the tips
MyIrishHome
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:08 am

The Black barrel I feel is not as good as it portraits to be. Now don't get me wrong, nice Jameson but I was expecting much more from the initial descriptions.

Basically for me it is a stepping stone between the regular Jameson and Jameson 12.

It has a much richer flavour of the regular Jameson but not the body (oiliness) of the Jameson 12yo.

There is more wood in it though but as with the majority of Midleton products they are blended to be well balanced with no one trait overly dominating.

However it has been a while since I tasted it but I liked it and the bottle did not last long ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:20 pm

I had it and can't remember what I thought of it. The cask strength whiskey available from Bow Street and Midleton is a version of it, I believe. That one's very good.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby chamolk » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:49 am

I was in the Dead Rabbit in New York in April this year, and they had a bottle of Dingle whiskey, but were unable to let me try it as duty hadn't been paid.

Are Dingle releasing their whiskey already? Has anyone tried it?

Conán
chamolk
New Spirit

Postby Seamus » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:33 am

Having a dram of 3 Swallows to celebrate my MN Wild win tonight. I'll be rinkside Saturday when they face off in a battle where one of 2 epic winning streaks will end.
Hockey, by the way. Possibly a bit foreign to many readers on this board.
Seamus
New Spirit

Postby ridge004 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:04 am

A small, sort-of-eclectic tasting to address some near-empty situations:
St George single-malt from California (lot 12, for those who are familiar)
Pearse Lyons Reserve from Alltech's Kentucky distillery
Knappogue 12-y-o.
Green Spot

Low-key, but a fine reminder of what a great time it is to be drinking whiskey.
ridge004
New Spirit

Postby varizoltan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:53 pm

some old 80-s Crested ten
70-s Powers
1976 Edradour single cask

yesterday I had a redbreast tasting
2005, 2011, 2012 15 years olds
2011 cask strength
lustau
mano a lamh
new method and madness pot still

had great fun revisiting these bad boys :salut:
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:08 am

That's a fine tasting Zoltan. I'm polishing off a Bushmills 16 myself. I had a bottle of Tomintoul 16 from holidays. There's no comparison.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby varizoltan » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:47 pm

Crested Ten, 2015 release

sad to see this is gone too...
well, been replaced with "Crested"...
i may just buy a bottle of that and do a Crested generations tasting, but unfortunately, I know what the conclusion be at the end...
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby Seamus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:28 pm

I tend towards bourbon and rye in the summer, so Evan Williams single barrel and Rittenhouse BIB are mostly what has been flowing lately at my place. But last night I opened a bottle of Balcones Baby Blue corn whiskey and really enjoyed it. I think the last bottle emptied was one of my dwindling stock of Elijah Craig 12.
Seamus
New Spirit

Postby ridge004 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:04 pm

Seamus wrote:I tend towards bourbon and rye in the summer, so Evan Williams single barrel and Rittenhouse BIB are mostly what has been flowing lately at my place. But last night I opened a bottle of Balcones Baby Blue corn whiskey and really enjoyed it. I think the last bottle emptied was one of my dwindling stock of Elijah Craig 12.

Please check your messages, as we need to get you back on the Irish.
ridge004
New Spirit

Postby Seamus » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:42 pm

Well, Pat aka ridge004 succeeded in pulling me back (deeply back) into the Irish. He hosted a lovely tasting last night that found us savoring the following:

Bushmills 19 year rum cask
Knappogue Castle 1995 single malt
That Boutique Whisky Company 14 year irish single malt
Teeling 28 year rum cask
Method and Madness Single Grain
Slieve Foy 8 year single malt
Tullamore Dew 18 year single malt
Bushmill’s Millenium Malt single malt
Kilbeggan 21 year single grain
Powers 18 year Palace Bar single cask
Jameson 18 year
Locke’s 8 year single malt
Connemara 22 year peated single malt
Old Rarity blended scotch (circa 1950’s?)
Teeling 24 year single malt vintage reserve

As if the whiskeys weren't enough of a treat, the group included a piper and two fiddlers who were kind enough to play a little for us.

bd)
Seamus
New Spirit

Postby John » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:09 pm

That's a great line up Seamus! Hope you all enjoyed the night :thumbsup:
Was there any consensus in terms of a favourite amongst the group?
Cheers,
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:25 am

Seamus, I think you got seriously spoiled with that selection ;)

Sounded like a wonderful night ....

Will done to Pat :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby ssascott » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:50 pm

Connemara Turf Mor! Wow, this is great stuff. I was a big fan of Connemara Cask Strength in the tall bottle years ago. This rivals that experience. So peaty and delicious. I missed it last time it was around because it was not sold in the US and I didn't know about the wonders of ordering from Ireland.

I got this from Celtic Whiskey Shop. Also ordered a Tyrconnell 10 Year Port Cask. It is the only Tyrconnell missing from my collection. Every other Tyrconnell I've been able to find here but Port Cask is elusive so I added it to my Turf Mor order. Well the order arrives but the Tyrconnell is Sherry Cask, which I already have. Sent CWS an email before bed and when I woke up had a reply that they would dispatch the Port Cask and I could keep the Sherry Cask! Great customer service by CWS. I will be a customer for life!
ssascott
Quarter Cask

Postby Seamus » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:55 pm

John wrote:That's a great line up Seamus! Hope you all enjoyed the night :thumbsup:
Was there any consensus in terms of a favourite amongst the group?
Cheers,
John.

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Seamus, I think you got seriously spoiled with that selection ;)

Sounded like a wonderful night ....

Will done to Pat :thumbsup:

We certainly did get well spoiled.

There was a consensus but I don't recall which ended up being the final favorite. It's so hard to pick anyway - like choosing favorite family members! I do recall Slieve Foy was well liked on its own merits in addition to having a fun personal connection for a member of the group. The Millenium Malt and Palace Bar pours may have been the two with the most hands in the air during our 'vote early and often' poll at the end. Those were the two I voted for, although I probably most appreciated the opportunity to try the two Teelings. I recall reading reviews of them when they were released and wondering if I'd ever have the opportunity to try them. Well done to Pat indeed!
Seamus
New Spirit

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey