NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Baileys Irish Whiskey

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Baileys Irish Whiskey

Postby aggius1234 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:46 pm

I have a bottle of Baileys Irish Whiskey but nobody seems to know anything about it. The whiskey doesn't seem to be anything special as it is a blend but I am told they are rare ?
aggius1234
New Spirit

Re: Baileys irish whiskey

Postby JohnM » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:00 pm

It was a cheap enough whiskey when it was released. People drank it. It was taken off the market in a hurry. I've heard a few different explanations for this, but don't know which is true. Anyway, there were selling for huge money a few years ago, but have come back since. You can still get a good few bob for them, though.

I heard about painting barrels the whisky is matured in with Bailey's but am not sure if this is true. I had a taste, and it reminded me of Powers, but that was a long time ago. Not as good as Powers. I'm not an expert taster, however.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Raven » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:58 pm

It was test marketed in Dublin pubs exclusively ( but never released )-- The Temple Bar for instance was where I saw it
at the time. I got a bottle a few days before the scheduled release early 1998 through a friend after working the phone.
I had been given the release date and was told that there would be a lot in the press etc. but the day passed
and nothing......All sort of rumours abounded at the time and it is all a matter of conjecture. Stories of leaking
barrels, bad whiskey etc. etc. Wherever the truth lies nobody is talking but look logically if in the U.S.
Bailey's is a hot name selling well ( Irish Cream that is )then perhaps am I going to supply you with whiskey
if it was going to undermine my brand ??? Conjecture just simply conjecture :!:
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:46 pm

I talked to a lady working in Molloy's who had a bottle. She said they sold them in the shop and they were very cheap. I am not saying you're wrong, of course, but I always thought they were on sale for a while.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Raven » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:07 am

I'm definite the launch never happened. It was pulled at the last moment as I recall.
I cannot say what happened to what was already bottled but if it had been for sale in
other shops there then should be a lot more of it around -- it is fairly scarce. From the
design of label, design of bottle ( braille on the actual bottle ) it was never intended to
be a bargain basement whiskey but more like a premium job so some of what was bottled
rather than be wasted could have been sold off cheap.
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Postby kurtbenoit » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:43 pm

If anyone else has any more info on Baileys Whiskey please post it up here. I have a bottle I'm looking to sell and could do with a bit more info to put in the description box. Thanks.
kurtbenoit
Rundlet Cask

Postby Raven » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Just found the advertising material that accompanied my bottle.
One line says' For we have taken traditional, triple distilled Irish Whiskey
and introduced it to the Casks which once housed the Baileys Spirit blend'.
This line is probably where the myth came from about painting cream on the
inside of barrel ------------ no mention whatsoever of anything as heretical as
that !! Very detailed tasting notes from Jim Murray also accompanied it with
his final Comments : ' This is a spankingly good whiskey which makes the mouth
water with its early Pot Still character. heaps of character, enlivened by the Spice
and softened by a gentle sweetness.In this form 'Baileys The Whiskey' has to be
something a genuine whiskey lover must take sertiously. I adore the complexity.
But most of all I love its rugged,unyielding Irishness.'
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Postby Raven » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:12 pm

Just found a reference to a 'Launch' of Bailey's irish Whiskey in Sean Boyd's book
published by Blackwater Press (2009) 'Behind the Horseshoe bar' Page 54 refers to Christina
Forest and John Ryan launched Bailey's Whiskey in the Horseshoe (Shelbourne Hotel)
in 1997 - on the fortieth birthday of the Horseshoe Bar. This small article gives another
reason for its demise --- said it was because 'people always got it mixed up with Bailey's
Cream. This must have been a 'soft' launch sans media as it is my firm belief that an
official launch never occurred.
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Postby wyliedavidson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:41 pm

It is Rare that is for sure. I've spoken to everyone I know in the Industry, some of the most knowledgable people knew almost nothing about it.
That said everyone was very curious about it. Jim Murrays tasting note is of particular interest really.

