NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Euro 2012

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

Euro 2012

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:32 am

Was really looking forward to the Euro 2012 campaign and had great (if optimistic) hopes for Ireland until of course last night :(

I think we can book the plane home ....

Can't really say they deserved to win but the First Goal was very soft, second Goal stung of off-Side and a bit of a defensive disaster, third goal just finished us off totally. We seemed to have no fight against the Croat's and in all fairness to them they were all over us giving us very little chance to pass it around in the second half, closing down options very well. And after seeing Italy in good form against the mighty Spain I fear for the rest of the group stages. We may end up being the whipping boys which would be very sad ...
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: Euro 2012

Postby Stephen » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:17 pm

I think it was always optimistic to think we could get a result out of any game .... our best chance is the game against Italy ... Croatia were always underestimated simply because they are not a traditional soccer powerhouse but you don't get to World number 8 by being soft touches ... (Italy are world number 9 by the way)
Stephen
Rundlet Cask

Postby Pudge72 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:11 pm

Sorry about yesterday's game. I watched a good chunk of it while sipping a Redbreast 12. As a very casual soccer fan (though my interest is growing, so there's hope :) ), I was curious about what the Irish supporters were singing during the last 10 minutes of the match. The play-by-play commentator and the Canadian studio hosts (I was watching on TSN, the Canadian equivalent of ESPN) were suitably impressed by the fan support. If someone could let me know what the song was (with lyrics, or a link, if possible), I would be very interested to know. Thanks! :thumbsup:
The wishlist is always growing...
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Postby JohnM » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:23 pm

It was The Fields of Athenry, a song about hunger, poverty and repression. Everybody dance now!

Pudge72 wrote:Sorry about yesterday's game. I watched a good chunk of it while sipping a Redbreast 12. As a very casual soccer fan (though my interest is growing, so there's hope :) ), I was curious about what the Irish supporters were singing during the last 10 minutes of the match. The play-by-play commentator and the Canadian studio hosts (I was watching on TSN, the Canadian equivalent of ESPN) were suitably impressed by the fan support. If someone could let me know what the song was (with lyrics, or a link, if possible), I would be very interested to know. Thanks! :thumbsup:
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:31 pm

Fields of Athenry:
Dubliners with Paddy Reily.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:03 am

Low lay the fields of Napoli.
Well done Spain.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Pudge72 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm

JohnM wrote:Fields of Athenry:
Dubliners with Paddy Reily.

Thanks for the link JohnM...seeing and hearing the lyrics only reinforces the haunting quality of the song that was conveyed through the TV by the Irish supporters at Euro. It's got the power to choke up even someone with no ties to Ireland (other than taking a 3rd year university history class, and having a desire to travel there!).
The wishlist is always growing...
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Everything Else