NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Help!!!

Let's talk whiskey.

Help!!!

Postby Clueless » Tue May 10, 2016 9:17 am

Hi, I am getting married in a few weeks and I want to get my hubby to be a special bottle of Irish Whiskey - I am thinking of spending max €150. Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome....Thank you.....
Clueless
New Spirit

Re: Help!!!

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue May 10, 2016 10:18 am

Hi Clueless,

Welcome and great question and what great idea, I am sure he will be delighted. I suppose we should first decipher if you know whether your husband has any favorites and ppossibly go from there?

i.e. what does he drink currently and then maybe we can go up market from that to suggest something a bit more special.

You don't even have to spend the €150 on the bottle but maybe get something around 80-100 euro mark and put in in a nice wooden box with 2 glasses. That is what we did for a couple we knew a while back a nice bottle of whiskey and vodka and some glasses and they were delighted as it was so different from the usual gifts.

So from that point of view if he is a regular drinker what sort of glasses does he already use. Tumblers etc. If it is something you want to consider just let us know.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Clueless » Tue May 10, 2016 11:28 am

Hi Adrian,
Thats a great idea, thank you. He doesn't have a favourite and would usually do a bit of research before buying a new bottle. On a special night out he would treat himself to something on the to shelf.
Is there a particular type you can recommend as being a little bit special??
Thanks again
Clueless
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue May 10, 2016 1:08 pm

Price is not always the key but the nicer ones do tend to cost a bit more but I had a peruse of the Celtic Whiskey Shop's website and the following is what I could come up with. All below 100Euro.

Personally I would not bother with Midleton Very Rare and although it is a nice whiskey for me it is too much of an easy drinking whiskey and not especially interesting and a bit obvious.

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/ They have a Flat rate delivery of €7.95 anywhere on the island of Ireland no matter what you buy so even 2 bottles could be an idea.

The Celtic Whiskey Shop in Dawson Street in Dublin currently has ...

Green Spot Chateau Léoville Barton @ €69.99 quite limited and excellent by all means.

Redbreast 15yo @ €97.00 a cracking whiskey and a constant favourite amonst whiskey drinkers

Powers John's Lane Reserve 12 Year Old @ €63.99 this is also a cracker and very much a favourite of mine.

Tyrconnell Madeira Finish @ 75.99 another very good whiskey but is bottom choice of my list.

From what else I saw online I was not over hit by anything of outstanding quality. The only one I can't comment on is the Celtic Whiskey Shop - Celtic Cask Ceathair Deag (14) and @ €135 the most expensive of the list but I have no clue of this and how it tastes. others to consider also would be Jameson Gold or Jameson 18yo which are usually avialable widely.

If your buying one of the cheaper ones above you might consider adding second in a nice presentation box which you can easily do yourself. I would suggest with maybe 2 glencairn glasses as these are the glasses he can use to explore the whiskey. Tumblers are more for a relaxing drink by the fire.

Teeling Single Malt @ €52.99 great value as it is really admired.

Writers Tears Copper Pot @ €44.99 another middle end whiskey.

And if you go for the Redbreast 15yo you could get him this book

A Glass Apart: Irish Single Pot Still Whiskey by Fionann O'Connor a wonderful book about Irish potstill whiskey.

If Dublin based you could buy him a membership to the Irish Whiskey Society.

I'm sure others will pop in here and give other ideas so remember it is all about personal taste and if you are unsure just go with your own gut feeling.

I'm sure no matter what you get he will be delighted ;) Best of luck on the big day bd)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Clueless » Fri May 13, 2016 1:50 pm

Thank you so so much Adrian, you have made it alot easier for me bd)
Clueless
New Spirit

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Fri May 13, 2016 11:07 pm

The Redbreast 15 is great whiskey. Bushmills 21 is another cracker that's under budget too.

Writers Tears Cask strength is another great whiskey.

Jameson Gold reserve is under €90 and I think it's a great blend.

I'd totally agree with Adrian about the book to. It's a great read. My sister has borrowed mine, she's not interested in whiskey but the book is so much more than a whiskey book.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Clueless » Mon May 16, 2016 12:14 pm

I have gone for the Redbreast 15yo and the book!!! thanks so much for your help :D :D :D bd) bd) :sunny: :sunny:
Clueless
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon May 16, 2016 12:32 pm

Excellent Choice.

It would have been my first pick but did not want to influence you too much.

I hope he is as thoughtful in return ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Whiskey