NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Wikipedia

Other drinks, music, sport, etc.

Wikipedia

Postby Fionnán » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:29 pm

Has anyone ever read the wikipedia articles on "Irish Whiskey" or "Pure Pot Still" whiskey? They're absolutely terrible and littered with crap like "Pot still blends like greenspot vs single malts like bushmills." I suppose the PPS article shouldnt even exist as the names been changed for quite some time now but its been hijacked by editers who assume its an article about the theoretical use of a pot still at all and have gotten rid of any national or unmalted/malted mixture references. anyway, as i know the society is very interested in educating the public about irish whiskey and wikipedia is a hugely influential space, i thought i should bring it to your attention in case anyone has the time to go over there and do some clean up work.
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Re: Wikipedia

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:51 am

Possibly something we should put some thought into all right but unfortunately we've not even made a proper attempt on our own site yet :oops:

Time is our enemy ;)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:27 am

I offered to curate the Irish whiskey links on the Open Directory Project. After I had cleaned up the existing links and added some new ones I got detailed feedback which explained how everything I did was wrong. I gave up, because it was a choice between something useful, and something that adhered to strict guidelines but didn't point people to good info.

So I kinda prefer the freedom of writing on my own site. It's not comprehensive but it adds a little to the global store of Irish whiskey knowledge via Google.
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:59 pm

DavidH wrote:I offered to curate the Irish whiskey links on the Open Directory Project. After I had cleaned up the existing links and added some new ones I got detailed feedback which explained how everything I did was wrong. I gave up, because it was a choice between something useful, and something that adhered to strict guidelines but didn't point people to good info.

So I kinda prefer the freedom of writing on my own site. It's not comprehensive but it adds a little to the global store of Irish whiskey knowledge via Google.

Well David if you found it challenging how the hell are us mere mortals supposed to do it ;-)
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby DavidH » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:55 pm

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:Well David if you found it challenging how the hell are us mere mortals supposed to do it ;-)

I could just be wrong :-) It happens a lot!
Twitter: @LiquidIrish
DavidH
Fully mature Cask

Postby scotty » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:36 pm

for what little it may be worth. You folks have educated me a great deal with your patient replys to many of my posts. doesnt wikapedia allow folks to write in comments ???
still searching for the knowledge
scotty
Rundlet Cask

Postby Fionnán » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:55 pm

ok so i've decided to bite the bullet and take care of this this week as i think its important to get real information into such a widely read resource if we're serious about educating the public. I've talked to some Wikipedia-buffs on the website about citation processes and editing etc and i think i've got them on board. If anyone wants to join in, feel free. Does anyone have any links to internet sites with information from historical sources. Nothing from IDL itself or any other corporate interest will work and, as happy as i'd be to quote alfred barnard etc, reliable references to these kinds of texts need to be dug up online for this to be done to last. cheers!
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Fionnán » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:20 pm

After a lot of wikipedia wading etc, i've at least set up a stub on Single Pot Still Whiskey and nominated the old "Pure Pot Still Whiskey" article (which was full of misinformed edits deleting any reference to mixed mash or ireland etc) for immediate deletion. The current stub doesnt have much info, but at least i can sleep knowing i've done my bit to get rid of the misinformation. If IDL's current bout of promotion keeps up, i'm sure people will begin checking that page and its good to at least give them the bare bones rather than nothing or, worse, what was there before. Any help or extra edits would be wonderful :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Pot_Still_Whiskey
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:47 pm

Well done Fionnán,
You'd know there's a book in you. How is your project going?
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Postby Fionnán » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:04 pm

oh! it's coming along rather well-- I'm coincidently finishing up the section about the demise of commercial distilling in Connacht tonight, goodness knows its been in the works long enough. Unfortunately, until i get back to Dublin in June i can't work on any of the really fun contemporary bits that involve excuses to drink.
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:05 pm

scotty wrote:for what little it may be worth. You folks have educated me a great deal with your patient replys to many of my posts. doesnt wikapedia allow folks to write in comments ???

I does but I've never got it to work for me. I'm only new to all these computer and stuff.
I live in the sticks as they say,but i actually live about 2 and 1/2 miles after the sticks. Until recently the only broadband around here was holding up my trousers.
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Return to Everything Else