NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Teeling Whiskey Blend (Rum Cask)

Teeling Whiskey Blend (Rum Cask)

Postby Distiller » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:32 am

So...

I know that it has only hit the shelf in the last few weeks. For those of you who have tried it. What do you think of the Teeling Whiskey Co. Blend?

I would add my two cents but I wanted to hear what anyone who has tried it thought? It is in the Place Bar, Long Hall, Stags Head, and several other good whiskey pubs around Dublin if you want to try before you buy.

If you have not seen it this is what it looks like:
Attachments
2540_Teeling_Whiskey_02 (Small)- Copy (462x640).jpg
2540_Teeling_Whiskey_02 (Small)- Copy (462x640).jpg (210.66 KiB) Viewed 81 times
Distiller
Quarter Cask

Re: Teeling Whiskey Blend (Rum Cask)

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:52 pm

Only have this open so have not had a lot of time with it yet.

Initial thoughts...

Nose: after pouring, a whiff of sweet felt tip coloring pen. Then left for 20mins to stand (well i was surfing) Nose again ... I initially got some deep ripe apricot/peach. Also a good dollup of vanilla, cotton candy and salt !?!? There also seems to be a bit of moist warm earth ...dunnage ???? Tiny hint of wine vinegar(shaohsing rice wine even) However there seems to be sharp but muted citrus lemon notes in there also / oiled iron and also a bit spirity. Which makes it sweet and dry on the nose ... Unusual and complex.

Taste: sweet almond (not quite marzipan) and a rich pale soft fruit element, possibly wild cherry too. A woody spice bite on the sides of the tongue, white pepper and a vague buttery under current but not for long.

Finish: the woody spice continues and a bit of sweet and bitter (lemon rind). Drying into a gin style finish. Finish seems quite long.

Over all impression to sum up Sweet and Bitter.

Not being a rum fan I'm not too sure what the rum finish does to this but in small ways this remind of the Bushmills Rum cask on the dryness. possibly a bit too much dry and bitter going on In this for me but only first pass so will reserve judgement as this really never warmed up so possibly getting more sharp notes than the rounded ones.

What I can say is that it is quite different to most Irish whiskers on the market currently and for that reason is very interesting.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Teeling Whiskey Company