NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

the whiskey glass

Let's talk whiskey.

the whiskey glass

Postby mawhinney » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:24 pm

To-day I wish to speak of the whiskey glass - the glass we use to enjoy our whiskey. I have been using the Glencairn thistle-shaped glass, but recently I had cause to use another type and - bingo! - it was an epiphany moment. This was it!
The glass was,in essence, a narrow tumbler type: 55mm in diameter,110mm high of which 30mm was the base and 80 mm the "container". This gave a great weight and solidity to what held the sovereigne liquor, and brought home to me that the experience of drinking whiskey is not just one of nose and taste. There is a strong tactile dimension as well, one that hitherto has not been given due consideration:it's just great having that solid weight in your hand.
Thinking further about this I recalled, of course, that the wide tumbler has been the traditional glass for drinking whiskey. But while it provided the comforting weight, it was too wide ( to accommodate water, ice and other pollutants) and allowed the nose to dissipate. But the narrow tumbler preserves the nose and gives that weight in the hand.
Your thoughts on this neglected topic would be most welcome.
mawhinney
Quarter Cask

Re: the whiskey glass

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:26 am

Firstly welcome to the forum and thanks for posting. You have raised a very interesting topic. We have not really discussed glasses that much.

A glass is a powerful instrument in appreciating whiskey and the great thing (like whiskey) is that it can be and is a very personal choice.

I really like the glencairn as an every day glass but I have stemless wine glasses which probably can hold close to 50cl and they are excellent for nosing ... they are deep and concave they real accentuate aroma.

I am intrigued about your description on the narrow tumbler. Sounds very interesting any chance you can post a picture?

I had lately come across the explanation of the tumbler ...and I was fascinated by the reasoning behind the design.

Basically it has been designed as a glass for a chair side table the heavy base is so that you don't knock over the glass as you reach wile not paying too much attention and polishing a few more than you intended to after dinner ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby mawhinney » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:36 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I haven't the technical know-how to forward you a picture of my glass, but I could bring it along on Thurs evening and you could try it for real. I will gladly supply the content!
mawhinney
Quarter Cask

Postby DavidH » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:40 pm

I'm with mawhinney on this. I'll use the Glencairn for formal tasting but I definitely don't enjoy using it. Instead, I have small, heavy glasses that are larger than shot glasses but still wouldn't take ice cubes. 70mm wide and 72mm high. Here's a photo - I think it's exactly the same one.

As you say, it's partly a tactile thing. It fits perfectly in the hand, feels solid and is a lot more manly than a Glencairn. I don't think the aroma of the whiskey is lost either.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:06 pm

Here is a selection of some of the Glasses I have.

I use the Glencairn (No.8) the most these days but I also like No. 7 & 9 for just a relaxing whiskey at home and depending on mood. No. 9 is to me is nearly like a 'Traditional Irish' pub whiskey glass but I'm sure we don't have the exclusivity on it.

No 1 is possibly similar to the one your talking about David.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:55 pm

My favourite is the Jmaeson nosing glass they used to sell at Midleton and Dublin. It's more or less the standard nosing glass, similar to no.11 on IWC's picture with little measurings on the side, each one being the standard engligh measure of 25ml. I once had 4, but now I'm down to one so I rarely use it as they don't sell them anymore. These days it's usually a glencairn or one of the whisky exchange's nosing glasses, similar to 10 above.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:45 pm

I drink my straight from the bottle.

Actually, I have a few Glenfarclas glasses that were been given away in a Dublin whiskey shop, a Celtic one. I like them. The closest thing to them is No. 7. And I have on I picked up at the Munich Whiskey Festival, a bit like No.10.

I don't like drinking out of glasses that are too fancy. It's like getting one of the proper glasses for the Weissbier. It just looks odd in Ireland.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:48 pm

IWC's picture is a handy template for describing what various glasses are like.

I know what you mean about fancy glasses not looking right but, to be honest, what we do in the privacy of our own homes is fine!
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IainB » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:51 pm

As an editor John you could, of course, point out the the phrase "to be honest" adds absolutely nothing to that last sentance.

Then again, the phrase "of course" and the word "absolutely"add nothing to the above sentance.

On top of that the phrase "then again" is meaningless in the context of the most recent sentance.

I'll stop now.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:54 pm

All these words have their uses. Until we find a way to communicate through semaphore online, we should stick to the words.

"Of course" is useful, because it removes the assumption that those reading a sentence don't know the information it contains.

"Absolutely" differentiates between something that can be taken as nothing and something that actually is nothing, so it's the same nothing for everyone.

"Then again" suggests a counterpoint between two thoughts.

I vote that these phrases be kept in. They also fill up the sentences.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:55 am

Thanks for thay, i feel vindicated.

Looking at IWC's glasses again I've a couple more comments:

No.5 - The square(ish) one. They serve whiskey in these in Ahearne's in Youghal. Lovely place, great food, but I'm not sure about square glasses. I'm quite clumsy at the best of times and I find these can result in some slight spillage. Not great when, as I've done there on occasion, you're drinking Dungourney.

