NOTE: This forum is no longer active. This is an archive copy of the forum as it was on 10 March 2018.

Willie Napier.

Need to find out about your dusty old bottle? Ask here.
Discussion on Collectable Whiskey.

Willie Napier.

Postby John » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:37 am

Hi All,
Can anyone offer any specific information on the provenance of the Willie Napier bottling from the Tullamore Distillery? I'm trying to get some batch details on it but the information seems very scarce!
Cheers, :thumbsup:
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Re: Willie Napier.

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:41 pm

Hi John,

DO you have a bottle???

I can only tell you what it says on the Bottle and box.

Aquired in 1945??? (So this could mean it was actually distilled even earlier).

Bottled in 1989

Curiously it is a 750ml bottle.

40% abv

Aged 44 Years (Probably should say at least 44years old)

114 Bottles

Came in a wooden box with 2 glencairn glasses and appeared on the market a few years ago exclusively in the CWS@(I think). So makes you wonder where these bottles were stashed for nearly 20 years ????

Basically the box says.

"In 1945 William J Napier owner of the Central Bar in Lisburn aquired a cask of truely rare Irish Whiskey from the Tullamore Distillery. Due to extreme shortages at the time such a cask was worth more than it's weight in gold. Realising the Value of such an aqusition WIlliam decided to put the cask up in bond until it could be fully appreciated for all it's wonderful characteristics. 44 years later the cask came out of bond and was bottled. Only 114 bottles eventually made it into circulation of which I am one"
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby John » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi Adrian,
I actually have a bottle myself - but many thanks for going to the trouble of detailing the info above :thumbsup:
Trouble is when you go looking for more information about the cask etc. you seem to hit a brick wall. I've even corresponded with the manager at the Tullamore Distillery in the hope that they might have greater detail on file , but as yet to no avail. :shock:
We'll crack the case eventually :D
Cheers,
John.
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore; always carry a small snake - W.C. Fields et al.
John
Hogshead

Postby TheWhiskeyBro » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:55 pm

I'd say you'd be lucky to find out any more details, your best bet would be to ask Ally himself or contact the proprietors of the Central Bar in Lisburn. If the Knappogues are anything to go by, you'll find it difficult even to get a cask number. If you were determined enough you might be able to get the details from the bonded warehouse if you knew where it was stored.
TheWhiskeyBro
Hogshead

Postby John » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:06 pm

Unfortunately I've drawn a bit of a blank on this. Having contacted the Manager at the TD Visitor Centre who in turn had contacted a local historian, I'm still no closer to getting some 'behind the scenes' information on this release! It's almost as if it appeared out of thin air! Maybe it's a magic bottle, that's got to be worth a bit of premiumisation at the very least :lol:
John.
John
Hogshead

Postby varizoltan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:34 am

John wrote:Unfortunately I've drawn a bit of a blank on this. Having contacted the Manager at the TD Visitor Centre who in turn had contacted a local historian, I'm still no closer to getting some 'behind the scenes' information on this release! It's almost as if it appeared out of thin air! Maybe it's a magic bottle, that's got to be worth a bit of premiumisation at the very least :lol:
John.

...at least i have a bottle...and it is my first collectors item bottle...i was told when i got it...
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:00 pm

It is quite reasonable that this would not be catalogued ... Firstly the way this has been marketed it might read that this whiskey was bought specially to be kept for a good day. However I very much doubt it though ... What you probably have here is a cask of whiskey which was bought for bar use and forgotten. It was normal and common place for bars to get in casks of whiskey. Further the pub in question may have gone through a wholesaler/agent to get said whiskey therefore no real paper trail to follow from the Distillery.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby IainB » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:29 pm

Has anyone asked Ally?
IainB
Hogshead

Postby Michael Foggarty » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Bought for bar use then forgotten.

When the owner passed away the family decided to bottle it. Now they never got anyone to bottle it, they done it themselves first. Yes they cut the whiskey with good old tap water and stuck it in a bottle! As a result the whiskey was sent to Scotland where it under went some teatment to return it to its original state and bottled properly!
Michael Foggarty
Rundlet Cask

Postby John » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:30 am

Fair play Michael - thanks for the info :thumbsup:
The release certainly seems to have a colourful history!
Cheers,
John.
John
Hogshead

Postby matt » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi all,
On my last visit to Ireland i met sombody that has a bottle of Willie Napier. If i am looky, i can buy it off him next time.
Has anybody a idea, what the bottle price was when it was first released?
matt
Rundlet Cask

Postby varizoltan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:20 pm

matt wrote:Hi all,
On my last visit to Ireland i met sombody that has a bottle of Willie Napier. If i am looky, i can buy it off him next time.
Has anybody a idea, what the bottle price was when it was first released?

i got it a good few years ago from the Celtic Whiskey Shop for 500 euros,

i do not think it was any cheaper before
Happiness is having a rare steak,a bottle of whiskey, and a dog to eat the rare steak!!!
varizoltan
Fully mature Cask

Postby IrishWhiskeyChaser » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:00 am

Correct it was released at a price of €500 and if your lucky there may even be one still available in Celtic Whiskey Shop but I could not be sure. If he's looking for more give me a shout and I may be able to do something for you.
Sláinte Adrian
IrishWhiskeyChaser
Site Admin

Postby matt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Thank you for the reply.
Dont know a price jet. Maybe a get back to you.Cheers
matt
Rundlet Cask

Return to Collectors Corner