NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Almost through my mano a lamh

Let's talk whiskey.

Almost through my mano a lamh

Postby Wilson_smyth » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:03 am

So im nearing the end of my mano a lamh, and resisting the temptation to have barely tastable sips, instead wanting to enjoy a good glass at a time, even if it doesnt last as long.

But I cant keep but wondering what next. In relation to highly sherried whiskey's, what would anyone recommend?
I get a lot of sherry from Arran 14 but nothing like Mano a lamh.
I think nothing but another mano a lamh will scratch the itch, any whispers of it ever getting a 2nd batch?
Wilson_smyth
New Spirit

Re: Almost through my mano a lamh

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:18 pm

The Whisky Exchange has a single cask of Heavily sherried Redbreast but it is quite expensive.

I'm sure there are plenty out there ... just a matter of doing a bit of research.

Bushmills 16yo is mixed with both Port and Sherry casks through regular bourbon.
Bushmills Blackbush used to be fairly heavily sherried but I fear it is not as sherried as it used to be.

Auchentoshan 2 wood is another.

but my fav in scotch currently would be Aberlour A'bunadh. This is cask strength with a good big hit of sherry ;-)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:51 pm

It's a pity there isn't more Sherried pot stills out there. The Whisky Exchange Redbreast is very good from all reports.

I'm a fan of Glendronach, good whiskey and value too.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:09 pm

Jameson 12 is a nice sherried whiskey, and I think they're phasing it out.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Wilson_smyth » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:01 am

some good recommendations there, thanks guys.

Regarding the redbreast cask strength release, its out of my price range right now. I'm thinking in the 60-80 euro price range.
I have a bottle of Bushmills 16 but despite its sherry cask aging, it has very little sherry in it, in fact its one of the most disappointing whiskeys I've ever had considering the age and price.
BlackBush is indeed quite sherried and is my go to when I'm out as its well priced and dangerously delicious, I always have a bottle or two in the house.

Jameson 12 isn't something id buy again, its very nice, but i don't think it warrants the price, i found it a little benign, its lovely but just missing a little edge.
Il see about picking up a bottle of Auchentoshan 2 wood.

Sounds like I have some of the better affordable sherried whiskeys with Black Bush and Arran 14 (one of my fav's, also never without a bottle).
I will miss the Mano a Lamh. Not often i have access to something so rare and delicious!
Wilson_smyth
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:28 pm

Wilson_smyth wrote:Il see about picking up a bottle of Auchentoshan 2 wood.

When I saw you mentioning picking this up, I said to myself that the name does not sound right although that is what I myself originally said.

And sure enough it is actually 3 wood. The fact your not overly enamoured with the Bush 16 and on reading about the Auchentoshan being finished in Oloroso & then PX casks not matured it is possibly not what you are looking for.

However what I did see on the Whisky exchange site was Auchentoshan Heartwood which actually has bourbon and oloroso sherry cask whisky as opposed to bourbon finished in the sherry casks. And @ £47.95 for a 1L bottle better value than the 3 Wood.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby BarryAzza » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:43 pm

I saw in the airport have a sherried whiskey (NAS), it was €88 a bottle. Its part of the steamship collection they are bringing out.
BarryAzza
New Spirit

Postby IainB » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:00 pm

BarryAzza wrote:I saw in the airport have a sherried whiskey (NAS), it was €88 a bottle. Its part of the steamship collection they are bringing out.

Interesting - what type / brand was it can you recall?
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IainB » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:35 pm

And a quick search answers my own question - it's a Bushmills single malt.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:02 pm

I've had a few Bushmills Single Cask Sherry cask whiskies .... any I've had have been Superb
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:29 pm

I agree in terms of the Bushmills own bottling sherry casks I've tried over the years. That said, I've had a sherry bushmills over the years under other brand names I haven't been mad on.
IainB
Hogshead

Return to Whiskey