NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Tullamore Distillery Night

Everything Irish Whiskey Society related.

Tullamore Distillery Night

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Tullamore D.E.W., the new distillery & Irish Whiskey in the US

There will be aTullamore night with Tim Herlihy on the 2nd Oct. He will be telling us about the new distillery and how the brand is going in the States.

It should be a very informative night and good whiskey will be consumed, responsibly.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Re: Tullamore Distillery Night

Postby John » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:40 pm

Can you share the tasting line-up GWH?
Thanks,
J.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:59 pm

John wrote:Can you share the tasting line-up GWH?
Thanks,
J.

If I can make it up I will indeed John. If I can't make it I'll try get the line up from one of the others. I must get Augusts line up, I missed that tasting too.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:03 pm

Ha, I wouldn't put it past you! :D
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby paddy1 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi all

Will get back to ye in a few days on this
paddy1
New Spirit

Postby paddy1 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:39 pm

Hi all

Confirmed a new, limited addition whiskey from Tullamore D.E.W. will be sampled on the night of 2nd Oct in Dublin.

It is a special celebration batch released at the distillery launch. Will be available in select stores.

It bears the name of John Quinn, the global brand ambassador of Tullamore D.E.W.

John has worked hard to rebuild the brand over many years.

Some of you may already know him from past events. He is a good friend of the society.

Will not say anymore, as we would like it to be a surprise on the night.

However if your curious and can`t wait, there is info. on it online.
paddy1
New Spirit

Postby John » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi Paddy,
What's the difference between the celebration release and the 'regular' small batch equivalent?
Thanks,
John.
John
Hogshead

Postby paddy1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:34 am

Hi John

Secrets out, we will be tasting them side by side on the 2nd Oct. You will notice the difference. Will be explained on the night.

David has a write up on the new bottling on his liquid irish blog or visit http://www.tullamoredew.com/our-new-distillery for some info. on it.

There will also be a whiskey only available in Tullamore, one that is not available in the Irish market, an award winning 12 year old and of course there is no secret on the last one - you can`t have a Tullamore D.E.W. tasting without the Tullamore D.E.W. original. So 6 in total

Can you guess them?? I bet you can`t get them all :D :D :D :D

A welcome cocktail will be provided.

There will be a Tullamore D.E.W. gift for all that attend.

Thats the lineup and you already know that Tim will talk about whiskey in the U.S.A. and Jane will talk about the new distillery.

I think thats great value at the discounted price - €15 to €10 for members and €25 to €15 for non members.

Hope you can all attend
paddy1
New Spirit

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:58 am

What was the lineup on the night? Any feedback about new ranges or reintroducing pot stills whiskeys to the range?
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby paddy1 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:21 pm

First of all thank you to everyone that attended. Hope you had a great night.

The full range tasted, together with some notes is now on the website. (see the events section)

Whiskies were Tullamore D.E.W. original, Tullamore D.E.W. 12 year old reserve, Tullamore D.E.W. old bonded warehouse, Tullamore D.E.W. 14 year old Single Malt, Tullamore D.E.W. Phoenix and Tullamore D.E.W. Phoenix Celebratory. Excellent whiskies enjoyed by all. If you are interested the cocktail was Apple D.E.W. and the gift was a Tullamore D.E.W. flat cap or a Tullamore D.E.W. hip flask.

Due to unforseen circumstances, John Quinn took the place of the 2 ambassadors advertised. Most of you already know John, he is the global brand ambassador with Tullamore D.E.W. He has been with the company for many years and has a huge amount of knowledge and experience. It was great to have him host.

He shared slides of the new distillery in the various construction stages and on the opening day. He answered everyones questions.

At the moment the main goal is to produce exactly the same product that exists. It is a difficult task, but we are told it can be done. They will produce malt and pot still at the new distillery, with plans for grain whiskey in further expansion.

The Phoenix and Phoenix Celebratory were voted joint first on the night. Both have high potstill content and were 55% abv.They are limited releases. As production ramps up and Tullamore D.E.W. have control over the production, we hope to see an increase in the offerings available from them.

The future looks great for the brand and we wish them every success.

You can see two excellent blogs at liquid irish - one about the Phoenix Celeb. bottling and one about the new distillery. Although the blogs were written before the night, they cover a lot of the information we got from John Quinn.

Hope this helps. Sure let us know if you would like some more information.
paddy1
New Spirit

Postby DavidH » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:23 am

Ken, thank you so much for the Tullamore tasting night. I really enjoyed it, as did the rest of my table. Some really good whiskeys in there too.

Thanks for mentioning the articles on my site too. I hope you don't mind, I put a couple of links under the text so people don't have to hunt for them.

Did anyone go looking for the Phoenix Celebratory Exclusive afterwards? I looked for it in the CWS but only saw the original Phoenix. They said it was in stock though, at €118, quite a bit more than I was expecting.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:04 am

Hi David,

I saw it this week in the Irish Whiskey Collection in Dublin Airport for around €85. It was available from both T1 & T2.
You would need a keen eye to spot the difference between the packaging on the Single Batch vs the regular Phoenix.

I see there was a tie between these two at the tasting. Were they noticeably different?

Interested in people's comparisons,

Cheers TWB
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:13 am

TheWhiskeyBro wrote:I saw it this week in the Irish Whiskey Collection in Dublin Airport for around €85.

That's about what I was expecting.

You would need a keen eye to spot the difference between the packaging on the Single Batch vs the regular Phoenix.

You would, but I have a bottle of the new one so I knew what to look for and what they showed me in CWS definitely wasn't it.

I see there was a tie between these two at the tasting. Were they noticeably different?

They were. I had a definite preference for the new one but I can't recall the specifics now. Certainly more oak on the Celebratory but not excessive.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby paddy1 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:04 pm

Hi David,

Delighted to hear that you and your table enjoyed the night and the whiskies. A lot of effort went into the organisation of it, so its great to get some positive feedback.

Thank you so much for supporting the event. It was much appreciated. I did not get to talk to you and anyone else at that table on the night unfortunately. The night went so quick, ye were all gone before I got a chance to.

I would also personally like to thank all at Tullamore D.E.W., the I.W.S. committee, the D.I.T., the Guild of Sommeliers and everyone else for making it such an enjoyable night.

Regarding your links, I have no problem with that. I would have added the links myself, but I was not 100% on how to. I have always read Liquid Irish, it is excellent! This is why I personally have no problem recommending it to others to read.

Regarding the Phoenix Celeb. - I spoke to the Tullamore D.E.W. visitors centre today. It is selling fast. As of 4.30 today they had 10 bottles in stock. The cost at the visitors centre is €90.00.

All the best

Ken

Ken
paddy1
New Spirit

Return to Society