NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Midleton Single Cask SPS 71578

Midleton Whiskey tasting notes
Jameson, Midleton, Paddy, Powers, (Green & Yellow) Spot, Redbreast

Midleton Single Cask SPS 71578

Postby Fionnán » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:53 pm

thought i'd start posting some of the notes i've been keeping for the SPS project.

These are the notes i took for the 3rd CWS Midleton Single Cask (2010). First fill bourbon barrel SPS. Cask #71578. 46% ABV. Bonded 10 December 1996.

Nose: Banana, a little grass-- fresh cut grass specifically and a weird fresh cut cilantro type aroma at the back of the nose. A late spring type version of the usual SPS spice you'd get off something closer to a Greenspot. the familiar bourbon barrel honey and vanilla notes are hard to find but the legacy has definitely brought out some strange character in the native pot still aromas.

Palate: Pot-still spice in a light spring laid-back interpretation with none of the intense raw ginger I usually get from a midleton-make sps but, if you look for it through the fresh grass flavors, the ginger is still there.

Finish: this is where the bourbon influence seems to have been hiding. creamy vanilla in a big way mixed with more of that same fresh cut grass interpretation of SPS spice (but still laid back).

After a dash of water...

Nose: light bourbon influence, instead of bananas it becomes almost like banana flavored candy, (think laffy taffy banana). Dead-ends a bit in comparison to the unwatered nose.

Palate: more laffy taffy banana with warm familiar SPS character mixing in well. The SPS spice is more allspice than cinnamon spice.

Finish: Warm SPS spice mixed with a thick wave of the same laffy taffy banana candy flavor. Spice not as long as the unwatered dram.
Fionnán
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Midleton