NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

clever masterchef idea

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

clever masterchef idea

Postby rachel lindsay » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:05 pm

I saw a clever use for wooden wine/whisky presentation boxes on Masterchef. The chef filled the box with some hay, lit it, let the flames go out, put his cooked meat into the smoking hay, closed the lid and left it in until he felt he got the smokey flavour he wanted. So basically something we'd normally throw out he turned into a mini smoker, it would probably work to smoke cheese too. The chef on Masterchef smoked some duck on the night. It looked really good, I'm going to try it some night.
rachel lindsay
New Spirit

Re: clever masterchef idea

Postby Pudge72 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:34 am

mmm...smoked food. :thumbsup:
The wishlist is always growing...
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks for the tip ... mmmm smoked Duck, sounds delish. :thumbsup:

could even add in a few drops of the hard stuff of one's choice for an extra dimension ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Interesting idea but I'd be wondering what chemicals I was leaching out of the wood. It wasn't designed to be food safe so who knows what glues, varnishes, preservatives and bug killers have been used. Maybe I'm just paranoid.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby rachel lindsay » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:25 pm

Shouldn't be a problem, the boxes aren't usually varnished inside and there wouldn't be enough heat generated to release any glues or chemicals. I take your point though, we do have to question what goes into our food preparation.
rachel lindsay
New Spirit

Postby IainB » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:22 am

I've seen it done with a biscuit box so I guess you could use metal whiskey tubs without too much worry. You can also buy oak sawdust from angling shops which could also work but it would be harder to get them to smoulder without an external heat source which I guess rules out wooden boxes. I've hot smoked fish in a metal box before in this way but I've found you need to brine the fish first or it dries out too much. I guess though straw smoking in a wooden box may be different.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:49 am

I have seen, on MasterChef Australia, smoking done just in tin foil and a frying pan or wok.

We should have a recipes forum!
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby aaagul45 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:41 am

It wasn't designed to be food safe so who knows what glues, varnishes, preservatives and bug killers have been used. Maybe I'm just paranoid.?? :?:
GuL
aaagul45
New Spirit

Postby Solianne » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Sound great! :D Have you tried it?
Solianne
New Spirit

Return to Everything Else