NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

What are you having yourself?

Let's talk whiskey.

Re: What are you having yourself?

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:53 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:1 hrs 30 mins to get the 2 nippers asleep ... Hence a large Powers JL 12yo ... Ahhhh that fits the bill nicely even if it is a school night.

Had you nothing cheaper to waste on them.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Joel1802 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:11 am

Good Whiskey Hunting wrote:
IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:1 hrs 30 mins to get the 2 nippers asleep ... Hence a large Powers JL 12yo ... Ahhhh that fits the bill nicely even if it is a school night.

Had you nothing cheaper to waste on them.

We must give our children the very best! We want them to have a good start.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby bredman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:55 am

Maltage Komagatake Pure Malt 10 40%.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Pudge72 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Last Saturday, I did a side by side of my (very limited) Japanese collection...aka Nikka Yoichi 10 yo (from 180 mL mini bottle) vs. the Yamazaki 18 yo (750 ml bottle from the US). It was not a fair fight. While the Yoichi had some really nice notes, the spirity notes that I (rightly or wrongly) attribute to the younger age of the bottling (and also possibly from it being a mini-bottle) kind of took over the palate. I would love to try the 15 yo at some point!

The Yamazaki 18 is luxurious with deep sherry based notes being balanced out by brighter, floral based notes (which I believe come from the Mizunara Oak casks that are part of the 'three cask' (sherry, bourbon, mizunara) approach to this bottling. It is well balanced and very complex. Both bottles have variations of the floral profile, which has been unique, for me at least, to the Japanese bottlings that I have tried.

I will be part of an epic tasting tomorrow afternoon/evening with friends that I have met through the Connosr website. Six of us are getting together with over 25 samples to be poured (I will likely be trying around 12 - 15 as I will not be sampling from my own bottles...it's all about pacing/palate preservation, right?). Among other things, I will be bringing my Writer's Tears bottle, and sample vials of Redbreast 12 that will contribute to a side-by-side with the 12 CS that someone else is bringing. Really looking forward to what should be a great time and wonderful whisk(e)y experience!
The wishlist is always growing...
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Tennessee Dave » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Redbreast 12, my favorite Irish, to celebrate the day!
"The music of angling is more compelling to me than anything contrived in the greatest symphony hall."
-A.J. McClane "
"Song of the Angler" [(1967)
Tennessee Dave
New Spirit

Postby Pudge72 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:39 pm

On Saturday night, while out at dinner, I started to 'pre-celebrate' St. Patrick's Day with pints of Caffrey's and Guinness.

Later that evening, I finished my bottle of Black Bush. This bottle was very interesting all the way to the end...the final 2 oz pour presented the grain whiskey side of the blend very nicely, in a sweet manner, suggesting to my novice palate that the sherry character of the malt had integrated very nicely. A definite repeat purchase in the future, at only Can$37 in Ontario. The bottle lasted approximately 21 months (not for lack of enjoyment...I just nurse the hell out of them so they last!). I followed that up with a pour of Writer's Tears. A well loved bottle that is about a 1/3 empty after only being open for one month!!

Yesterday was a Kilkenny day for me.
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:41 am

After finishing off a few dregs of Tullamore, Devils cut and Kilbeggan and decided to finish off my final bottle of Jameson Select Reserve. I'm not enjoying it as much as I used to, but I'll persevere.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Joel1802 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:32 am

Poitin. The real stuff that the excise never knew about. A friend gave me a bit of some he got in Ireland many years ago. Reminds me of the stuff I had in my youth in Nova Scotia. We'll see if I can still see in the morning. ;)
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Raven » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:42 pm

Poitin --- well there is good stuff and bad stuff. The bad stuff you give to your enemy
so that he goes blind --- the good stuff you drink yourself. Growing up my Grandfather was the
local Spirit Merchant ( Poitin that is ). Did quite a good trade as I recall !! The consignment
arrived in metal milk churns from West Cork to East Cork where it was bottled in old Paddy or
Power's bottles. (The best Poitin comes from West Cork it is generally agreed). Farmers always
bought quite a bit of it for dosing cattle based on the kill or cure principle :!:
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Postby bredman » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:10 am

