NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Whisky Live Dublin 2011 Sat 14th May

Everything Irish Whiskey Society related.

Postby JohnM » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:41 pm

I don't know how many tickets are being sold through the whisky live website, but I believe sales elsewhere are slow... They should be advertising this more, no? Maybe it's doing just fine, of course, but they should be getting on the radio etc - maybe a few ticket giveaways on radio shows for advertising?
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Re: Whisky Live

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:23 pm

Good point John, you really need to get your name out there to get these things off the ground. Especially in Ireland where there does seem to be limited appeal.

Would love to see this do well but there needs to be a decent push on it.

As you say though it may also be quietly happening in the back round. But to get it even to the wider public who may not attend may still plant a seed in peoples minds.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: Whisky Live Dublin 2011

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:15 am

Hi all,

http://www.whiskylive.com/ireland/31/dublin-2011

The committee are pleased to announce in addition to organising the group booking discount of 20% the society are topping up the discount to 33% for members.

Members are asked to book early to ensure they can avail of the full discount €30 instead of €45 @ http://bookwhen.com/iws

This offer will close well in advance of the event. We can only reserve places with the organisers for a short period.

Please remember to book any Master Classes directly with the whiskylive website.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Re: Whisky Live Dublin 2011 Sat 14th May 2-7pm

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:20 am

Details:
Whisky Live Dublin, The world’s premier whiskey tasting show makes its debut in Dublin at The Mansion House Round Room, Dawson Street, Dublin 2 Whisky Live brings the whiskies of the world together under one stunning location; from Ireland, Scotland, America and Japan with food and whiskey combinations and exclusive Masterclasses.
We at the Irish Whiskey Society have obtained a group discount for our members and can offer Saturday Full Day Visitor passes for the price of €30 (Normal Price €45). This will entitle you to the following:

Entrance to Whisky Live Dublin on Saturday 14th May from 2pm - 7pm Includes a selection of hot food, eight sample vouchers, show tasting glass, copy of Whisky Magazine, the Whisky Magazine Tastings Journal, show guide and whiskey miniatures

Tickets will be issued at the show and are non refundable.

There are a selection of Masterclasses being run at WhiskyLive, entrance to these are booked separately. Details and booking information can be found here WhiskyLive Dublin
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:29 am

Exhibitors ...

Whisk(e)y

Benriach
Bushmills
Celtic Whisky Shop
Connemara
Cooley
Duncan Taylor (Independent Bottler)
Glendronach
Greenore
Jameson
Kilbeggan
Powers
Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey
Springbank
Tullamore Dew
Wild Geese
William Grant and Sons

Other

Bórd Bia
Four Seasons
Glencairn Crystal
Whisky Magazine

Over view

Benriach is one of the lesser known scotch distilleries but over the last few years has had a lot of renewed interest. They get some very favourable comments on their older aged expressions and newer heavier peated offerings on Scotch whisky forums. Benriach historically was lightly peated but now have also gone for heavier peated versions. They also offer good value for money in comparison to more main stream brands.

Cooley et al is mentioned as 4 different exhibitors so whether they have 4 stands or not is another thing. They have been listed as Cooley, Connemara, Kilbeggan and Greenore.

Duncan Taylor is an Independent Bottler and bottle a wide range of Scotch distilleries so depending on what they have at their stand it will be a good chance to try some different scotch distilleries, anything from Ardmore and Bladnoch to Laphroig or Scapa, personally I'd love it if they had a bottle of Glen Scotia to taste. They have ranges called Peerless, Rare Auld & Battle Hill one of which we had in one of our tastings last year. They also create Auld Reekie and The Big Smoke bottlings. See Here for the range of casks they have to pick from.. What they will have on offer on the day though is another question.

Glendronach is historically associated with their heavily sherried whisky. The 12yo Original is a good indication of thier style but as with most distilleries do=ue to the high costs of Sherry casks they too have begun to come out with a lot of lighter bourbon matured and sometimes finished in other casks.

Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey This is obviously going to be from IDL and hopefully we will know clearly what is in store in a fwe weeks. Exciting stuff .... a new SPS line possibly :?: 8-)

IDL also are down for Jameson and Powers stands. So if IDL and Cooley all have seperate stands for their various brands it will make the show much more interesting.

Springbank a wonderful little distillery in Campletown on the Mull of Kintire. Quite a distintive malt 2 and a half times distilled with characteristics of salt and ginger. Possibly a love it or leave whisky for some but definitely worth a try, you won't know unless you try. They also have the Longrow brand which basically a more peated version of Springbank and Hazelburn which is a triple distilled version, what a difference that half extra distilation makes ;) :P . Next door to Springbank distillery is the Glengyle Distillery which they opened in 2005 and it produces Kilkerran which I can't really comment on as I've not tried it.

William Grant and Sons It is unclear whether there will be a seperate William Grant stand or if it will be just Tullamore but they also own Grants, Glenfiddich & Balvennie. grants is one of the big big world blends with Grants The Family Reserve being the 3rd biggest seller in the UK and they have total sales of their various blends world wide of 20million cases. Glenfiddich needs no introduction but is possibly the first mass marketed Single Malt in the world back in the 60's as previously single malts were more often than not local affairs. Lastly is The Balvennie a single Malt with is quite smooth and rounded and possibly a good introduction to Single Malts for the Irish Whiskey drinker. Grants is possibly the only family run whisky business at this scale.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:52 pm

Of course the Irish Whiskey Society will also be sharing a stand, possibly with L Mulligan Grocer and some Craft Beers guys afaik (Beoir?)
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby Michael Foggarty » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:23 pm

Ive arranged for the IWS to have their own stand now.

