NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Society Scotch Whisky Bottling - A Hair of an Idea...

Everything Irish Whiskey Society related.

Society Scotch Whisky Bottling - A Hair of an Idea...

Postby Luke Gough » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:50 am

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Should we, The Society, examine the possibility of selecting and acquiring our own bottling of a Scotch Whisky?

My reason for suggesting this now is that existing stocks of Scotch Whisky (for sane money) are running low due to worldwide demand (Great Recession how are ye! ;) )

If so, is there a preferred region/style/distillery :geek: and at what price per bottle? (Incl. VAT and Duty paid :roll: )

Thoughts and comments please!

:ugeek:
Luke Gough
Bourbon Barrel

Re: Society Scotch Whisky Bottling - A Hair of an Idea...

Postby DavidH » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:21 pm

Worth kicking around the idea, certainly.

For me, it depends what we would be forgoing on the Irish side. The society can contribute to the diversity and perception of Irish whiskey by releasing its own bottlings. If we don't do it, there is no guarantee that someone else will. A Scotch would be interesting to members but wouldn't have the same impact outside the society.

I suppose I'd like to see the Irish options laid out, alongside our budget. Comparing with some well-chosen Scotch options would be useful, I'm sure.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby MyIrishHome » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:47 pm

Maybe it's because I'm from Sweden but I don't really see the point with IWS making an own bottling of Scottish whisky. I rather see some work in trying to make an other Irish bottling. To increase the Irish variety, special if it may be done at a reasonable prices. Like last years bottling.
MyIrishHome
Quarter Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:45 pm

For me the society is about getting excellent value whiskey or in this case Whisky for it's members. So I'd be all for a scotch Whisky and think it would enhance the society. The problem with Irish whiskey is it is very hard to come by in cask form. So if we have nothing going this year we certainly should contemplate goink for a Scotch if we can ... What say you Committee people ;) :P
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby John » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:17 pm

I think it would be ironic that, given all the promising announcements re new Irish distilleries, if we went outside of the 32 counties for a cask now! I suppose we should bear in mind that we've only casked whiskeys from two Irish distilleries so far! :)
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:34 pm

John wrote: we've only casked whiskeys from two Irish distilleries so far! :)

we have it from 3

Cooley Grand/Premier Crew
IDL Pot still
Kilbeggan (under bond)

and some committee members working hard to get a bottling for this year ;)
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby Fionnán » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:28 am

i spoke briefly to Jim about this once before but if the soc ever wanted an american cask i could fish around for something (i know for a fact i could get Marko on board and there are a few other leads i could track down) but i also think we should work to get a nice base of casks from the new irish distilleries (Dingle, the Teelings, anyone who gets their act together soon)
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:09 pm

John wrote:I think it would be ironic that, given all the promising announcements re new Irish distilleries, if we went outside of the 32 counties for a cask now!

I too would like to see more from current (Bushmill's ahem...) Irish Distilleries and the new ones before we ventured outside.
If we were than perhaps an Hybrid ?

I would like to see an American before a Scottish whiskey given what I read recently about their Distilleries treatment of ours. Thanks to Fionnán directing me to a jcskinner post that perked my interest in this. Only kidding, the past is the past but it's very interesting all the same.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Return to Society