NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Green spot 10 yr old whiskey

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Green spot 10 yr old whiskey

Postby Plentyofice » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:03 am

Hi
Old old bottle. I'm guessing 60-70 yrs but no expert whatsoever. Slight evaporation over time and cork was leaking hence I put candle wax on top to seal. Any ideas ? Thank you
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (25.16 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Plentyofice
New Spirit

Re: Green spot 10 yr old whiskey

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:21 am

Hopefully the wax has not detracted from it ...

Can you show us a picture of the cork, is it screw cap or cork etc. Could be quite valuable if all correct.

It could as easily be from the 70's but that will not really detract from the value.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Plentyofice » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:14 pm

Hi
Please find the top of the bottle picture. It's a cork in it not screw cap. As I said it was evaporating/leaking so I put candle wax on top .

Thanks
Attachments
green spot.jpg
green spot.jpg (95.56 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Plentyofice
New Spirit

Postby John » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi Plentyofice,
The fact that the seal is broken and has been covered in wax might well seriously detract from the value I would imagine as there is no way of determining that the liquid inside has not been adulterated. Also, you mention that that the bottle was stored in a garage - do you know what temperatures and general conditions the bottle would have been exposed to over that period of time?
Thanks,
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby Plentyofice » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi John

It was in a lock up area which is an extension of the house for about 30 years so I'd say normal room temps there. Then my kitchen for almost 20 years same as. And it got moved to the garage for the last 2-3 years .

Hope this helps

Thanks again
Plentyofice
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:53 pm

yes, unfortunately as John has already said without the foil seal that should have been attached it will greatly detract from value. Had it been in tact you could have had a €1000 + bottle on your hands but without the seal it cannot really be authenticated.

Best bet is remove the wax off the top and take it to the Celtic Whiskey Shop and see what they make of if as any buyer would really need to see this in person to give it a good inspection as anything with out a seal is usually viewed with suspicion not matter how authentic the bottle may be. Just an unfortunate situation in your case.

Probably some one would buy it for drinking and take a punt on €100 (Just speculation on my half with the price) as the collectablity is not really there in this case.

Sorry if I am bearer of bad news.

You could also take it to Mitchells and see what they say. if they are happy you may get a few hundred for it
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Plentyofice » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:16 pm

Thanks for your responses . Appreciate it
Plentyofice
New Spirit

Return to Collectors Corner