For the last couple nights i've been enjoying this one. Made at a sake brewery. For some reason, no one is sure why, over 20 years ago they decided to distill some malted barley. It was then aged for 20 years and bottled at 59%. Even in Japan hardly anyone knows anything about it or even heard about it. But here it is now, in what i consider to be groovy packaging, and it tastes quite wonderful. Lightly peated and excellently well made. If anyone gets the chance, this is worth a purchase. :D

Wakatsuru Shuzou, Sun Shine 20yo Single Malt Whisky 59%.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:19 am

I'm having a Brandy tonight in memory of a friend who died needlessly earlier today. He was fond of the stuff to spite my attempts to get him to drink Whiskey. R.I.P PW
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Joel1802 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:06 am

Good Whiskey Hunting wrote:I'm having a Brandy tonight in memory of a friend who died needlessly earlier today. He was fond of the stuff to spite my attempts to get him to drink Whiskey. R.I.P PW

My condolences and prayer.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:03 am

Thursday night so basically the week end ;-)

Started with. Locke's Grand Crew cask 696 ... Have not had this in a long while ..

All I can say is "fruit bomb" very nice but certainly a whiskey for only when I'm ready fir this style ...

Now on a bourbon cask, sing cask, HighLand Park. Not an atypical HP but not bad all the same.

Strangely 2 whiskeys that have worked well with an Irish craft beer I am also suppin.

8 degrees, Howling Gale Ale.

Sláinte
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Fionnán » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:16 am

sincerest sincerest condolences Willie.
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:11 pm

Good Whiskey Hunting wrote:I'm having a Brandy tonight in memory of a friend who died needlessly earlier today. He was fond of the stuff to spite my attempts to get him to drink Whiskey. R.I.P PW

Sorry Willie missed this ... always brings things into perspective.

My Condolences ...
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:53 pm

bredman wrote:Maltage Komagatake Pure Malt 10 40%.

The 3+25 just won the world blended malt of the year award at the World Whisky Awards... I'll have to open a bottle.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Joel1802 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:42 am

Poitin. Takes me back to the stuff I used to get in Cape Breton. This about sums it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e5APwJfE0Q :D
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Pudge72 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:45 pm

One week ago yesterday, I was very fortunate to attend a 'mega-tasting' with several friends that I have met through the Connosr forum. Everyone (plus one not in attendance) contributed some excellent bottles/samples. In order, until the time I left many hours later, we tried:

* Grand Old Parr 12
* Hazelburn 8
* (Tasmanian Distillery) Sullivan's Cove Double Cask
* Duncan Taylor Dimensions Glenlossie 11 (2000 - 2011) @ 46%

* Writer's Tears
* Redbreast 12
* Redbreast 12 CS
* Tomatin 15 Tempranillo Cask finish @ 52%

* Arran Robert Burns Single Malt
* Glenlivet 21 Archive
* Eagle Rare 17 (2010)
* Sazerac 18 (2011)

* William Larue Weller (2011, iirc)
* George T. Stagg (2011)
* Dillon's White Rye, Batch 1 (from a new distillery in Ontario)
* Willet Soppressata

* Yamazaki 18
* Glenmorangie 18
* Glen Garioch 25 CS, Batch 11
* Talisker 57N

* Dun Bheagan Islay 8 (2002)
* Lagavulin Distiller's Edition (1989-2005)
* Longrow CV
* Smokehead

* SMWS 127.26 'Student Party Aftermath', Port Charlotte 9 (2002-2011, iirc)
* Port Charlotte An Turas Mor
* Connemara Turf Mor
* Corsair Quinoa

* Arran Sherry Cask (for the LCBO in Ontario, iirc)
* Pike Creek (Canadian) NAS
* Pike Creek 10
* Lot 40 Copper Pot Still Canadian Whisky

* Jefferson's Presidential Select 18, Batch 16
* more????

