NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Bushmills Blackbush

Bushmills Whiskey tasting notes
Bushmills blend, Blackbush, 10yo, 16yo & 21yo and other official Bushmills Releases.

Bushmills Blackbush

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue May 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Nose: Spice Sherry and Raisins

Taste: Full flavour fruit cake

Finish: Rich fruit cake sweetness and dry wood spice

Comment: Excellent malt heavy blend from Bushmills which beats their 10yo & 16yo Single Malts for me.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Re: Bushmills Blackbush

Postby Pudge72 » Sat May 26, 2012 5:54 pm

(Copied and slightly altered from my posting on the WWW forum)

Nose - Seemingly unique to most other reviews that I have read, the primary aroma I note is the pleasant sweetness of a red apple (as opposed to the tartness of most green apples). Significant secondary aroma is a host of baking spices, with cinnamon in the mix. A soft, buttery aroma is also present. In one nosing, I detected a hint of light, pleasant, smoke as well, though this was not present during other samplings, so it appears to be an outlier aroma...please comment if you have picked this up as well at some point.

Taste - The baking spice mix (cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves blended nicely together) takes centre stage on the palate, with the apple and butter notes also continuing through from the nose on a supporting basis. Overall, the intensity of the taste does not match that of the aromas initially presented. The aromas transfer nicely to the mouth, with the various notes co-existing very nicely.

Finish - The baking spices complete a wonderful journey from nose to mouth to throat, maintaining their balanced co-existence. The red apple that was so prominent in the nose has now transitioned to a minor, still nicely complementary, finishing note that I wish had held a little stronger. The overall finish is medium length without being overpowering.

Overall, a very pleasant offering that is a great value (relatively speaking) in Ontario. I will not hesitate to pick up another bottle in the future.
The wishlist is always growing...
Pudge72
Bourbon Barrel

Return to Bushmills