NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Moonshine

For non-Irish whiskeys

Moonshine

Postby Onehungsmall » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:22 pm

Hey guys i love corn whiskey i grew up with my grandfarther making corn whiskey (moonshine). People say it is strong this is very true but it is pure and clean i make my own and it is so much better then irish whiskey ... in my 15 years drinking moonshine i have never had a hang over can anyone say the same about irish whiskeys. You can drink pure moonshine on its own if you have done it correctly and sperated the heads hearts and tails. If this process is done correctly you will have a good sipping whiskey yes you can mix it with any thing depending favor preference .... hey guys i dont know weather it is illeagle to make your own but my feeling is this why by s*** when you can make your ... i am interested in this field and very interested in starting my own line of clear whiskeys in ireland
Onehungsmall
New Spirit

Re: Moonshine

Postby Onehungsmall » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:33 pm

Guys and gals dont get me wrong irish whiskey is good and so is moonshine you can trust me when i say is this moonshine is smooth if you know what you are doing these people who have tryed to make and have failed..... is only do to there inexperence and knowledge of moonshine... in my house we only drink what we make
Onehungsmall
New Spirit

Postby ridge004 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:53 am

Where are you located?
ridge004
New Spirit

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:21 am

In Ireland Moonshine is called Potcheen or Poitín.

It is legal to make it in Ireland but only under license. It is highly illegal to do your own here.

There are already several company's distilling and selling it, with versions anywhere from 40% to 90% abv (80-180 proof)

Like moonshine there has been a long history of illicit poitín being made in Ireland and I believe it still happens to this day.

However I think it would take you a long time to convince the hoards on here that moonshine or Poitín can beat a good whiskey.

Something may be smooth but unless it spends a part of it's life in wood you are only getting half of the story in regards to taste.

Possibly your product is a superior product to say a $10 bottle of whiskey but there is a lot more interesting whiskeys out there than that.

However at the end of the day it is not even down to the differences between whiskey and moonshine but really it all has to do with personal taste.

Best of luck with your endeavours
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby Good Whiskey Hunting » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:38 pm

You wouldn't be allowed to make Corn Moonshine or a similar product here and call it whiskey. I know their a little more liberal with the definition State side.

I've tried a lot of different Poitíns and a few corn Moonshines but wouldn't even compare it to whiskey.

Poitín depends so much on ingredients and cuts. The still is another factor. Lots of Poitín I taste now are no better than unfiltered vodka.

The moonshine that makes it here is bland enough too.

I believe there's no spirit like good whiskey. The spirit take so much from the wood while it loses lots of its nasty flavours over time.

What whiskeys have you tried that had tarnished your opinion?
Four blessings upon you - Older whiskey - Younger women - Faster horses - More money
https://twitter.com/potstillwhiskey
https://facebook.com/potstillwhiskey/
https://www.instagram.com/potstillwhiskey/
Good Whiskey Hunting
Fully mature Cask

Return to Other Whiskeys