There are several other exhibitors not on the above list or on the Whisky Live website, dotting "eyes" and crossing "tees" at the mo.

Tickets sales are fine, but there will be a push in the final 2 weeks leading up to it, the mansion house can only accomodate so many people.

Duncan Taylor will be showing Black Bull 12 yo and 40 yo as well as a couple of single casks(i havent decide which ones i want to show) The big smoke range will be available for sampling on another stand as we have matched it with some cheese.

The show is sold out to exhibitors and it promises to be a great annual event in Ireland.
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:22 am

Michael Foggarty wrote:Ive arranged for the IWS to have their own stand now.

There are several other exhibitors not on the above list or on the Whisky Live website, dotting "eyes" and crossing "tees" at the mo.

Tickets sales are fine, but there will be a push in the final 2 weeks leading up to it, the mansion house can only accomodate so many people.

Duncan Taylor will be showing Black Bull 12 yo and 40 yo as well as a couple of single casks(i havent decide which ones i want to show) The big smoke range will be available for sampling on another stand as we have matched it with some cheese.

The show is sold out to exhibitors and it promises to be a great annual event in Ireland.

Excellent news on the Blackbull 40yo there was rave reviews of the 30yo and it sold out quickly first time around and was a very reasonable price ... No such luck on subsequent bottling but probably still offer value for money. Looking forward to tasting the 12yo too of course. Thanks for the heads up Michael.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed May 04, 2011 10:19 am

I see Bowmore have been added to the Line Up

As has Nikka Whisky (Also Mosrrison Bowmore) as well as Woodford Reserve and Signatory independent bottlers.

I hear all main IDL & Cooley brands will have their own separate stands so that will add to the atmosphere and make a decent amount of stands to explore.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby JohnM » Wed May 04, 2011 10:22 am

Bowmore and Nikka are being represented by the Celtic Whiskey Shop. I think they'll have a few stands, though.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed May 04, 2011 11:29 am

JohnM wrote:Bowmore and Nikka are being represented by the Celtic Whiskey Shop. I think they'll have a few stands, though.

Thanks John, good to know. :thumbsup:
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby kurtbenoit » Fri May 13, 2011 1:09 am

Anyone know if it's possiblet o buy the tickets for the masterclasses on the day? Or is advanced booking required?
kurtbenoit
Rundlet Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Fri May 13, 2011 8:37 am

I think some classes have places remaining, I'm sure you can try on the day, but try online first!
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri May 13, 2011 9:58 am

kurtbenoit wrote:Anyone know if it's possiblet o buy the tickets for the masterclasses on the day? Or is advanced booking required?

Yes master classes are fairly limited and to give you an idea of this is that there would be around 50 or 60 places in ratio to the 700 general entry tickets. Not sure if it is anyway close to being sold out but even if you have only half that say 350 people attending it still does not leave you with much scope. Best just to pick say 2 (Unless you are really kean ;) ) and pre book them and then you can plan your day.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby kurtbenoit » Fri May 13, 2011 10:28 am

thanks lads. Also the date of the event is wrong on this topic banner. Can someone change so people don't think it's next week or the week after.
kurtbenoit
Rundlet Cask

Postby JohnM » Fri May 13, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks a million. I should have spotted that... It's now changed.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IainB » Fri May 13, 2011 10:40 am

JohnM wrote:Thanks a million. I should have spotted that... It's not changed.

You're an editor right?? Also should you have typed "now changed"?
IainB
Hogshead

Re: Whisky Live Dublin 2011 Sat 14th May 2-7pm TOMORROW

Postby JohnM » Fri May 13, 2011 10:43 am

I never said I was a good editor...

I'm also an idiot.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Fri May 13, 2011 11:20 am

JohnM wrote:I never said I was a good editor...

I'm also an idiot.

lucky for you your not that great an idiot either (That's a compliment by the way ;) )
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Michael Foggarty » Fri May 13, 2011 11:34 am

Masterclasses sales will stop at 6 pm tonight i recommend you buy online ASAP as it is unlikely that there will be any left, it is literally one or two space available in each class left at present.

I would also recommend that anyone who hasnt bought an entry ticket, buy one today as there might be none available on the day.
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Postby IainB » Fri May 13, 2011 11:45 am

IrishWhiskeyChaser wrote:
JohnM wrote:I never said I was a good editor...

I'm also an idiot.

lucky for you your not that great an idiot either (That's a compliment by the way ;) )

Unless what JohnM always wanted was to achieve greatness in some area of life in which case you've just crushed his ambitions.
IainB
Hogshead

Postby JohnM » Fri May 13, 2011 2:16 pm

Ambition? Me?!? Goodness no.
JohnM
Fully mature Cask

Postby kurtbenoit » Fri May 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Got tickets to the Kilbeggan and Cooley Masterclasses, but unfortunately the Single Pot Still Masterclass was sold out.
kurtbenoit
Rundlet Cask

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Fri May 13, 2011 7:12 pm

Heidi Donlan, will be running mini-whiskey trails on the day, you could sign up for one of those...
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Fri May 13, 2011 8:21 pm

TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Next

Return to Society