An excellent and very enjoyable session both for the bottles tried and, most importantly, the company of the people who were able to try them! :thumbsup:

On an Irish note...the Writer's Tears was thoroughly enjoyed and seen as a 'session' whiskey that could easily disappear in one sitting. The Turf Mor made a big impression...lots of farmy notes (though no dung, as I have read in multiple places) with a slight diesel note picked up in the background by myself and the only female in the tasting group. I thought it worked well with majority of the profile. A definite bottle buy for me in the future.

What is the experience of others as it pertains to the flavour development for an open bottle of Redbreast 12? I have had mine open for one year, and the three most recent tastings of it that I have had seem flat to me. The 12 CS was a nice step up that I hope makes it to Ontario at some point.
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby bredman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:15 am

JohnM wrote:
bredman wrote:Maltage Komagatake Pure Malt 10 40%.

The 3+25 just won the world blended malt of the year award at the World Whisky Awards... I'll have to open a bottle.

Yes i noticed that John, Brian is pestering me to open one of mine. He's been championing it for some time now. I need an occasion for this one though :D . John, this 10yo is quite nice, not a world beater but interesting for the money, i'd say the Japan to Europe shipping is pushing the value-for-money a bit, but if you ever need a parcel filler it's a tasty whisky.

Pete
bredman
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:51 pm

Some Booker Noes. I can't get enough of this. Sadly I can't actually get enough.
I hope we'll have similar ones for the American tasting in May.

Looking forward to tomorrow's Redbreast tasting.
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Joel1802 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:11 am

Redbreast tasting? I wasn't invited! Damn it I need a Concorde!!!!!!
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Joel1802 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:57 am

How was the Redbreast tasting? I had to make do with Alberta Premium "Dark Horse" Rye whisky. I'm not generally a fan of Canadian whisky, but this one is Bloody good. 45% too.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Pudge72 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:16 am

Joel1802 wrote:How was the Redbreast tasting? I had to make do with Alberta Premium "Dark Horse" Rye whisky. I'm not generally a fan of Canadian whisky, but this one is Bloody good. 45% too.

If you want to know what Canadian Rye whisky SHOULD taste like (i.e. 100% rye, not the CC/CR/Gibson's/Wiser's, etc. mixer material that only has a smattering of rye in the bottle) I would heartily recommend Lot 40 @ 43%, which came out in Ontario this past fall (November, iirc). Awesome stuff. I just opened my bottle, and will be picking up another one before this batch sells out. It would be awesome if a batch of Lot 40 was issued at cask strength.
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Pudge72 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:21 am

Good Whiskey Hunting wrote:Some Booker Noes. I can't get enough of this. Sadly I can't actually get enough.
I hope we'll have similar ones for the American tasting in May.

Looking forward to tomorrow's Redbreast tasting.

Are you referring to Booker's Small Batch (cask strength @ +/- 63% , in batches that are 6 - 8 years old, wine-style bottle with a hand written label and wax sealed cap?), or is it a different bottling?
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Pudge72 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:37 am

Edited for clarity:

Last night, the local pub held an Irish whiskey tasting that included:

- Writer's Tears (at my suggestion! woo hoo!)
- Greenore 8
- Connemara Cask Strength

The WT was well received...it is commonly regarded by people that I have been around who have tried it as an good to excellent sipping whiskey. Very enjoyable, but not too complex so you don't have to think about it too much if you don't want to. A slight faux pas at the tasting, involving the serving of the whiskey in a tumbler, actually led to a first time discovery for me on the nose...a wonderful pear note, which I had never noticed before, that included an undercurrent of green apple peel. This bottle keeps getting better.

The Greenore had nice sweet notes of spun sugar/cotton candy that transferred to the palate nicely. I did find the finish to be more harsh (some alcohol bite) than the WT. My friend who was at the tasting with me felt the opposite about the finish. The Greenore was his favourite of the three (he's not much of a peat fan).

The Connemara was awesome...a very 'farmy' version of peat (not sweet, not too vegetal either, like I have found Bowmore 12 to be). We did find that the nose went from farmy peat, to sweeter notes (after about 10 minutes in the glass), and back to the farmy peatiness (after 20 minutes). Confirmed for me as a future purchase at some point (though the Turf Mor will likely have priority as the Cask Strength has been brought in to Ontario on multiple occasions).
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

PreviousNext

Return to Whiskey