NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Gilbey's Redbreast

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Re: Gilbey's Redbreast

Postby DavidH » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:59 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:I did find that it had this dull sweetness with the musty PPS character that we talk about with the older Midleton PPS however I also found that there was a kind of orange flavoured children's medicine quality to it too which was not very appealing.

That's a pretty good description of what I had last night. Definitely got that orange syrupy thing and stale, musty aroma. Dull is a good word too. It just didn't sparkle.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:16 pm

Aye, the ten year old is also billed as a liqueur whiskey. Anyone want to hazard a guess what that might mean in a 1960s context?
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:01 pm

jcskinner wrote:Aye, the ten year old is also billed as a liqueur whiskey. Anyone want to hazard a guess what that might mean in a 1960s context?

It's just the way it was back then ... nearly all whiskey was labelled as such at one stage.

I have Blackbush Liqueur Whiskey and had a few Jameson Liqueur whiskies and have seen many more labelled as such including Scotch whisky.

SO no fear ... Just whiskey. :thumbsup:

BlackbushOldLiqueur.jpg
Blackbush Special Old Liqueur WHiskey
BlackbushOldLiqueur.jpg (45.15 KiB) Viewed 1947 times
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:02 pm

It used to just mean an older whiskey, but I'm not sure that this carried into the 1960s.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby jcskinner » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:24 pm

That was my understanding, John. I thought it was a vagye designator of age or quality.
Love the pic of the proto-BB, Adrian. I have one of those myself (early Seventies, I think?)
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Michael Foggarty » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:52 pm

The Bottle in the Bull and Castle has been open for 2 and half years, i know this becasue i opened it.

The first measure i had out of it was muck and i re tried about 3 weeks ago (hence the fact there is only half a shot left) and its still bloody muck no worse no better, exactly the same as when i opened it. The seal was good on the bottle (the bottle was bought from the shop and we dont buy/sell bottles with huge evaporation). So im looking forward to opening another bottle of it just to see if it was a dud.
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:21 pm

Obviously some of ye have no appreciation for a good muck so ;) :lol:

Probably the story of the last of the stock been used up so maybe closer to the truth.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby jcskinner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:01 am

Well, the society might wish to consider running a Redbreast special night at some point.
Might need to up the entry charge for that one a tad though.
jcskinner
Bourbon Barrel

Postby varizoltan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:31 am

it may be a night for next year
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby umkw40 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:55 am

I have the same bottle. Gilbey's Redbreast JJ and Sons 10 year. The bottle is in brand new condition, and the whisky inside appears to be very clean (nothing floating around inside). I am wondering what somebody would offer for this unopened bottle.
umkw40
New Spirit

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:59 am

umkw40 wrote:I have the same bottle. Gilbey's Redbreast JJ and Sons 10 year. The bottle is in brand new condition, and the whisky inside appears to be very clean (nothing floating around inside). I am wondering what somebody would offer for this unopened bottle.

Please contact me if your are still interested in selling this bottle, rgds TWB
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby rlarson3 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:54 am

Well how did it taste?
rlarson3
New Spirit

Previous

Return to Collectors Corner