NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Knappogue Castle 17yo Twin Wood

Let's talk whiskey.

Knappogue Castle 17yo Twin Wood

Postby DavidH » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Last year we had a 16yo Twin Wood. This site has a 17yo version on the way. Last time around, the malt was finished for 9 months in a sherry cask. This time it's 21 months.

We tried the 16yo at our Bushmills tasting last year. Without digging out my notes, I seem to remember it was already a bit more sherried than I like, even at 9 months. This one must be a sherry monster.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Re: Knappogue Castle 17yo Twin Wood

Postby IainB » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:13 pm

I like the look of that myself but then I reaaly liked the 16. Anyway I think Knappogue is the only way we're going to see any variety out of Bushmills these days.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:37 pm

DavidH wrote:Last year we had a 16yo Twin Wood. This site has a 17yo version on the way. Last time around, the malt was finished for 9 months in a sherry cask. This time it's 21 months.

We tried the 16yo at our Bushmills tasting last year. Without digging out my notes, I seem to remember it was already a bit more sherried than I like, even at 9 months. This one must be a sherry monster.

Nice spot David, however I would not worry about the extra maturing period ... actually I would say you should look forward to it.

The first 10yo sherry finish Tyrconnell kind of dissappointed me. The 11yo Whisky Live Dublin version which was of similar stock but matured for an extra year was to me the real deal.

I too was slightly disappointed (but not as much) with the Knap 16yo but found it much better than the Tyrconnell 10yo (Similar length finish on both) .

For me neither was totally in balance with the finish slightly disjointed.

Further, seemingly, the first year in a sherry cask for finishing imparts the majority of the flavour after that it marries and matures it more. The sherry maturation should feel like part of the whiskey not a flavouring on top of it.

On that note I now have great hopes for the 17yo.

Can't wait, thanks for letting us know :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:12 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Nice spot David, however I would not worry about the extra maturing period ... actually I would say you should look forward to it.

The first 10yo sherry finish Tyrconnell kind of dissappointed me. The 11yo Whisky Live Dublin version which was of similar stock but matured for an extra year was to me the real deal.

Excellent argument! And I certainly won't refuse a taste if one comes my way. I seem to recall some mention of a Bushmills evening in 2012, so perhaps then.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Not sure how anyone else feels, but certainly I for one would like to see some momentum from Bushmills. Very little has changed up there in terms of their range since the last tasting, or the one before that, for that matter. An additional release by a private bottler doesn't really warrant another tasting devoted entirely to them. Perhaps they could instead be included in a Society Irish Single Malt whiskey tasting? Just a thought - unless there are plans for releases out there that we are not yet privy to?!! :D
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby DavidH » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:12 pm

I don't know any more than you do so I'm just kicking a thought around here...

The last Bushmills tasting was done without Diageo's involvement and included none of the current Bushmills line-up. It would be nice to get them in the room so they can share with us what's happening up there. No idea if that's possible. I hope so.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:05 pm

Didn't one of the previous tastings involve a 'competition' between Diageo's Bushmills Vs Diageo's Johnnie Walker with the Master Brewer from Guinness as MC? Pretty sure the main of the Bushmills line up was represented then? I remember WhiskyLive last year when it was clear that sadly they barely made an effort. Can't really understand their approach and at present I don't think it warrants an evening dedicated to their current output. Jmho.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby Fionnán » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:39 pm

hold your horses David, i used to work for Diageo and specifically their whiskey division-- Jim, Leo, and I are working on getting something special arranged and i've been sending out emails to my old bosses but dont want to say too much here yet lest i be accused of breaking promises if things dont work out. but they will. i promise.
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby DavidH » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:31 pm

Great! I kind of figured something must be going on in the background. It was mentioned at one of our meetings as a provisional tasting for this year and coming so soon after 2011's Bushmills tasting it had to be something quite different.

I'll be quiet now *cough* cognac cask *cough* ;)
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby John » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:25 pm

The rest of us will have to start lodging Freedom of Information requests to find out what's happening in the Society soon! Why all the secrecy?! :shock:
John
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:29 pm

I had not heard that either but I am not involved in the tastings full stop ... there is no secrecy though however there is no real point making something public unless we know it's going to happen. And if I'm not mistaken Leo gave a brief run down of the first half of the year at the AGM but the schedule is fluid so if one thing does not happen another is slotted in. How these are organised though is just a few members get a task and they go off and get it organised and then the committee organises the date and bobs your uncle.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:01 pm

There are a couple of people from the committee on this forum, but there is no obvious committee presence or insight into the running of the society via the forum. It does give an impression of secrecy, I think. I still don't know what casks we bought, for example.
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby JohnM » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:40 pm

DavidH wrote:There are a couple of people from the committee on this forum, but there is no obvious committee presence or insight into the running of the society via the forum. It does give an impression of secrecy, I think. I still don't know what casks we bought, for example.

What casks have been bought? Has there been any information in the newsletters?
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:10 pm

On tastings, a preview of the provisional schedule was given at the AGM, but we still operate on a rolling three month confirmation of events, only the next tasting is currently at an advanced stage of organization. The desire is to retain some flexibility but give the organizers time to come up with ideas and source bottlings.

The Greenspot tasting is a good example, line-up only finalised on the Tue before tasting.

On the Cask front we again announced at the AGM that we were in the advanced stages of purchasing casks, confirmed first purchase others in train but not yet completed. You will hear most developments on the forum first.

The important point is the voluntary committee is always trying to work on projects in the background, generally the organization and lead in time can be many months often 6 months to a year. So you can appreciate we will announce any developments when concrete or confirmed.

The committee believes this is the best approach,

To confirm we have reserved with Cooley a new Kilbeggan SPS cask #304 rot. KD11/11 dist. 10/8/11 containing 130.5 lpa.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Return to Whiskey