NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Kilbeggan Distillery Reserve Malt Whiskey (2010)

Original Cooley whiskey tasting notes
Connemara, Greenore, Inishowen, Kilbeggan, Locke's, Miller's & Tyrconnell

Kilbeggan Distillery Reserve Malt Whiskey (2010)

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:07 pm

Kilbeggan Distillery Reserve Malt Whiskey 40%

Nose: A much heavier nose than the Cooley Riverstown style. Even though at only 40% it seems to have a bit of nose prickle. Pungent sweet Malt (not over powering though), plasticine & a touch of rubber, stewed fruits ( apple orange and lemon) with cinnamon, (Think of a mulled wine without the wine if you get my drift).

Taste: Lovely Tartness at the start, hot in parts even (probably due to the youth of this Malt) but there is a lovely soft mouth feel to this whiskey... the stewed fruits continue in the taste with Cinnamon but also almond, A little wood and a spice sparkle on the tongue. Lovely and rich flavours all intermingle like a sweet rich Belgium beer all underlined by sweet sugary syrup however possibly a touch of bitter wood sap which is a slight negative.

Finish: The spice and rich sweetness fades into a drying warm finish where the spice and wood remains on the tongue and to me is quite long.

Over all: Sweetness and Spice. An intriguingly unique and enjoyable Irish Malt full of flavour that be-lies its age even though it probably is a tad immature. However it is well worth the punt in my view. I wonder if it is coloured though as it has a grand golden hue. On first visit I really liked this but I suppose I should reserve judgement until I give it a few more goes.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Return to Cooley OB