NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Fitzgerald's Pot Still Whiskey

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Fitzgerald's Pot Still Whiskey

Postby uisce beatha » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:09 pm

Found an old bottle of whiskey up in the attic of the Grannys' house in Cork. Still sealed. The Label says 'Fitzgeralds' 'Pure Pot Still Whiskey' , 'Gold Seal', 'Guaranteed 10 Years Old'. Made in Dublin by Fitzgerald & Co Ltd Dublin. Ive looked up the name and cannot find anything about this..Does anyone know this Whiskey. How would I go about ageing or valuing it ..Thanks for your help.
uisce beatha
New Spirit

Re: Fitzgerald's Pot Still Whiskey

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:35 pm

Can you post a photo and is there anything else on the label about abv/proof.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby mawhinney » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:15 pm

uisce beatha wrote:Found an old bottle of whiskey up in the attic of the Grannys' house in Cork. Still sealed. The Label says 'Fitzgeralds' 'Pure Pot Still Whiskey' , 'Gold Seal', 'Guaranteed 10 Years Old'. Made in Dublin by Fitzgerald & Co Ltd Dublin. Ive looked up the name and cannot find anything about this..Does anyone know this Whiskey. How would I go about ageing or valuing it ..Thanks for your help.

I have a billhead, dated 1901,of Fitzgerald &Co Rectifying Distillers of 91,92 &93 Middle Abbey Street.
They also describe themselves as Tea,Wine and Whiskey Merchants and Shippers.
The engraved billhead contains two illustrations of their premises, an exterior and an interior view.
I hope that this of some help.
mawhinney
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:17 am

mawhinney wrote:
uisce beatha wrote:Found an old bottle of whiskey up in the attic of the Grannys' house in Cork. Still sealed. The Label says 'Fitzgeralds' 'Pure Pot Still Whiskey' , 'Gold Seal', 'Guaranteed 10 Years Old'. Made in Dublin by Fitzgerald & Co Ltd Dublin. Ive looked up the name and cannot find anything about this..Does anyone know this Whiskey. How would I go about ageing or valuing it ..Thanks for your help.

I have a billhead, dated 1901,of Fitzgerald &Co Rectifying Distillers of 91,92 &93 Middle Abbey Street.
They also describe themselves as Tea,Wine and Whiskey Merchants and Shippers.
The engraved billhead contains two illustrations of their premises, an exterior and an interior view.
I hope that this of some help.

Rectifying Distillers would indicate that they did not distill Whiskey but more pure alcohol for household / medical use. And as they were a wine merchants would lead me to believe that they bottle one of the local Dublin Whiskey's at the time. Dating the bottle would be interesting and unless we can figure that out it will be nigh impossible and even if we can it will be very hard to figure out what distillery it came from.

Sounds very interesting though.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Mayoman » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:59 am

Uisce beatha may be interested to know that the owner of Fitzgerald & Co Ltd was a prominent Dublin businessman and politician named Martin Fitzgerald who was born in my home town of Charlestown, Co. Mayo in 1867. He was the last owner of The Freeman's Journal which he purchased in 1919 and which became the unofficial organ of the Irish Free State government. The paper was subsumed into the Irish Independent in 1925. Fitzgerald was appointed as an independent Senator in the inaugural Seanad Eireann from 1922-1927, the year he died. He was also a well-know racehorse owner.
Mayoman
New Spirit

Return to Collectors Corner