An associate of mine put me in touch with the Baileys Archivist she said:

They have no record of the number of bottle produced.
They source their Irish whiskey from a number of quality distilleries including the famous Old Bushmills Distillery, County Antrim.
The whiskey for Baileys was sourced from a number of different distilleries one of which may have been The Old Midleton Distillery, Co Cork. This distillery is no longer one of theirs.
In 1998 Baileys launch ‘Baileys The Whiskey’ which used the same blend supplied by Irish Distillers for the Baileys Original Irish Cream.

The last time a bottle of it surfaced what price did it fetch?
wyliedavidson
New Spirit

Postby wyliedavidson » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:34 pm

In 1997, the innovation team at Grand Metropolitan’s spirits division International Distillers and Vintners were about to extend the franchise of the “Baileys” Irish cream liqueur brand. The idea was to turn Baileys – a cream base containing among other things Irish whiskey – into an Irish whiskey base containing cream, chocolate, vanilla etc. The concept was revealed “exclusively” in the “Irish Independent” newspaper on 12th November 1977. A follow-up piece on 12th March 1988 confirmed that the product – now named as “Baileys. The Whiskey” was to be tested in the Dublin market prior to a wider rollout in Ireland and the UK. Before it could go much further however, “Baileys. The Whiskey” ran into a major obstacle in the shape of the Scotch Whisky Association and the European regulations on spirits drinks. The production method used to create “Baileys. The Whiskey” involved finishing the spirit in casks that had been infused with the key flavouring elements from the “Baileys Cream Liqueur” product. This technique was marginal in terms of its adherence to the EU regulations and while in normal times, the management of IDV would have fought its case these were not normal times. IDV’s parent Grand Met had just merged with Guinness PLC to create Diageo in December 1997 and IDV Managing Director John McGrath was in the Chairman’s seat at the SWA. When it became apparent to the wider business that Baileys were engaged in a whisky project that would push the legal boundaries of the EU whisky definition, there were some rapid and terse discussions. The industry was still absorbing the formation of a formidable new lead player in the shape of Diageo and any row with the SWA over what the Association would regard as a non-compliant product would embarrass John McGrath and potentially tarnish his SWA Chairmanship. The decision was taken quickly and effectively. “Baileys. The Whiskey” would be withdrawn with immediate effect. News of the brand’s demise does not appear to have entered the public domain and in the continuing turmoil that marked the integration of the Guinness and Grand Met businesses within Diageo, the project was quickly consigned to history. It is not certain how many bottles ever made it into the Irish licensed trade but it is likely that this is one of only a handful of bottles still in existence. The distinctive bottle departed from the “Baileys Liqueur” pack although the front label retained a family look with a bronzed landscape. In gold beneath this label is a specially composed ode to the spirit.
wyliedavidson
New Spirit

Postby Raven » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Sounds like case closed. I think that's the 'X' file alright :!:
That is the most plausible explanation I have heard to date.
Raven
Rundlet Cask

Re: Baileys Irish Whiskey

Postby barney » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:40 pm

I have 2 bottles sitting on a shelf at home so i'm just wondering how much i should sell them for ?

Also I was given a bottle of this whiskey a few years back and was just wondering it's value and was it worth collecting ? Bushmills 1989 Single Cask (7437) Sherry Hogshead 53.7% Bot 2005

regards
Barney :thumbsup:
barney
New Spirit

Postby ssascott » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:28 am

The whiskey shop at The Temple Bar has a bottle for sale for €700. Just €1 per ml!
ssascott
Quarter Cask

Postby Galeforce » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:15 pm

Hi all.

Some info from the Indo (1998) here... http://www.independent.ie/business/the- ... 92940.html
Also, David Gluckman features 'Baileys The Whiskey' in his new book "That Sh*t will never sell." An excellent read. https://www.facebook.com/That-sht-will- ... 478411058/

Regards.

Terry
Galeforce
New Spirit

Return to Collectors Corner