No.4 - Don't like those at all at all. Too fussy.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby mawhinney » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:52 pm

Many thanks for all the enlightened comments on the topic of the whiskey glass. We should give as much thought to the type of glass we use as we would to other aspects of whiskey - barrels, finishes, and so on.
The more I think about the Glencairn glass the less happy I am: it's too tight and a bit pretentious and not what I would not now use to enjoy a whiskey. A friend Jos[Josiah] says that subliminally I am reacting against the Scottish thistle shape! He has urged me to try the Dartington "Snifter" - 115mm tall,75mm across the top but narrowing, then widening and then narrowing again to a heavy base (the solid "tumbler" factor coming into play). With this width you can get your nose - a bit - into the glass and thereby enjoy the nose and the taste simultaneously. Just like brandy in a brandy glass except that the latter is too light and ethereal for whiskey. The Snifter is heavier and earthier, appropriate to the origins and character of whiskey.
I tested the Snifter glass - several times. And the man is right!
mawhinney
Quarter Cask

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:32 am

I routinely use Glencairns and other tulip shaped glasses and copitas. David and I will now go outside and discuss how manly they are. :twisted:

Seriously though I do think if you want to get a proper nosing then it really helps if the top of the glass is narrower than its body. However if you are out for a drink with the focus on drink then I'm not sure the vessel is very important at all.
It's better to have drunk it all, than never to have drunk at all.
Willie JJ
Quarter Cask

Postby DavidH » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:13 am

Willie JJ wrote:David and I will now go outside and discuss how manly they are.

Can I bring IWC with me?

I can apply an iron grip to my favourite glass. The Glencairn demands a bit more care and does not fit so well in my hand anyway.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:29 pm

Okay I'll be ref ;)

I just found I got used to the Glencairn very easily. Not sure if I'd like to use one in a pub in a social context but I have always hated the big wide whiskey tumblers with heavy base. But as long as there is whiskey in it I don't think I'd refuse any glass especially if it's free :P
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:34 am

Just perusing the Powers website and the glass that is pictured beside the Powers 12yo caught my eye ...

It's like a modern twist on the old traditional whiskey glass (Like No 9 above)

Anybody know where to get one ????

I could see myself using one of those as my regular glass ...

Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Malt-Teaser » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:58 am

Not too long ago I also looked at the question of glasses and ran my own little study.

The top three were:
1. Classic Malt
2. Glencairn
3. Spiegelau

Sorry, I won't recount the full analysis here, but you can find it .....
http://www.whisky-emporium.com/UK/Features/WhichGlass.htm
Malt-Teaser
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:03 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Not too long ago I also looked at the question of glasses and ran my own little study.

The top three were:
1. Classic Malt
2. Glencairn
3. Spiegelau

Sorry, I won't recount the full analysis here, but you can find it .....
http://www.whisky-emporium.com/UK/Features/WhichGlass.htm

Hi Keith and I remember reading your thoughts before ... think I would agree with you on 1 & 2 as the best for nosing but can't comment on 3 as I've never used one.

However the advertised glass with Powers 12yo would be used as a glass just to enjoy whiskey by the fire. You know yourself a day when all you want to do is enjoy a drop and not disect it.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Malt-Teaser » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Adrian,
I agree that some days one just wants to sit and enjoy a whisk(e)y, in which case the glass is pretty well secondary, as no shape affects drinking, only nosing, although at this point the 'feel' of it in the hand also comes into play.
Malt-Teaser
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:44 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Adrian,
I agree that some days one just wants to sit and enjoy a whisk(e)y, in which case the glass is pretty well secondary, as no shape affects drinking, only nosing, although at this point the 'feel' of it in the hand also comes into play.

Deffinitely ... but that is why I'm looking for the above as I think it will suit me ... I totally detest those wide round tumblers :thumbsdown:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby waver929 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:17 pm

Have you ever heard of the Riedel tasting glas: :thumbsup:

This is my favorite when i'm tasting a new whisky. In the bottom of the glas you can pour 2cl of whisky and wen you put the Glas on the side and roll it the liquid covers the whole wall of the glas. Do this just a few times and you will have a great nosing experience!
waver929
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:41 pm

Looks nice and a very interesting concept, would not mind trying that ... however would it be real light glass in the tulip area ... My problem with the likes of Riedel is that they are so fine that they break easily. And that 2cl area looks like it could be tough to clean especially if you left it over night.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:35 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Just perusing the Powers website and the glass that is pictured beside the Powers 12yo caught my eye ...

According to the Sunday Business Post today, famed Dutch still-life photographer, Marcel Christ, was hired to shoot pics of 5 different glasses holding Powers. The light effects are authentic, rather than digitally created.

Nice idea, I think. Works for me more than the current Jameson ads (which, to be fair, are probably aimed at people younger than me).
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby Nuno » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:53 pm

Hi All,
been to Dublin a while back and tried the pub whisky glasses n9,
which loved for the informal, as said before, and unpretentious shape for the ocasion,
trying to find the name to the glass to get some for the house to compete with the glencairn and port glasses!!
but cant find it anywhere, can someone point me a name or a shop where i can find them?
Thanks and keep discussing!
Nuno
New Spirit

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:26 pm

They are called Ciao Whiskey glass.
Here's a link but to a wholesaler. I'm sure they're not too hard to track down.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Next

Return to Whiskey