NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Royal Irish Distillery - Dunville's Special Liqueur Whisky

Closed Distilleries Whiskey tasting notes

Royal Irish Distillery - Dunville's Special Liqueur Whisky

Postby Joel1802 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:31 am

aka "Three Crowns"
70 proof
This bottle probably from the 1930s

Colour: deep gold

Nose: big sherry, kerosene, turps, grist, flour, paint, sweet, maple syrup

Body: slow to bead, slow moving legs, light in the mouth

Palate: big sherry, kerosene, turps, herbicide, bitter chocolate, floral, maple, grist, metallic, cotton candy,

Finish: turps, sherry, bitter, herbicide, sherry flavours quite short

At first I thought this was a blend that included some grain whisky, but I am having my doubts. There are a number of possibilities the two most likely are a small amount of grain or pps and malt. I need another old pps to compare this to...

Preliminary score 88 (more to follow)
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Re: Royal Irish Distillery - Dunville's Special Liqueur Whis

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Dunville's distilled PPS, single malt and grain and it was thought that they MAY have used all 3 in some of their blends. Also it is unclear whether they actually ever did single malt or SPS on it's own.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Joel1802 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:02 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Dunville's distilled PPS, single malt and grain and it was thought that they MAY have used all 3 in some of their blends. Also it is unclear whether they actually ever did single malt or SPS on it's own.

That's the problem, even if I come to the conclusion that there is no grain there is no way I could vouch for it not being a blend including both pps and malt. I can say the the pps is unmistakable and grain, if it is there, is elusive. Regardless it is a big sherried dram that tastes like more. I compare it to an old Bow St. or John's Lane in a few weeks and see if that helps me detect any grain in the mix. Great fun!
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Joel1802 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:17 pm

I tried it against a Power's Pot Still from the old John's Lane distillery. After comparison I believe it is a blend. Take this with a grain of salt but it seems to lead with the pot still on the nose and early palate the body points to malt whisky and the keel if you will seems to be grain. The grain is hard to detect, and seems to be a small proportion of the blend. The sherry encloses the package brilliantly. If modern blends were like this I'd be a blend drinker. Bloody good stuff. Final notes to follow, but the rating will go up.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:10 pm

Thanks for the notes Joel, often some knowledge of what the components may be, helps in identifying and/or distinguishing the constituent parts.

Well done, enjoy reading your descriptions of the rare bottlings...
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby Joel1802 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:02 am

Side by side with the VR it shows more pot still, age, and sherry. Moving it up to 90 points. I'd be happy to drink a bottle of either in one sitting. I'll bet their full of vitamins and anti-oxidants. :lol:
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Just as a heads up and it may or may not throw any light on anything but the "Special Liqueur" had a higher price than the VR which would indicate that at least the "Special Liqueur" was it's more premium brand.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Joel1802 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:19 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Just as a heads up and it may or may not throw any light on anything but the "Special Liqueur" had a higher price than the VR which would indicate that at least the "Special Liqueur" was it's more premium brand.

On an adver I have it is 7/- to the V.R.'s 6/6.
Joel1802
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Closed Distilleries